Options

Favourite stand up comedian?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    I find it difficult sometimes, I start liking a comedian and then they are everywhere or they are doing chat shows.
    I like Michael McIntyre but can find he can be overbearing and some of his jokes get repetative.
    I like Alan Carr but don't necessarily like his chat show.
    Jack Dee I find funny but the grumpy act he doesn't always make me laugh.
    I do quite like Julian Clary and his bitchy humour.
    Frankie Boyle I do like and he seems to shock people which I quite liked because he was refreshing. However, now I feel that he just shocks for the sake of it and tends to go too far and I hated the programme that he did - he is one that I think is more suited to stand up.
    Russell Howard I do like and I like his programme as well he would be one at the moment that I would like to see live.
    From the past I like Richard Pryor.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wolfticket wrote: »
    I like Alan Cochrane a lot too.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that really enjoyed The Alternative Comedy Experience. Shame it's ended now. Fingers crossed for a second series.

There is going to be a second run: http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2013/04/30/17739/alternative_comedy_experience_to_return
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    culttvfan wrote: »
    An unlikely choice - Bob Monkhouse. Unfortunately he rarely showed his true talent on TV because he did mainly game shows and often came across as a smarmy, insincere git, but his live act (and I don't mean the sanitised ones released on DVD) was brilliant.
    Glenn A wrote: »
    He was ancient even in the seventies, but Bob Hope had some excellent stand up. I quite like one of lines where he said he tried to get into England, but it was closed due to industrial action.

Two masters of their craft

My favourite...Frank Skinner of course:)
  • Options
    yawalloperyawalloper Posts: 6,561
    Forum Member
    Dylan Moran is my favourite, but I also like Sean Lock and Lee Mack.

An Audience with Billy Connolly is my all time favourite stand up show.
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Frank Skinner
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Billy Connolly, Kevin Bridges, Bill Bailey, Dara O'Briain and Rhys Darby are a few of my favourites.
  • Options
    Sarah.1987Sarah.1987 Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Evans, Michael McIntyre, Bill Bailey, Dylan Moran, Dara O'Briain and Ricky Gervais are some of my favorites.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Two masters of their craft

My favourite...Frank Skinner of course:)

Frank Skinner's Opinionated series is being repeated as we speak - its very good :)
  • Options
    Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bob Monkhouse, Les Dawson, Ken Dodd, Frank Carson
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stewart Lee
    Bill Bailey
    Dennis Leary
    Richard Pryor
    Ross Noble
    Lee Mack
    Dave Chapelle.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    I know it was clear what he meant. My response was a very obscure reference to Lee's routine in Carpet Remnant World concerning an internet comment about Bin Laden "...roast him alive so he can see what it feels like"

But 'what' is the applicable word in the instance you have quoted, so doesn't compare with the grammatical error in the OP's question.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob Monkhouse, Les Dawson, Ken Dodd, Frank Carson

Sadly mostly no longer with us. I can't think of any other living ones who can get anywhere near matching Ken Dodd.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    I know it was clear what he meant. My response was a very obscure reference to Lee's routine in Carpet Remnant World concerning an internet comment about Bin Laden "...roast him alive so he can see what it feels like"

The comment you quote is from 3.20, in the link below, where Lee is trying to imply grammatical incongruity and incorrectness in a quite. So I presume you, like him are trying to pick up on grammatical mistakes, in a mock-pedantic way, but, as the phrase quoted by Lee doesn't use 'what' incorrectly, it is not likely even people who saw the routine would get that allusion by you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj2LcKdRU0o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Louis C.K.

That is all.
  • Options
    Seb ScorchSeb Scorch Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Paul Chowdray, particularly the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9SHxFQ59lM

The 'It's not always you' humour is a bit annoying at times, but its mostly quite funny
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The three I'd have in highest category and brilliant IMO are, in order Rhod Gilbert, Peter Kay and Michael McIntyre.

Further back Dave Allen was great an if Stewart Lee is who I think he is, he is great.

Any of these id gladly watch and know I'll get some laughs: Jimmy Carr, Alan Carr, Sean Locke, Tim Vine, John Bishop, Micky Flanagan, Andy Parsons.

Not for me are any of the American ones, any women (I want.to like them but rarely do) nor anything either "edgy" "close to the mark" political or just off topic ramblings.

Although Boyle was always the funniest on Mock The Week.
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love Jimeoin, haven't seen him for years. I remember he had his own tv show in the mid 90's and he was a panellist on a comedy quiz show, can't for the life of me remember what it was though! He's a very funny comedian. I also saw a show he did going round Australia, can't recall much apart from him doing a gig to some Aboriginies in a hut :confused:

I have seen Jimeoin live twice at the Edinburgh Comedy Festival very, very funny.

I would like to see Daniel Kitson live he has been around awhile now and what I have seen on YouTube is really funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhsIW_bZsos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbUqhxPGFXY
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    The three I'd have in highest category and brilliant IMO are, in order Rhod Gilbert, Peter Kay and Michael McIntyre.

Further back Dave Allen was great an if Stewart Lee is who I think he is, he is great.

Any of these id gladly watch and know I'll get some laughs: Jimmy Carr, Alan Carr, Sean Locke, Tim Vine, John Bishop, Micky Flanagan, Andy Parsons.

Not for me are any of the American ones, any women (I want.to like them but rarely do) nor anything either "edgy" "close to the mark" political or just off topic ramblings.

Although Boyle was always the funniest on Mock The Week.

I loved Frankie on MTW, he was always class on Scenes We'd Like to See :D

Unlikely Things to Hear in a History Show

"I want to trace my father. Could you suggest a good marker pen?"
    :D
  • Options
    pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgotten these two

John Bishop
    Michael McIntyre
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie boyle
    Ricky gervais
    Harry hill
    Milton jones
    Russel howard
    Eddie Murphy
    Rob newman
    Al murry
    Ken Dodd
    Richard herring
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,114
    Forum Member
    feckit wrote: »
    I have seen Jimeoin live twice at the Edinburgh Comedy Festival very, very funny.

I would like to see Daniel Kitson live he has been around awhile now and what I have seen on YouTube is really funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhsIW_bZsos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbUqhxPGFXY

I'd love to see Jimeoin live, he was a favourite of mine in the 90's. I couldn't put a face to the name Daniel Kitson, but seeing him I recognise him now. He's really funny.

Thanks for the links :)
  • Options
    Britt_IshraelBritt_Ishrael Posts: 1,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave Allen
    Rich Hall
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denis Leary
    Tim Vine
    Richard Pryor
    George Carlin
    Mick Foley
    Frankie Boyle
    Ardal O'Hanlon
    Simon Nunnery
    Tim Strange
    Lee Kyle
    Kevin Eldon
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I also really like Bill Bailey, he's hilarious! :D
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive surprised myself in my enjoyment of jo brand recently.

also like russel brand