Options

Hayley - really not that good

GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I understand it is "Dancing on Ice" but surely someone who skates well should get better marks than someone who has to cling on for grim death to her partner while waving her arms around. Hayley - not that good, Beth - under marked. Judges just do your job without having favourites. I would have thought in the last series you could have been fair.

Comments

• Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Hayley is a bit better than that. She doesn't have to "to cling on for grim death" and can do some solo skating. But she does rely a lot on dance moves and 'acting' that isn't combined with skating in any significant or interesting way.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree her routines are mostly dancing and lifts that just happen to be on ice - any actual skating is minimal. :kitty:
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You couldn't make it up, really.

Beth gets hammered for not performing much, yet if you were to stop Dan from dragging Hayley around, her performance would suffer dramatically.

I really would like to see the roles reversed between Hayley and Beth, because whilst I don't think Beth could put in as good as a performance as Hayley does, it would be near impossible for Hayley to do half the stuff Beth does.

The treatment of Beth is a joke >:(
  • Options
    TraceyUKTraceyUK Posts: 2,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reserved wrote: »
    You couldn't make it up, really.

Beth gets hammered for not performing much, yet if you were to stop Dan from dragging Hayley around, her performance would suffer dramatically.

I really would like to see the roles reversed between Hayley and Beth, because whilst I don't think Beth could put in as good as a performance as Hayley does, it would be near impossible for Hayley to do half the stuff Beth does.

The treatment of Beth is a joke >:(

Totally agree.

Wonder how Hayley is coping without Dan this week, and what's going to happen if he's not deemed fit enough to skate on Sunday!
  • Options
    cararosecararose Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Is dan injured is it when he got his ear cut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cararose wrote: »
    Is dan injured is it when he got his ear cut.

He's had a more serious injury since then :( he's torn a muscle in his arm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wonder what will happen if he is not fit to skate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She's been rehearsing with Andy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Tracey who you rooting for my fave is ray.
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    dont worry, come hell or high water he will be fit enough

theres nothing like a bit sympathy to get the voters going
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, if it affects their performance it could spur a flurry of sympathy votes. Especially if Dan can't skate and Andy has to step in.

Last week the judges made no allowances for Beth being ill, so hope they don't make allowances for Hayley being with a different partner (if it has to happen).
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    I agree, if it affects their performance it could spur a flurry of sympathy votes. Especially if Dan can't skate and Andy has to step in.

Last week the judges made no allowances for Beth being ill, so hope they don't make allowances for Hayley being with a different partner (if it has to happen).

You already know what the comments will be like.

"Oh, Hayley, what a dreadful week for you, darling! Even though you only move your arms around, you couldn't even do that without Dan by your side. We really don't know how you got through this week. It's been tough for you and we feel for you, we really do. Here, forget the routine, you can have a 10.0 just for all that you've been through."

Then to drum up that little bit more sympathy for her, just to make sure she gets through, Dan will be sat in the corner with a tear or two rolling down his cheek, before telling us what an inspiration she is for "just getting on with it".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Oh, Hayley, what a dreadful week for you, darling! Even though you only move your arms around, you couldn't even do that without Dan by your side. We really don't know how you got through this week. It's been tough for you and we feel for you, we really do. Here, forget the routine, you can have a 10.0 just for all that you've been through."

Then to drum up that little bit more sympathy for her, just to make sure she gets through, Dan will be sat in the corner with a tear or two rolling down his cheek, before telling us what an inspiration she is for "just getting on with it".

Lol.

Well looks like Dan is planning on going ahead despite an injury similar to what both Sylvain and Mark had, and they both needed surgery!! Could be that Dans isn't as serious of course.
    Seems a bit silly to risk your future career if it's that bad, no show is worth that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D, I am sure they will get sympathy from the judges unlike Beth last week!
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beth did get excuses made. The whole night revolved around Beth being ill. It was all "I know you're not up to your best because you're ill beth, but you did good." and so on.

Hayley is the best performer there. Her skating may not be up to that of Ray, but she certainly is capable of skating well. People on here have disliked her since the line up was announced and have continued to do so until now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People on here have disliked her since the line up was announced and have continued to do so until now.

Some of us with good reason!!!
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Beth did get excuses made. The whole night revolved around Beth being ill. It was all "I know you're not up to your best because you're ill beth, but you did good." and so on.

Hayley is the best performer there. Her skating may not be up to that of Ray, but she certainly is capable of skating well. People on here have disliked her since the line up was announced and have continued to do so until now.

I agree with you to a certain extent, Hayley was my favourite in her series but she doesn't seem to have improved at all since then. She has always been able to perform anyway but her skating ability hasn't improved and she doesn't do any difficult lifts imo.
    I am disappointed in her to be honest, she hasn't been challenged at all whereas all the other ladies have been.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That may the case but it certainly wasn't reflected in her marks, no allowances were made there for her !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dont worry, come hell or high water he will be fit enough

theres nothing like a bit sympathy to get the voters going
    LOL :D
  • Options
    humpty dumptyhumpty dumpty Posts: 4,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1347 wrote: »
    :D, I am sure they will get sympathy from the judges unlike Beth last week!

Hayley seems to get sympathy from the judges, Beth gets it from the public..and Beths managed to escape the skate-off despite being in the bottom two, so its a good place to get sympathy from. I guess sympathy from the judges will count more in the latter stages when the judges decide who goes, but if the sympathy and support for Beth continues, she might never be in the skate off at all.
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you to a certain extent, Hayley was my favourite in her series but she doesn't seem to have improved at all since then. She has always been able to perform anyway but her skating ability hasn't improved and she doesn't do any difficult lifts imo.
    I am disappointed in her to be honest, she hasn't been challenged at all whereas all the other ladies have been.

Same could be said about all of them except Sam and Beth, though.

Ray is doing the exact same tricks week in week out that he did in his original series. But do people complain about him not improving? Nope.

Hayley came out and did the solo skate, ok, she had a wobble. So did Suzanne. The difference is Suzanne came out every week wobbled, tripped and fell yet her skating ability is never questioned. Hayley comes out and proves she can skate quite well on her own - not amazing, but good enough - and still that isn't enough for people.

Before the line up people didn't like her and they haven't let it go since, it's sad.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Veri wrote: »
    I think Hayley is a bit better than that. She doesn't have to "to cling on for grim death" and can do some solo skating. But she does rely a lot on dance moves and 'acting' that isn't combined with skating in any significant or interesting way.

Hayley does what she does very well. Her Charleston actually looked a higher standard than Jai Ho - so her standards had moved up at one point in the series. The problem areas are - how they mark fairly someone who can' t do a range of other things - and how other people don't get to do what Hayley does, and do get more difficult, risky and undermarked things to do instead. Neither problem is Hayley's fault.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member

Ray is doing the exact same tricks week in week out that he did in his original series. But do people complain about him not improving? Nope.

Hayley came out and did the solo skate, ok, she had a wobble. So did Suzanne. The difference is Suzanne came out every week wobbled, tripped and fell yet her skating ability is never questioned. Hayley comes out and proves she can skate quite well on her own - not amazing, but good enough - and still that isn't enough for people.

Before the line up people didn't like her and they haven't let it go since, it's sad.

There's no comparison. Hayley had trouble moving from A to B solo , and doing simple moves, and hasn't added any big new moves this series. She's actually done less difficulty in later weeks than she did in her Charleston routine - while Suzanne, Beth Kyran and Sam all have been adding difficulty,. Suzanne added several major new moves - including a couple that no one has done before, and one that matched Beth's best. If you have someone who is doing more difficult moves, and having to learn new moves week on week , its pretty inevitable that they run more risk of making mistakes. Having less time to rehearse their skate off dance , with its own added difficulty, and that weeks dance, is another inevitable consequence of having big moves to learn for that and subequent weeks. Its much easier for someone who has had little new, or difficult to learn. Equally, Beth having less time to concentrate on her presentation - because she has more new moves and lifts to learn, than someone who already is a tarined actor and dancer - just ensures that the gap between her and Hayley's presentation skills is wider that it need be.

Its not Hayley's fault - its just a complete lack of thought or care in deciding who gets what, and adapting the marking scale to reflect whats hard, and whats much easier.
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member

I completely agree with this and it's a shame that even in the last year people have to be obsessed with negativity, you can guess that in every series in any reality show people will find a favoured one who they dislike.
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be honest. I wasn't a huge fan of Hayley during her series. While I accept she performs the beejaysus out of a routine, it isn't my cup of tea. That said, I thought she deserved to win her series with knobs on. She was miles ahead on all counts (okay Gary Lucy might have skated a bit better but I was usually asleep before he did his big moves so it doesn't count).

However, this time, I think she's getting away with murder. Not altogether her fault but it's happening all the same. Comparing her with Suzanne is ludicrous. Suzanne might have wobbled occasionally but she was attempting to do things that were way more difficult than anything Hayley has in her repertoire. Until last week I'd have given Hayley the benefit of the doubt and said that Suzanne was attempting things more difficult that Hayley "seems" to have in her repertoire. Unfortunately, Hayley did herself no favours last week. She came out, blethered about not wanting to skate solo because "why would she want to be without Dan?", did a not too bad, if fairly basic and a bit wobbly skate then came out for her pairs routine and blethered again about "never letting go of Dan again".

I'm afraid that enforces everything anyone is thinking about lack of skating skills. She's become the all-stars version of Kerry Katona.