Ragdoll Cats

Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think my cat has some Ragdoll in him. I googled a picture a Ragdoll and he looks the image of one. The vet did say to me he looks like a Ragdoll but because I got him from the RSPCA I didn't take him seriously. Today I let him out again and he fell in the pond and managed to scramble out but was quite shocked. He loves it out in the garden but I have read that Ragdolls cannot be let out because they are likely to be injured by other cats because they won't fight back. All my other cats have been moggies so I am at a loss what to do about this cat. Should I keep indoors or let him out? I am very worried about him because he seems to be a bit clumsy.

Comments

• TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    what a load of crap, most ragdolls i know would kick a standard moggies ass i know mine would she is an evil bitch and far too intelligent to fall in a pond.

Sounds like you just have a thick cat
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do not reply to the troll. Save your breath honest folks :)
  • blossom24blossom24 Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    dollymarie wrote: »

ditto ! :D
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Op you are a physcho
  • hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    I don't mind the op, she's harmless I think.

My Ragdoll fell in the bath as kitten a few times and was always getting wet in the shower. Complained loudly about getting wet, but it didn't stop him doing it again the next day. :D It's not stupidity or clumsiness, he was just fascinated by water (and wanted to be with me). That's a typical Ragdoll trait.

Their lack of instinct to defend themselves and their sociable natures are also typical Ragdoll traits. For this reason they must be kept indoors. This is well documented.

But breed characteristics are one thing, an individual cats personality is another- particularly if it has a bit of Ragdoll rather than being wholly Ragdoll. And obviously, it's not really how the cat looks that dictates whether it needs to be indoor- its the nature.
    Forum Member
    husted wrote: »
    I don't mind the op, she's harmless I think.

My Ragdoll fell in the bath as kitten a few times and was always getting wet in the shower. Complained loudly about getting wet, but it didn't stop him doing it again the next day. :D It's not stupidity or clumsiness, he was just fascinated by water (and wanted to be with me). That's a typical Ragdoll trait.

Their lack of instinct to defend themselves and their sociable natures are also typical Ragdoll traits. For this reason they must be kept indoors. This is well documented.

But breed characteristics are one thing, an individual cats personality is another- particularly if it has a bit of Ragdoll rather than being wholly Ragdoll. And obviously, it's not really how the cat looks that dictates whether it needs to be indoor- its the nature.

That may be the case of the original rag dolls and the American ones but most of the ones I have met are more than ample at defending themselves and do have self preservation instincts
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »
    That may be the case of the original rag dolls and the American ones but most of the ones I have met are more than ample at defending themselves and do have self preservation instincts

Some Ragdolls won't conform to the breed standard.

But I can provide umpteen internet links confirming that the breed standard is that Ragdolls have a docile, sociable and non-aggressive nature.
    Forum Member
    Some Ragdolls won't conform to the breed standard.

But I can provide umpteen internet links confirming that the breed standard is that Ragdolls have a docile, sociable and non-aggressive nature.

Maybe but I will contest that some of that has been lost since they were imported and started breeding over here which is far better in my mind, docile and non aggressive is debateable I know some right ragdoll thugs and my girl would take anything on but she just like her mother a feisty Intelligent bitch,
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »

This.

Feisty Ragdoll or Docile Ragdoll. All Ragdolls are perfect.:)

Unlike the OP.
    Forum Member
    Maybe but I will contest that some of that has been lost since they were imported and started breeding over here which is far better in my mind, docile and non aggressive is debateable I know some right ragdoll thugs and my girl would take anything on but she just like her mother a feisty Intelligent bitch,

It's not been lost at all. Ragdolls are still Ragdolls.

If you are breeding Ragdolls with non-Ragdolls then you have cross-breeds and moggies. Evidently you've been meeting those cats.

You can argue that cross-breeds are better if you like. But what I'm talking about is Ragdolls and the Ragdoll breed is docile, sociable and non-aggressive.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,781
    Forum Member
    One of my colleagues paid a lot of money for a pedigree ragdoll and he apparently behaves just like any other cat. He has a cat flap and goes outside when he chooses. He's now about 7 and my colleague says he has never encountered any problems outdoors. I think a lot depends on how you treat the cat - if you believe ragdolls are extremely docile and non aggressive then you will want to protect and cosset them by keeping them indoors. It can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. My colleague, from the beginning, just treated his cat like any other cat so the cat behaves like any other cat and exhibits normal cat behaviours.

I've seen photographs and I must admit that he's a lot more beautiful than a standard moggy and I can understand why owners, having paid a lot of money, want to protect their ragdolls. I can also understand that if people want to keep an indoor cat (eg because of where they live) then the ragdoll breed may be more amenable to being kept indoors but, anecdotally, there doesn't seem to be much evidence for rigidly keeping these cats indoors - no matter what is said about the 'breed standard', cats are still cats.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know anything about Ragdoll cats except my friend has one and she is just the most beautiful cat I have ever seen. She does go out but they have a large secure garden and she never tries to go beyond the garden.
  • sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Mine's beautiful but can be miserable and hates one of my other cats and will certainly give her a beating at times! She's very docile with people though.

She does go out and would be very miserable indoors but she doesn't go far - only goes next door to say hello to the neighbour!
    Forum Member
    It's not been lost at all. Ragdolls are still Ragdolls.

If you are breeding Ragdolls with non-Ragdolls then you have cross-breeds and moggies. Evidently you've been meeting those cats.

You can argue that cross-breeds are better if you like. But what I'm talking about is Ragdolls and the Ragdoll breed is docile, sociable and non-aggressive.

You're assuming a lot I certainly am not my family breed them and we have lots of grand champions and several imperials, I have met hundreds and most of them aren't meek and mild and have bags of personality. Breeding of rag dolls is well regulated by the GCCF. I know a lot if breeders that have moved on to breeding ragamuffins now but I still prefer the dolls
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    how can someone who`s had multiple cats [allegedly] have so little knowledge?:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    MarellaK wrote: »
    One of my colleagues paid a lot of money for a pedigree ragdoll and he apparently behaves just like any other cat. He has a cat flap and goes outside when he chooses. He's now about 7 and my colleague says he has never encountered any problems outdoors. I think a lot depends on how you treat the cat - if you believe ragdolls are extremely docile and non aggressive then you will want to protect and cosset them by keeping them indoors. It can be a self-fulfilling prophecy. My colleague, from the beginning, just treated his cat like any other cat so the cat behaves like any other cat and exhibits normal cat behaviours.

I've seen photographs and I must admit that he's a lot more beautiful than a standard moggy and I can understand why owners, having paid a lot of money, want to protect their ragdolls. I can also understand that if people want to keep an indoor cat (eg because of where they live) then the ragdoll breed may be more amenable to being kept indoors but, anecdotally, there doesn't seem to be much evidence for rigidly keeping these cats indoors - no matter what is said about the 'breed standard', cats are still cats.

I agree with you there if you treat a cat like a cat they will inevitable behave like a cat, I admit mine is from a line of feisty ragdolls but speaking to lots of breeders at shows most of theirs are like normal cats but can be a bit easier for humans handling wise but mine certainly gets her claws out to batter other cats and my children for that matter.

Also the cat that rules the neighbourhood where I live is a male bi colour ragdoll that lives three doors down he is a force to be reckoned with no other cat stands a chance he's a beast
    Forum Member
    I agree with you there if you treat a cat like a cat they will inevitable behave like a cat,

My parents have a persian cross breed (though she looks pure persian), beautiful, white and fluffy, who spends most of her time out on the farm getting dirty, killing mice and eyeing up the birds. My parents have always treated her just like any other cat - she certainly doesn't fit her primary breed characteristics. Probably if she had been adopted by another type of couple she would now be a cosseted, pampered, indoor, preening diva. :)
    Forum Member
    You're assuming a lot I certainly am not my family breed them and we have lots of grand champions and several imperials, I have met hundreds and most of them aren't meek and mild and have bags of personality. Breeding of rag dolls is well regulated by the GCCF. I know a lot if breeders that have moved on to breeding ragamuffins now but I still prefer the dolls

I was assuming nothing about you. I meant 'you' as in anyone. Perhaps I should've said 'they'.

But you said they "started breeding over here " which rather implies breeding with cats that are not Ragdolls because Ragdolls are an American breed.

However I dont believe you breed 'Ragdoll thugs'. That's just rubbish. Cats have individual personalities, but as a breed they are gentle.

I didn't say they are 'meek and mild' . They are in fact often over-confident and won't run from danger.

If you know about the GCCF, you'll know what they say about Ragdolls:
    The cats should be relaxed in temperament, gentle and easy to handle.
    http://www.rfci.org/standards/gccf_std.php

So NOT thugs! LOL!

Frankly, I'd feel disappointed if my Raggie didn't behave like a Ragdoll. There are plenty of cute cats, but it's their nature that makes them special.
    Forum Member
    I was assuming nothing about you. I meant 'you' as in anyone. Perhaps I should've said 'they'.

But you said they "started breeding over here " which rather implies breeding with cats that are not Ragdolls because Ragdolls are an American breed.

However I dont believe you breed 'Ragdoll thugs'. That's just rubbish. Cats have individual personalities, but as a breed they are gentle.

I didn't say they are 'meek and mild' . They are in fact often over-confident and won't run from danger.

If you know about the GCCF, you'll know what they say about Ragdolls:

http://www.rfci.org/standards/gccf_std.php

So NOT thugs! LOL!

Frankly, I'd feel disappointed if my Raggie didn't behave like a Ragdoll. There are plenty of cute cats, but it's their nature that makes them special.

As a breed i do believe the imports when shipped from america are far more breed standard limp like and ragdoll like than what we breed in England now

I didnt say i breed thugs in fact i dont breed at all i said my cat is a thug but all the females in her line (of which we have four her mum grandmother and great grandmother) are fietsy intelligent and independant little madams with big attitudes my cat is a roll around in the dirt cat fighting chav cat who just happens to look beautiful.

As a breed they are gentler with people and are a bit more laid back than standard moggies yes which means when you are living with a dozen or so it is easier than normal however they are not the walk over they are painted as in the breed standard but again if you cosset them and treat them as precious then they may behave differently as far as we are concerned they are cats just pretty ones. Ours go out and kill birds in the garden attack the dogs and behave no different to normal cats

love the GCCF quote yes most cats are like that when taken out of their crate at a show by the judge although have known some get diqualifids for biting and scratching mine no doubt will be at her first show, but the judges dont ask what your cat is like in its own environment yes hes relaxed and easy to handle but he is a cat thug, no they look at colour, placement of said colour tail length, nose shaping and other stuff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I have two ragdolls from the same litter, a boy and a girl. The boy is the most gentle cat I've ever known but the girl can be like the tasmanian devil tearing around the house! She's a tortie though and I've heard that they can be handfuls!

We got ragdolls because we were hearing far too many stories about cats being deliberately hurt or killed when they were outside so we wanted cats who'd be okay indoors. I can't imagine either of them falling into a pond though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One fantasy drama after another.
    Forum Member
    As a breed i do believe the imports when shipped from america are far more breed standard limp like and ragdoll like than what we breed in England now

I didnt say i breed thugs in fact i dont breed at all i said my cat is a thug but all the females in her line (of which we have four her mum grandmother and great grandmother) are fietsy intelligent and independant little madams with big attitudes my cat is a roll around in the dirt cat fighting chav cat who just happens to look beautiful.

As a breed they are gentler with people and are a bit more laid back than standard moggies yes which means when you are living with a dozen or so it is easier than normal however they are not the walk over they are painted as in the breed standard but again if you cosset them and treat them as precious then they may behave differently as far as we are concerned they are cats just pretty ones. Ours go out and kill birds in the garden attack the dogs and behave no different to normal cats

love the GCCF quote yes most cats are like that when taken out of their crate at a show by the judge although have known some get diqualifids for biting and scratching mine no doubt will be at her first show, but the judges dont ask what your cat is like in its own environment yes hes relaxed and easy to handle but he is a cat thug, no they look at colour, placement of said colour tail length, nose shaping and other stuff

So your cat doesn't conform to the breed standard and you say that this nature is something she inherited as a family trait. So nature is inherited then?

And yet you claim the Ragdoll nature isn't inherited, but is the result of cosseting and they'd behave (almost) as normal cats if their owners weren't so precious.

That's not consistent. Either you accept nature is inherited or you dont.

So I suggest the GCCF is right and you are wrong. I think they know more than you! The breed hasn't changed, Ragdolls have never fully conformed to the limp behaviour, but they are expected to be gentle.

Certainly, anyone looking for information on Ragdolls would do better to listen to the GCCF, consult a breeder/rescue centre or consult a Ragdoll forum than post on DS.
    Forum Member
    So your cat doesn't conform to the breed standard and you say that this nature is something she inherited as a family trait. So nature is inherited then?

And yet you claim the Ragdoll nature isn't inherited, but is the result of cosseting and they'd behave (almost) as normal cats if their owners weren't so precious.

That's not consistent. Either you accept nature is inherited or you dont

Nature or nurture? - the age old debate. Those of us who have studied psychology are aware of the relative merits of both theories. I certainly believe that many characteristics and personality traits are inherited but nurture also plays a vital role in shaping and developing, even altering those characteristics. This is borne out by many twin studies - eg researchers have studied the personalities of identical twins separated at birth who had completely different upbringings.

So I believe that that it is possible to accept that nature is essentially inherited but can be shaped by exposure to other factors - so treating a ragdoll like any other cat can affect the way it behaves. :)

There have been reports in the media this week about how domestic moggies are adept at fitting into their owners' lifestyles. Those people who like to sit watching the TV in the evening tend to have fairly lazy cats whereas people who spend more time being active have more energetic, lively cats. I can't remember where I read that but it's been in a couple of newspapers. Nurture definitely plays a vital role.
    Forum Member

That's not consistent. Either you accept nature is inherited or you dont.

So I suggest the GCCF is right and you are wrong. I think they know more than you! The breed hasn't changed, Ragdolls have never fully conformed to the limp behaviour, but they are expected to be gentle.

Certainly, anyone looking for information on Ragdolls would do better to listen to the GCCF, consult a breeder/rescue centre or consult a Ragdoll forum than post on DS.

you have just made my point for me really which is people should not expect ragdolls to really be any more different to any other cat yet people paint them as defenceless due to the propaganda about them going limp when they are intelligent wiley creatures that are just as capable of defending themselves as any other cat - i fully admit that mine is a terrorist she comes from a line of strong independant females.

I was talking about breeding lines of my individual cat which has nothing to do with how she is treated or a cats nature but you can disagree all you like nature and nurture both play a large part in every animals upbringing. My cat is extremely territorial which makes her more aggressive than a lot of cats it also makes her scent mark and scratch all over the house which is individual to her

and if you look at the imports and the original ragdolls they are bigger and go limper etc but stuff gets bred out due to health reasons all the time and temperament gets changed over breeding and the ones i have met over here do not correspond to the original go limp pliable americanism of the ragdoll
    Forum Member
    you have just made my point for me really which is people should not expect ragdolls to really be any more different to any other cat yet people paint them as defenceless due to the propaganda about them going limp when they are intelligent wiley creatures that are just as capable of defending themselves as any other cat - i fully admit that mine is a terrorist she comes from a line of strong independant females.

I was talking about breeding lines of my individual cat which has nothing to do with how she is treated or a cats nature but you can disagree all you like nature and nurture both play a large part in every animals upbringing. My cat is extremely territorial which makes her more aggressive than a lot of cats it also makes her scent mark and scratch all over the house which is individual to her

and if you look at the imports and the original ragdolls they are bigger and go limper etc but stuff gets bred out due to health reasons all the time and temperament gets changed over breeding and the ones i have met over here do not correspond to the original go limp pliable americanism of the ragdoll

It's not propaganda. Ragdolls do go limp. Just not all of them behave like this. Don't you know why they were named Ragdolls? :D

And "americanism of the ragdoll" . LOL. Absolute tosh. The breed is American. Every bloodline. Irrelevant where they are born.

Just because your cat and it relatives has certain traits doesn't mean the breed has changed!

The Ragdoll breed is docile, sociable and non-aggressive.