Options

Why I Hate Britain

Comments

• Options
    colgirlcolgirl Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    If it's so awful then why do so many immigrants want to be here?
  • Options
    Rascar_CapacRascar_Capac Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    I think slagging off an entire country and making ludicrous generalisations about what it's inhabitants think is no better than the nationalism the OP decries.

In fact I think it appeals to very similar (unpleasant) sentiments within a person, like a misplaced feeling of superiority, prejudice against an entire group, hypocritical point scoring etc.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything that includes the UKIP scare me but I guess a labour majority government scares me more.

History is full of negative and positive things that the UK has done, I guess those that tend to focus on the negative have a bit of a problem.

Although I don't live in the UK I am proud to be associated with a country which introduced social welfare and moved the world into an agricultural and industrial revolution. Prior to this development crop failure led to mass starvation and the feudal economies meant proverty for the masses.

Here Here

..and yes.a Labour majority is a very scarey proposition - especially as now the UK is having amongst the stronger economic recoveries in Europe .

Red Ed ?

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think slagging off an entire country and making ludicrous generalisations about what it's inhabitants think is no better than the nationalism the OP decries.

In fact I think it appeals to very similar (unpleasant) sentiments within a person, like a misplaced feeling of superiority, prejudice against an entire group, hypocritical point scoring etc.

Hey Rascar Capac! This is off-topic, as regards the thread, but I've just reread the Tintin adventure, The Seven Crystal Balls, so your name struck a chord!
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    I like living in Britain.

High level of civil liberties, a safety net in place for everyone in society, free healthcare and education, tolerance to pretty much all religious/ sexual preferences, one of the safest countries in the world for minority groups, rich history, free museums, fantastic selection of universities, vibrant music, literature and theatre scene- and none of our TV shows are dubbed!

Yes, we have some dodgy episodes in our history, but so does any industrialised nation in the 21at Century (I'm sure Germany, one of the worlds most prosperous nations, aren't exactly bursting with pride at their conduct 70 years ago)
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    colgirl wrote: »

Not many countries you can just turn up in and get free healthcare, free schooling for your kids, possibly free housing, tax credits to top up your earnings etc etc etc. All funded on borrowed money.

They certainly don't come for the weather.

Don't blame the migrants though but our political system.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colgirl wrote: »

Indeed

The UK is very much a land of opportunity for those who want to work hard.

For natives who don't - they're f++ked .

Welcome to the United Kingdom of Globalisation :)
  • Options
    Rascar_CapacRascar_Capac Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Hey Rascar Capac! This is off-topic, as regards the thread, but I've just reread the Tintin adventure, The Seven Crystal Balls, so your name struck a chord!

It's true, I am the undead Inca mummy. I've mellowed though, and spend most my time these days as an internet troll.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Having a Royal Family sucks, Having The Daily Mail sucks, and many so-called patriots are tools, but the country could be a lot worse.
    The Daily Mail doesn't suck, I'm not a fan of it, but it's good that in this country there are newspapers covering the full political spectrum from right to left, in many countries you only get one viewpoint, the governments.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    snukr wrote: »
    The Daily Mail doesn't suck, I'm not a fan of it, but it's good that in this country there are newspapers covering the full political spectrum from right to left, in many countries you only get one viewpoint, the governments.

and that is a very good thing. and then the readers can you read the paper that holds a political views.

did anyone see the report on sky news yesterday about the forced abortion in china.

non of the media the report on it over there. say over here cameron was secretly giving orders for the poor and employed to have forced abortion. our media would report it.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    and that is a very good thing. and then the readers can you read the paper that holds a political views.

did anyone see the report on sky news yesterday about the forced abortion in china.

non of the media the report on it over there. say over here cameron was secretly giving orders for the poor and employed to have forced abortion. our media would report it.

Of course depending on the paper they may spin it as good thing
    "Cameron battles population explosion for poor families"
  • Options
    fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not particularly proud of the Empire, I had ancestors who suffered greatly under it, I also don't doubt many British people suffered too.

Lets be honest though, there would be no alternative history where daisy chain weaving nations rose to prominence and bestowed a beneficial regime on the underdogs. Likewise there's no alternative history where the under dog won out and didn't go on to inflict much the same sins on the people they conquered.
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never never thought I'd say this - as I've always loved my country but lately I've had enough - I think it's the economic situation in the north east in particular, we seem to be forgotten, and government policies.
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrio wrote: »
    Britons who are proud of being British.
    The Empire.

You enslaved people and sucked out resources from their countries. That's a source of shame, not pride. Take a l
    You were lucky to be born here! There's no pride. You didn't do anything to be proud of. It's an accident of birth.
    esson from the Romans, proud fascists.

Tolerance

Largely, only if you're white. You don't like ethnicity. See the latest YouGov research - 34% of electorate uncomfortable with "ethnic minority" PM.

Deference

You suck up to those you believe have more value than you, the "class system". You "respect" the Royal Family, purely because they were born into wealth.

United States

Your leaders persist in believing you have a special relationship, not realising you're the monkey to the organ grinder.

Didn't you get enough attention last time?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1862446&highlight=
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How is it that whenever I've made a comment that winds someone up I get a ban and accused of baiting yet people like this who've made numerous threads offending almost everybody he's still active?
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Pitman wrote: »
    Frankie Howerd, Noël Coward and garden gnomes
    Frankie Vaughan, Kenneth Horne, Sherlock Holmes
    Monty, Biggles and Old King Cole
    In the pink or on the dole
    Oliver Twist and Long John Silver
    Captain Cook and Nelly Dean
    Enid Blyton, Gilbert Harding
    Malcolm Sargeant, Graham Greene (Graham Greene)

All the jewels in the crown of England's glory
    Too numerous to mention, but a few
    And every one could tell a different story
    And show old England's glory something new

Nice bit of kipper and Jack the Ripper and Upton Park
    Gracie, Cilla, Maxy Miller, Petula Clark
    Winkles, Woodbines, Walnut Whips
    Vera Lynn and Stafford Cripps
    Lady Chatterley, Muffin the Mule
    Winston Churchill, Robin Hood
    Beatrix Potter, Baden-Powell
    Beecham's powders, Yorkshire pud (Yorkshire pud)

With Billy Bunter, Jane Austen
    Reg Hampton, George Formby
    Billy Fury, Little Titch
    Uncle Mac, Mr. Pastry and all
    Uncle mac, Mr. Patry and all

allright england?
    g’wan england :D
    oh england

All the jewels in the crown of England's glory
    Too numerous to mention, but a few
    And every one could tell a different story
    And show old England's glory something new

Somerset Maugham, Top Of The Form with the Boys' Brigade
    Mortimer Wheeler, Christine Keeler and the Board of Trade
    Henry Cooper, wakey wakey, England's labour
    Standard Vanguard, spotted dick, England's workers
    England's glory :D

Magnificent!!!

OP, if you hate it so much, LEAVE!!! That'll be more space for the rest of us!
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Whether we like, dislike or hate Britain, make the most of what remains. As thanks to the Westminster 650 Club
    forcing their demographic policy upon this small land. they are well into changing our nation out of all former recognition.
  • Options
    the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Although I'm not proud to be British, I think our Empire and our military prowess over many centuries is something to behold.

And although we were pretty ruthless, I think the top award for colonial savagery still goes to the Spanish for what they did to Latin America.
  • Options
    jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fear that you know very little of the actual history of the British Empire. It was very much based on political alliances with local leaders and trade. How on Earth do you think a tiny country like ours could have created such an empire by military conquest alone? Empires are not, of course, formed out of altruism and the British Empire was no exception but overall the colonies benefitted hugely from the prosperity and stability brought by British rule.

Compared to many other empires, the British Empire was relatively benign. If the institutions that we introduced were so terrible, why are many of them still in use by those countries to this day?
    It was divide and rule. When there was any great rebellion it ended up with military intervention. When the likes of India and Kenya demanded independence, the British didn't pack their bags and say fond farewells.

Rome, too, was a small country but still managed to control most of Western Europe and large parts of Asia. When the Romans left, Britons didn't destroy everything they had built and maintained. They were very useful to the Romans and continued to be for the natives.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess we still have more freedom than in many other countries and that is a reason to be glad to be living in Britain.

It does seem as if we are going downhill faster than a speeding trolley sometimes though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here Here

..and yes.a Labour majority is a very scarey proposition - especially as now the UK is having amongst the stronger economic recoveries in Europe .

Red Ed ?

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I don't know how he got that nickname, ed is about as red as a tangerine
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jrio wrote: »
    Britons who are proud of being British.

You were lucky to be born here! There's no pride. You didn't do anything to be proud of. It's an accident of birth.

The Empire.

You enslaved people and sucked out resources from their countries. That's a source of shame, not pride. Take a lesson from the Romans, proud fascists.

Tolerance

Largely, only if you're white. You don't like ethnicity. See the latest YouGov research - 34% of electorate uncomfortable with "ethnic minority" PM.

Deference

You suck up to those you believe have more value than you, the "class system". You "respect" the Royal Family, purely because they were born into wealth.

United States

Your leaders persist in believing you have a special relationship, not realising you're the monkey to the organ grinder.

Well all I can say is don't let the door smack you in the arse on the way out.

It sounds to me like you are the one with the problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    As a country we totally lack any imagination.
  • Options
    Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    As a country we totally lack any imagination.

That's so true.... Shakespeare, Brunel, Newton, Jane Austen, JR Tolkien, Byron, C.S Lewis, Oscar Wilde, Charles Darwin, Oliver Cromwell, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Brian Eno, David Bowie, Aphex Twin, David Icke and Radiohead totally lacked imagination..the bloody fools.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    That's so true.... Shakespeare, Brunel, Newton, Jane Austen, JR Tolkien, Byron, C.S Lewis, Oscar Wilde, Charles Darwin, Oliver Cromwell, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Brian Eno, David Bowie, Aphex Twin, David Icke and Radiohead totally lacked imagination..the bloody fools.

doctor who