Options

Never thought I would......

2»

Comments

• Options
    Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HD is not the norm! A handful of subscription free HD channels does not make it so.

HD is still a premium service, and will continue to be for a while yet.

Handful? All main channels now offer their HD versions as well extra channels. There are more free HD channels than ever before and then numbers are increasing. We even have free kids and news channels in HD.

There are even better HD PVRs out there than Sky HD box.

So it is clear HD is now norm and has been for a while but of course Sky would not want customers to know this in order still to charge premium for something that is norm to majority.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Handful? All main channels now offer their HD versions as well extra channels. There are more free HD channels than ever before and then numbers are increasing. We even have free kids and news channels in HD.

There are even better HD PVRs out there than Sky HD box.

So it is clear HD is now norm and has been for a while but of course Sky would not want customers to know this in order still to charge premium for something that is norm to majority.

Sky also charge for SD channels, maybe as they are also "the norm" and you can get free SD channels elsewhere, they should stop that as well!!

If you don't want to pay, don't, simple as that really.
  • Options
    UnrealUnreal Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I agree that paying a premium for HD in 2014 is verging on ridiculous.

I notice a lot of abrasive comments from pro-Sky posters on here whenever people challenge mindlessly paying their monthly fee's. I wonder if we have a few shareholders in the house?
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unreal wrote: »
    I agree that paying a premium for HD in 2014 is verging on ridiculous.
    Yet BluRays are more expensive than DVDs
    [QUOTE}I notice a lot of abrasive comments from pro-Sky posters on here whenever people challenge mindlessly paying their monthly fee's. I wonder if we have a few shareholders in the house?[/QUOTE]
    The old chestnut from those that have a shaky argument.
  • Options
    UnrealUnreal Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Yet BluRays are more expensive than DVDs
    [QUOTE}I notice a lot of abrasive comments from pro-Sky posters on here whenever people challenge mindlessly paying their monthly fee's. I wonder if we have a few shareholders in the house?
    The old chestnut from those that have a shaky argument.[/QUOTE]

Hardly a shaky argument. I'm watching HD channels via FTA. Netflix and Amazon video do not charge a premium for HD, its part of their standard offering.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Only downside at the moment with the new customer deals is the relatively small HDD in the basic wireless enabled boxes (only 250gb user space).

Wrong, by a factor of eight. It's actually 250 GB.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Netflix doesn't charge extra in recognition that most of its films and TV series are now available in 1080p. Sky Movies is now shocking value for money and that's even considering it when you only get access to movies in SD, adding the £10.75 HD charge on top of it makes it extortionate, that makes it over £50 a month, whilst Netflix remains at £6 per month and yet mostly offers full HD that it easily could have charged extra for in some sort of Netflix HD package perhaps priced at £10 (sorry if I have given them ideas but they would rather get the numbers up by offering value over and above the more traditional players which includes the likes of Sky perhaps).

If you're comparing the price of Blu-Rays over DVDs in comparison to Sky's SD and HD prices, consider this, you don't typically pay over £10 more than the price of the DVD for most Blu-Rays! They are usually just a few pounds dearer, this would be a more acceptable model for Sky's HD charge. It's sort of come in with the basic channels in HD now being £5 more than the Variety package (formerly entertainment extra). But it's far too pricey when applied to Sky Sports/Movies, and I suspect more and more people simply hold out for offers instead of actually paying those prices, I'm one of those now.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I[m on a £10 per month deal currently for 12 months for the Original package or whatever it's called now, it doesn't include documentaries, childrens or the MTV channels (loads more free to air music video channels anyway) but has Sky1, Sky Atlantic, Gold, Watch etc.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Wrong, by a factor of eight. It's actually 250 GB.

I have a feeling you'll be wanting to retract that statement. :D

The standard Sky+ HD box (wireless) only has 250gb personal space for recordings.

http://www.sky.com/products/kit/sky-plus-hd-box/
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    I have a feeling you'll be wanting to retract that statement. :D

The standard Sky+ HD box (wireless) only has 250gb personal space for recordings.

http://www.sky.com/products/kit/sky-plus-hd-box/

No it does not - it has 250GB not 250Gb. It is gigabyte (GB) not gigabit (Gb) a factor of 8 difference - 1 byte (B) equals 8 bits (b). Please learn the difference. Now who needs to retract their statement?
  • Options
    tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it does not - it has 250GB not 250Gb. It is gigabyte (GB) not gigabit (Gb) a factor of 8 difference - 1 byte (B) equals 8 bits (b). Please learn the difference. Now who needs to retract their statement?

Gigabit is 'Gb' not 'gb' like he posted. Clearly he meant Gigabyte.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member

Didn't put Gb, put gb (gigabyte) coz I'm lazy.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Netflix charges for HD. There is an SD package of £5.99 and a HD package of £6.99.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're comparing the price of Blu-Rays over DVDs in comparison to Sky's SD and HD prices, consider this, you don't typically pay over £10 more than the price of the DVD for most Blu-Rays! They are usually just a few pounds dearer, this would be a more acceptable model for Sky's HD charge.

A few pounds dearer, per movie, so if you bought 3 at £2 more, that's £6, whereas Sky charge an additional £5.25 for ALL the movies, whether you watch 1, 21 or 51.