Orphan Black - UK Pace *NO SPOILERS*

Comments

• G926G926 Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    The lead girl reminded me of someone..........

It's Emma Wray who was in the sitcom 'Watching'..........

http://www.bapwatch.com/obscure/and/emma_wray_4.jpg

She reminded me a lot of Alyssa Milano, especially when she was playing Soccer Mom.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm.

It isn't bad, but seems a run of the mill clone drama so far. There is only so much you can do with a drama about clones after the initial 'ohh aren't they all different'. Either the Clones band together to fight the evil organisation/rouge doctor that created them and are out to get them or one clone goes psycho and tries to kill the rest to the the only one. And Orphan Black firmly seems to be the former.

I'll stick with it for now as there isn't a lot on at the moment and it is well acted (apart from the Lead's 'english' accent lol), Felix and Victor adds something - light relief? There is potential for interesting sub plots - what is going on with the bank account money? 'Beth's' relationship with her police partner seems like there is more there. Is the Foster Mum Mrs S in on anything? After the way Sarah turned out, should she really have custody of Sarah's child!!

So enough to keep me watching for now but hooked? Not so much.

If you have seen to the end please don't respond to this post - I really hate that.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very impressed with this series so far. Deserved a BBC 1 outing in my view as it is a lot better than most of the things on there recently.

Superb acting by the lead as well. Surely up for some nominations.

As for the similarity to Ringer - I would say it is what Ringer might have been had it not been so poorly written it was better titled Dead Ringer.

Had a feel of that curious channel 4 series recently about a big conspiracy. Forget the title. But like this show it keeps you hooked from episode to episode wanting to fathom out what is going on.
  • Golem XofGolem Xof Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    In episode 2 I recognised the name of the housing estate - Bailey Downs - as the same as the setting for the film Ginger Snaps, so since they were also both made in Canada I wondered if there was any connection in the productions and found out that the co-creator of the series was the director John Fawcett.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I actually think BBC3 is a good place for it to be honest.

First two episodes were enjoyable, having watched them again.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Got to figure that Vic's desire to atone for the way he treated Sarah is going to cause her some trouble down the line ...

Whatever went on in that relationship, I suspect the unpleasantness wasn't all one way traffic.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Got to figure that Vic's desire to atone for the way he treated Sarah is going to cause her some trouble down the line ...
    Whatever went on in that relationship, I suspect the unpleasantness wasn't all one way traffic.

Do we actually have any evidence that Vic treated her particularly badly??
  • tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I am English, and I thought her accent was real, actually:o.Although I am from "Up North".

She's a great actor.

Glad it's Canadian, as they make excellent programmes:).
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    tim_smith wrote: »

As a Canadian, I am proud of some of the programmes we have made, but Canadian TV hasn't been doing too well lately, sadly.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim_smith wrote: »
    Yep. Canadian shows, for me, don't suffer as much from "where have i seen that actor before?", much like the early days of the BBC4 Euro-thrillers, so they become their characters.

K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not overly impressed, the plot is disjointed and the main actress speaks so fast at times its hard to catch what she's saying.

Its ok, but if i have to rewatch every episode to keep track of the story then i won't bother watching.
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Do we actually have any evidence that Vic treated her particularly badly??

Well, we're (audience) getting our cues from Sarah and Felix, that Vic isn't a pleasant person.
    Then again neither is Sarah on the evidence we've seen, so Vic might not be the villain of this particular piece.
    She's also run off with a sizeable amount of Vic's Charlie, certainly enough for him to end up dead in an alley somewhere, if he's got it on bail or needs to kick profits back up to his dealer.
    Forum Member
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Im not overly impressed, the plot is disjointed and the main actress speaks so fast at times its hard to catch what she's saying.

Its ok, but if i have to rewatch every episode to keep track of the story then i won't bother watching.

There's a lot going on and I suspect it's going to carry on at this pace, more 'disjointed' plot.
    If you're struggling now, you'll probably continue to struggle.

I know nothing about the show, apart from the 2 episodes BBC 3 have aired, though.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eps 1 and 2 being repeated tonight on BBC3 starting at 11.55pm. Don't think it's repeated again after tonight.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    ...seems a run of the mill clone drama so far.
    Exactly how many "clone" dramas are there? :confused::rolleyes:

It's certainly not like any TV show I've ever seen.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly how many "clone" dramas are there? :confused::rolleyes:

It's certainly not like any TV show I've ever seen.

I should probably been clearer in that I include books, TV and films in that statement.

There are a fair few books - and they are all mostly the same. I think the Michael Crighton one might have been turned into a TV series.

To be fair, Sixth Day (film) took a different approach (one clone takes on the evil organisation that created him and are trying to kill him) and apart from Arnie's typically dodgy acting it wasn't that bad a film. Probably my Favourite Clone film. Unless you'll let me have interdimensional doubles (they are sort of clones;)) and then it'll be Jet Li's 'The One'.:D
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    I actually think BBC3 is a good place for it to be honest.

First two episodes were enjoyable, having watched them again.
    An HD channel would have been better.:(
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I watched the first episode last night on BBC 3 and now I'm hooked.
    I've watched episodes 2 & 3 this morning as I'm catching up on the rest on Netflix as all 10 episodes are on the Netherlands region.
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, we're (audience) getting our cues from Sarah and Felix, that Vic isn't a pleasant person.
    Then again neither is Sarah on the evidence we've seen, so Vic might not be the villain of this particular piece.
    She's also run off with a sizeable amount of Vic's Charlie, certainly enough for him to end up dead in an alley somewhere, if he's got it on bail or needs to kick profits back up to his dealer.
    It's probably not entirely one-sided, but Vic hardly protested his innocence to Felix, so I think we can take it as read that he's not exactly been a saint in their relationship.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Really can't see what the fuss about the main actress is, the accent I presumed for a long time was supposed to be Australian, until they started saying her and Felix had been raised together. I presume she's been cast for her bum - which to be fair, is perfect.

I like Felix though, I'll probably keep watching to see where it goes. All the men seem terribly suspicious - and I can't wait to see why no-one finds it odd that a rookie cop is driving around in a Jag, regardless of whether there is $75k in the boot or not...
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a feel of that curious channel 4 series recently about a big conspiracy. Forget the title.
    Utopia. I thought the same, although the cinematography isn't as high and it's not as dark.
    Forum Member
    neutralned wrote: »
    Really can't see what the fuss about the main actress is, the accent I presumed for a long time was supposed to be Australian, until they started saying her and Felix had been raised together. I presume she's been cast for her bum - which to be fair, is perfect.

I like Felix though, I'll probably keep watching to see where it goes. All the men seem terribly suspicious - and I can't wait to see why no-one finds it odd that a rookie cop is driving around in a Jag, regardless of whether there is $75k in the boot or not...

You'll be a long time waiting for this 'jag' inquiry, it's not going to happen.
    It's an X type Jag, second hand probably less than a brand new Ford Focus.
    I thought she was a detective, that's not a rookie.
    In anycase her boyfriend seems to be a 'high flyer' with a few bob.
    Can't say I like any of the characters, but that doesn't bother me, I don't need to like them.
  • The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    G926 wrote: »
    She reminded me a lot of Alyssa Milano, especially when she was playing Soccer Mom.

She doesn't half, did a double take when the 'Soccor Mom' was on, as I hadn't heard that Alyssa Milano was going to be in it!

Just caught up on iPlayer anyway, really enjoying it.
    The accents don't really bother me - I'm not noticing them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    As a Canadian, I am proud of some of the programmes we have made, but Canadian TV hasn't been doing too well lately, sadly.

Well I'm a big fan of Murdoch Mysteries and I enjoy Continuum
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Granted I'm not saying he's a saint but he's not the devil either