What is the first thing you learnt how to cook?

c0boc0bo Posts: 6,468
Forum Member
I'm learning how to cook at the age of 25 (I know a bit late) and wanted know what is the first thing you learnt how to cook? And do you have any advice.

Comments

• Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,672
    Forum Member
    Victoria Sandwich, aged about 7 and taught by my lovely Auntie Peg.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Savoury- mushroom risotto
    Sweet- lemon drizzle cake
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also learnt quite late, I was around 25.

I hated cooking at school and never bothered when I was at uni. I just slid into the habit of having rubbish ready meals and stuff. Then one day I just woke up and realised I didn't really enjoy ready meals and that food should be something you enjoy, not just fuel for your body. I bought a couple of cook books and never looked back. I'm 33 now and I'd class food and cooking as one of my main hobbies, I cook all of our meals and do everything from scratch. It annoys me a little bit as I wish I'd got into it earlier and I may even have approached it as a career.

The first thing I cooked was a curry. I can just remember being really pleased with it and thinking how much better it tasted than ready meal curries. Obviously buying a few cook books is a good start and looking around on the internet for recipes. Don't be afraid to experiment once you've learnt the basics though.
    Also, you may not enjoy doing everything. I love cooking but I'm not really a fan of baking. I'm not sure why, I'll happily attempt anything savoury, I've even started making my own sausages but I just can't get into baking. I do like making desserts like cheesecakes and mousses though.
  • ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    A Jacket potato cut in half ~cooked potato was scooped out and mixed with grated cheese ~then refilled into the 2 empty skins
    this was when I was about 11 at secondary school in our first few housecraft lessons
    Cabbage & Carrot coleslaw = was the first food we made - the week before
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At school in home economics it would have been pizza.

At home we had a slow cooker so me and my brother would experiment making all different kinds of stews in it. Just chop a load of meat and veg up and bung it in with stock / gravy and seasoning for a few hours! Easy!
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Swede Gravy and Roast potatoes - helping mum out on a Sunday.

We didn't do home economics in school, we did bridge.
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum used to make tuna turnovers with us - pastry filled with tuna, mayonnaise, sweetcorn and onion. That's the first thing I remember cooking anyway.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    It was scones at a very early age. Then bread at the age of 5.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A fry up, then at school we did scones then cheese and potato pie, which I still cook even know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Pasta meals mainly, bolognaise, tuna, etc. oh and chilli con carne :)

Like Jambo_c above I always lived on frozen meals etc then woke up one day with the determination to learn how to cook properly. I can safely say I can cook very well now and much better then my Mum ever did!
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    The first proper thing I did on my own was a scone-like recipe from the Belling Format cookbook that came with my parents' new cooker. I was about 10.

They were a bit of a cross between a scone and a rock cake; you made a hole in each and put in a teaspoonful of raspberry jam prior to cooking.
    Looking back at the recipe years afterwards I noticed that the mix was meant to produce '8-10 cakes'.... but I'd always made 4 big ones with it! :D
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think I ever really learned to cook.

My first experience of making food was in the boy scouts when we used to prepare and cook food on fires.

Then at home making a bacon sarnie, after assuring mum that the fire brigade would not be needed.

Then at university, where cooking generally involved boiling ricew or pasta.

It was only when I got my first place and was determind not to be a stereotypical batchelor with the curry house on speed dial that I started thinking about cooking, and it was mainly through trial and error that I picked things up.

My reportoire is fairly limited, but I can rustle up a decent roast dinner, spag bol, chilli, that sort of thing.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrambled eggs. I defy anyone to make better than mine.