Grand Canyon...could you do this?

13»

Comments

• Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did this last year and it was a great experience.

You have to wear weird little things on your shoes so you don't scratch the glass and I found this pretty funny as some people were getting wound up at having to wear them. Like another poster said, the major downside of it is not being allowed to take your own cameras. Their reasoning is you might drop it and crack the glass, but while you're queuing there is a sign that tells you the Skywalk can withstand a powerful earthquake. The Skywalk photographers were extremely irritating and they were trying to get us to lay down on the glass and do embarrassing stuff.

Here is a photo I took that day:

http://i.imgur.com/kEVb8A3.jpg
  • NatoPMTNatoPMT Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's an amazing photo Super Frog
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    bah, not as impressive as the one at the Blackpool Tower. Better view also :p

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/gallery/2011/sep/02/blackpool-tower-reopens-in-pictures

Please be kidding!!
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the skywalk can withstand 36,000 tons, that's the equivalent of 71 boeing 747's or about 38 americans.

Just read this on youtube
    It cost $30.00 bucks a pop just to walk out on this thing. They won't let you take your own pictures. They take them and then charge you. The reason you can't take your own pictures is because you might drop your camera and crack the floor. Fug Dat! If a camera drop is all it takes to crack that thing... I'll stay off of it...

What a rip-off.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could do that no problem, couldn't do the cliff camping though
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,787
    Forum Member
    Cowie wrote: »
    It is FANTASTIC

I did the skywalk. When I booked the tix I was unsure if any of us would go out on the skywalk but figured I may as well book the tickets and no great loss if one or all of us chickened out. When I walked out on it I'd decided I could stick to the inside bit and hold on and edge my way around really quick but then there was a random asian laying down so I had to let go to step around them and then I was fine!!

It was annoying how you're not allowed to take cameras but they have their own photographers hounding you to pose for photos. And it really was distracting how other tourists really got into the posing.

Have you done the helicopter trip? For me it's a million times better.
    Forum Member
    We've done that twice, once at dawn and once at dusk. The dusk one is better because it included a flight over the Las Vegas strip at night which was very cool.

That's the one we did. Amazing.
    Forum Member
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    Apparently the skywalk can withstand 36,000 tons, that's the equivalent of 71 boeing 747's or about 38 americans.

Just read this on youtube

What a rip-off.

I'd be surprised if that was the official reason.
  • PopRocketPopRocket Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes! That looks amazing :)
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I think this is from the Chinese mountain path that another FM posted earlier in this thread - there are some truly terrifying clips on You Tube of people making their way along it.

The Hua Sha (or Huang Shan) mountain. When I'm bored I spend ages frightening myself on youtube with these vertigo-inducing videos. The Camino frightens me almost more than Hua Sha because of the way the guy so nonchalantly gets over the gaping holes.

This afternoon I watched a guy do the trail up Dome in Yellowstone Park and I just know that if I was dying of thirst at the bottom and water was at the top, I'd choose to die. I'm so afraid of heights.

It interested me that on the Dome everyone said coming down was worse than going up.

I stood at the top of the World Trade Centre and loved it but I knew I couldn't fall. I couldn't have stood at that height in the wild.