The Americans (UK Pace)

Comments

• Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I didn't see that coming !

I'm actually glad that they're involving the kids in the story 'cos I've been wondering what they were gonna do about them , it does offer some fascinating dillemas for philip and elizabeth .

one thing I thought was off tho was Philip going up to the top Russian Embassy guy and telling him to stay away from his kids , after all this is exactly what led to Jared killing his family wasn't it - his family didn't want him involved so Moscow had whatsername recruit him and etc.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    one thing I thought was off tho was Philip going up to the top Russian Embassy guy and telling him to stay away from his kids , after all this is exactly what led to Jared killing his family wasn't it - his family didn't want him involved so Moscow had whatsername recruit him and etc.

For me it calls into question Paige's friend "Kelly…"
    (The girl she met on the bus who functioned as her "gateway" to the christian youth group.)

Probably not a Directorate S agent, but… I can't be too sure.

I don't know what Philip is going to do…
    He can barely (if at all) stand what his wife has to do for "the cause," the thought of his daughter eventually having to do it must turn his stomach in knots.

One possible scenario is (my own speculation) that if The Center forces Philip & Elizabeth's hand they may have to run, thus evading other Directorate S. agents to get out of the country.

P.S.

Did anyone else notice that when Elizabeth granted Paige permission to go on her protest field trip that Paige was dressed like a "little Elizabeth?"
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    Yes. At first I thought Stan had left the Echo details and that Arkady was tricking Nina with the note in order to have her sent back to the USSR. But, having read the episode synopsis on wiki, it seems that Stan really did leave the note.

I would have thought that when P&E and Emmet and Lianne decided to have children the Center would have told them that their children may later be recruited as agents. As you say, perhaps it was a more recent decision from the KGB.

I'm really looking forward to series 3 but I hope it won't just be about Paige. The family aspect is an important part of "The Americans" but I like to have it balanced with a good dose of espionage, some shock twists and plenty of wigs. :)

I think that they were instructed to have children so as to appear like a normal family.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=LeftCoastal;72929364]For me it calls into question Paige's friend "Kelly…"
    (The girl she met on the bus who functioned as her "gateway" to the christian youth group.)

Probably not a Directorate S agent, but… I can't be too sure.

I don't know what Philip is going to do…
    He can barely (if at all) stand what his wife has to do for "the cause," the thought of his daughter eventually having to do it must turn his stomach in knots.

One possible scenario is (my own speculation) that if The Center forces Philip & Elizabeth's hand they may have to run, thus evading other Directorate S. agents to get out of the country.

P.S.

Did anyone else notice that when Elizabeth granted Paige permission to go on her protest field trip that Paige was dressed like a "little Elizabeth?"[/QUOTE]

I thought that maybe the Pastor might be involved too.

Excellent series, looking forward to the next. Does anyone know when it is?
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope there is more Cynthia in series3 preferably being her old nasty self.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But, of course, even an enthusiastic Paige wouldn't necessarily have to "do" what her parents have. She would be far more useful becoming a senior scientist working on top secret projects or politician or FBI / CIA agent (depending on her aptitudes) than running around bedding people for information... and then offing them. A senior government official having made a "good" marriage would, for the Soviets, be a long-game worth playing. The First Lady is a Soviet agent... :cool:

But I agree, it's not what Philip could cope with. And I think Elizabeth is imagining bonding with her daughter over codes and dead-drops... I don't see her cheerfully sending Paige off to prostitute herself for Mother Russia.

I got the Jared / Kate thing right but Jared killing his family... I wasn't expecting that. :o The apple doesn't drop far from the tree... etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But, of course, even an enthusiastic Paige wouldn't necessarily have to "do" what her parents have. She would be far more useful becoming a senior scientist working on top secret projects or politician or FBI / CIA agent (depending on her aptitudes) than running around bedding people for information... and then offing them. A senior government official having made a "good" marriage would, for the Soviets, be a long-game worth playing. The First Lady is a Soviet agent...

It's true she wouldn't necessarily have to sleep with anyone; but an FBI agent, or a scientist might gain inside information,
    or position themselves for a promotion by sleeping with a colleague or boss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's true she wouldn't necessarily have to sleep with anyone; but an FBI agent, or a scientist might gain inside information,
    or position themselves for a promotion by sleeping with a colleague or boss.

I'm surprised Phil & Liz haven't contracted STDs......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paige is only 14, she's way too young to be involved in anything. Jared probably thought the idea of being a spy was all very exciting in a James Bond kind of way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AKFE wrote: »
    Polite request:

If any of you reads anything about the story lines coming up in The Americans, or even reads/hears that a particular actor or actress is or isn't going to be in Series 3, please can you not post it on here. Even if you see it in the press and assume everyone else has seen it, please don't because it can really spoil it for others.

Many thanks indeed.

"Please don't talk about things I don't want to read, because I say so."

Spoiling plot details that you know for certain, perhaps because you watch the US pace, is one thing, but some other forumite dictating that nobody talks about casting rumours or next series plot rumours just because they don't want to read them seems a bit rich.

Put another way:

Polite request:

Don't use the internet if you can't handle rumours.

Many thanks indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised Phil & Liz haven't contracted STDs......

well we did see him pulling off a condom in the last episode , (pretty unusual for a tv show )
  • TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well we did see him pulling off a condom in the last episode , (pretty unusual for a tv show )

Well it is a pretty unusual TV show!

I loved Martha saying "I know about the wig"

And I hated what Beeman did to Nina Sergeevna, he could have warned her he wasn't going to leave the program.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiexen wrote: »
    Well it is a pretty unusual TV show!

I loved Martha saying "I know about the wig"

And I hated what Beeman did to Nina Sergeevna, he could have warned her he wasn't going to leave the program.

The way I thought about that, I figured: yeah, that's a real shame for her, but... she wasn't innocent. She was a spy, he was a spy, they both chose their own country in the end. Tough luck.
  • NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member

The second you see a condom on TV you know someone is about to start an awkward conversation about having kids.
  • ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well played to itv for showing the 2nd series 2 weeks after the us showing of it

I hope the uk tv channels make sure other us series get the same process
  • AKFEAKFE Posts: 6,871
    Forum Member
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    "Please don't talk about things I don't want to read, because I say so."

Spoiling plot details that you know for certain, perhaps because you watch the US pace, is one thing, but some other forumite dictating that nobody talks about casting rumours or next series plot rumours just because they don't want to read them seems a bit rich.

Put another way:

Polite request:

Don't use the internet if you can't handle rumours.

Many thanks indeed.

Oh dear! Seems I hit a nerve. Did I say anything about rumours? Of course rumours are ok.
  • LazySusanLazySusan Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    If the girl Paige met on the bus was going to be her 'contact' it was a bit of a coincidence her being on the exact same bus as Paige when no one knew Paige was going to be on there. (I know when she got to the other end they were ready for her with pictures etc but they probably had that ready for a while). I also doubt it's the Pastor as he wouldn't of got himself arrested in case they checked into his background.

Paige doesn't seem like the type of girl to go along with it anyway, so if in the next series she does it would be completely out of character.

I doubt Stan would have been able to contact Nina to tell her anything anyway. I admit I thought her Russian boyfriend was going to do something to save her being sent home.
  • Golem XofGolem Xof Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Henry claimed that he didn't like the first Star Trek film much because it wasn't like the series - thus failing to realise that the essential story (old Earth space probe comes back more powerful and searches for its long dead creator) is the same as the original series episode The Changeling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Golem Xof wrote: »
    Henry claimed that he didn't like the first Star Trek film much because it wasn't like the series - thus failing to realise that the essential story (old Earth space probe comes back more powerful and searches for its long dead creator) is the same as the original series episode The Changeling.

I think he meant because it was slow and boring .
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,147
    Forum Member

They did reference this in season 1 the first time they slept together as trying to remember but I'm sure she said something like to you have a condom.

I guess they can only discuss this as cable rather than network TV where its sex without the sex :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has any else been wondering about Larrick's comments at the showdown (and previously if I recall) regarding 'why did you kill my friends?'

I originally thought he was referring to his colleagues in the Contra training camp that Phil killed, but could he have meant who killed Emmet and Lianne? Now that we know it was Jared, could it be that these were his 'friends' and it was their killing that turned him from spying as he believed it was Directorate S that killed them?

Reading too much into it?
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    Snail wrote: »
    Has any else been wondering about Larrick's comments at the showdown (and previously if I recall) regarding 'why did you kill my friends?'

I originally thought he was referring to his colleagues in the Contra training camp that Phil killed, but could he have meant who killed Emmet and Lianne? Now that we know it was Jared, could it be that these were his 'friends' and it was their killing that turned him from spying as he believed it was Directorate S that killed them?

To be honest, I assumed it was Emmet and Lianne he was referring to and am surprised that other people may see it differently :confused:

I didn't think he particularly cared about his 'colleagues' since he had betrayed them anyway.
  • DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elizabeth on Christianity - paraphrased - "sllly little children's story", brave thing to say on a US network. even it is fictional.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    Elizabeth on Christianity - paraphrased - "sllly little children's story", brave thing to say on a US network. even it is fictional.

Are Americans still that touchy about religion?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snail wrote: »

Larrick just confuses the hell out of me.:confused: Weren't Emmett & Leanne blackmailing him? He was a homosexual, which is not allowed in the military, & they said they would expose him.