iPhone/Find Friends/iMessage

malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Gave my lad my old iphone 4. For the first few weeks it was fine but then recently it's been unable to 'connect to network' when he is out of wifi connection. No iMessage no find friends working which I find bizarre as it all worked done a few weeks ago!

Does anybody have any ideas why this could be?? I've reset the phone and updated it. No difference. Can't understand why it would just decide to stop one day

Comments

• Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    It sounds like service provider issue, unless it literally cannot ever connect to the service providers network? Or is it just on and off connection problems.
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't really go anywhere with it other than to school and back. It still sends green messages I'm guessing it just doesn't pick up any 3G :/
  • Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Probably on O2?
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,663
    Forum Member
    Vodafone (Sainsburys) 2G area? iMessage and suchlike don't work in my area when on Vodafone GPRS or E signals, its voice and SMS (green texts) only. Try _any_ other network.
  • simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What network is it on? Does the phone have data access in general? May be that the data settings are wrong. For example, giffgaff settings need to be manually entered as the iPhone by default will try to use O2 settings for a giffgaff SIM - other MVNO networks can be similar. When the iPhone receives carrier updates this can reset manually entered data settings requiring you to re-enter them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. is that the same as the settings being set by GiffGaff? I did that today, clicked on a link which did it automatically

it does have 3g, at least it says so on the display! when you try to sign in to FF it says 'you are not connected to the internet' >:(
  • simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been a while since I used giffgaff on an iPhone and I see they have changed the way settings are set - looks like they are now an official carrier with Apple so settings should be correct as long as you are running iOS 7.1.1 or later.

As this is an iPhone 4 you may well still have it on iOS 6? I gather the iPhone 4 can struggle a bit with iOS 7. You can still put the settings in manually though - this page on the giffgaff help pages explains how.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its got the settings. its a mystery