"Little man" - gets my goat!

Comments

• shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    my son had some pjs with little man written on them, but mainly when he was a toddler I called him stinky pete - he's not called peter - it was other people who kept saying 'little man'.

then for his 2-6 years mainly he got called Lulu. We now have a cat called Lulu and he's quite proud she was named for him.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    Annoys me too.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I my nephew was a toddler I used to call him little dude. I imagine that would cause some posters start shaking with rage.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you care what others call THEIR children?

It's not bordering on chav but you're bordering on ridiculous

Actually no I can't be bothered
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If u was my facebook friend and got annoyed with me calling MY sons what I chose too then remove me because it would really be none of your business what I decide to call them. I find it odd that your moaning about nice phrases when there is people out there that say a lot worse to their children. This whole thread is whats wrong with society people frowning on others because of pathetic stuff.

Well I wouldn't remove you for what you call your family but mainly for your grammar.

If this thread is what is wrong with the whole of society you obviously need to read more books and watch more documentaries.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't remove you for what you call your family but mainly for your grammar.

If this thread is what is wrong with the whole of society you obviously need to read more books and watch more documentaries.

my point exactly pathetic stuff. People thinking they are better then others. Good job I work in accounts as clearly better at maths!

I wouldn't be friends with stuck up people in the first place. Also DO NOT tell me what to do. I do read thank you but my family is my main priority.

all good and well looking down at people through a computer but your actually no better then the shit on the bottom of my running shoes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    When I my nephew was a toddler I used to call him little dude. I imagine that would cause some posters start shaking with rage.

Your nephew, you call him what you want.

Would any of these poster actually say to a person who calls their son "little man" or "little lady" that its annoying, no they wouldn't they would carry on with their little lives and then come on here to moan.

I called my sons little dudes when they were born. Little man is used for the dog.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my point exactly pathetic stuff. People thinking they are better then others. Good job I work in accounts as clearly better at maths!

I wouldn't be friends with stuck up people in the first place. Also DO NOT tell me what to do. I do read thank you but my family is my main priority.

all good and well looking down at people through a computer but your actually no better then the shit on the bottom of my running shoes.

Oh wise one please tell us what un-pathetic stuff is there that we should worry about and let me know the solution to all the worlds problems.

I am not looking down on you I don't even know you so have no feeling of superiority whatsoever. I am sorry for saying I don't think your grammar is up too much but it was not meant in a superior way but rather letting you know what I don't like as you don't like people who you deem as judgemental and superior.

I have no need to look down on anyone, you are happy? Good. Guess what so am I.

And you should clean your shoes (oh wait sorry I forget I shouldn't tell you what to do).
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your nephew, you call him what you want.

Would any of these poster actually say to a person who calls their son "little man" or "little lady" that its annoying, no they wouldn't they would carry on with their little lives and then come on here to moan.

I called my sons little dudes when they were born. Little man is used for the dog.

Yes, I would and I have.

I'm guessing that you find nothing that anyone says annoying or irritating. It must be wonderful in your little world where everything is perfect and nobody does anything annoying. Sadly I live in the real world where people do annoying things. I'm sure I do things that annoy other people and I'm perfectly happy for people to say they find something annoying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    Yes, I would and I have.

I'm guessing that you find nothing that anyone says annoying or irritating. It must be wonderful in your little world where everything is perfect and nobody does anything annoying. Sadly I live in the real world where people do annoying things. I'm sure I do things that annoy other people and I'm perfectly happy for people to say they find something annoying.

Yes I do find things annoying but I'm an adult so I don't say anything and I like to set a good example to my children. But to be honest if you said that to me I would politely give my children to my partner and tell him to keep walking as I wouldn't want them to hear what I would say to you. I'm surprised you haven't been knock out.

Wow there is bitching about stuff like this thread then there is the complete d**k heads who get their selves involved in other peoples business and say stuff. Love the obnoxious people who think they have a right to get involved in something that is f*** all to do with them.

as for BIB really, you do. Clearly you don't. Like I said there is bitching about things then the complete arse that take it one step too far and mention stuff that is nothing to do with them. I hate girls that talk like they are little boys, but I certainly don't go and tell them because I live in the real world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I would and I have.

You really don't live the real world. If you were to go round complaining to people about what they chose to call their kids you'd end up with a broken nose, at least.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I do find things annoying but I'm an adult so I don't say anything and I like to set a good example to my children. But to be honest if you said that to me I would politely give my children to my partner and tell him to keep walking as I wouldn't want them to hear what I would say to you. I'm surprised you haven't been knock out.

Wow there is bitching about stuff like this thread then there is the complete d**k heads who get their selves involved in other peoples business and say stuff. Love the obnoxious people who think they have a right to get involved in something that is f*** all to do with them.

as for BIB really, you do. Clearly you don't. Like I said there is bitching about things then the complete arse that take it one step too far and mention stuff that is nothing to do with them. I hate girls that talk like they are little boys, but I certainly don't go and tell them because I live in the real world.

Wow, I'm obnoxious for saying to someone I know that I find the term "little man" annoying and you're effing and blinding and talking about knocking people out. I'm not telling people that they should stop saying "little man", I'm just pointing out to them that I find it annoying. The same as how we tell our mate who always bangs on about his dog that we find that annoying.

I might be wide of the mark here but I'm guessing you're a baby bore and this thread has just hit a nerve. I wouldn't let it get to you, everyone does things that other people find annoying.

I hope that when you're setting a good example to your children you pass them to your partner for the literacy and grammar lessons.
    RebelScum wrote: »
    You really don't live the real world. If you were to go round complaining to people about what they chose to call their kids you'd end up with a broken nose, at least.

So, you never tell anyone that they're doing something annoying? We'll generally make a joke of it but we'll tell each other if something irritates us. All my mates know I dislike the term "little man" and some will now purposefully say to me "how's your little man?" because they know it irritates me. It's just a bit of banter though.

I imagine that people who never let anyone know that they're irritated just walk around all day holding all this irritation inside. It's good to communicate and get things out in the open, what's the point in bottling things up?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, you never tell anyone that they're doing something annoying? We'll generally make a joke of it but we'll tell each other if something irritates us. All my mates know I dislike the term "little man" and some will now purposefully say to me "how's your little man?" because they know it irritates me. It's just a bit of banter though.

I imagine that people who never let anyone know that they're irritated just walk around all day holding all this irritation inside. It's good to communicate and get things out in the open, what's the point in bottling things up?

If the children, or adults, are being overbearing or distributive, sure. Not when it comes to what people choose to call their children (unless it's harmful behaviour such as swearing).
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Little Man", "princess", "bean", "peanut", "bump" etc all make me cringe. They're far too cutsie and vomit inducing and generally used by people who have no life outside of their children. What the hell is wrong with using the kids name?

There's a difference between being a proud parent and being a mental obsessive who constantly rams their child down everyones throats. There's also a difference between being a normal parent and being one of those people who have a child and then almost cease to exist as a person. It's as if having a child has completely stolen their identity and they're no longer a person in their own right, they're just completely defined by being a "mummy" or "daddy". You can't have a conversation with them without them banging on about their kid. I personally don't really care about what somebody elses kid has been up to.

I'm a proud parent but in 5 months I've not put one single picture on Facebook and I've only mentioned him once (when he was born). If someone specifically asks me to see a picture I'll show them and if someone specifically asks me about him I'll talk about him, if not I just talk about exactly what I'd have talked about before I had him, I still have a life and do the same things and have the same hobbies and interests.

We had two temps in work for a few months, both mums, and one member of staff wouldn't ask them about anything apart their kids. She looks after a child that goes to the same school, and would just obsessively keep up the school gate chatter. The poor women looked bored stiff by the whole thing and seemed to enjoy people changing the subject.

I don't get why people bother being defensive on their own or other's behalf on this kind of thread - it's just a gripe people have. No one actually wants to or will punch anyone in the head over this issue - this is just a 'safe place' to express that dislike! The internet is actually a great place to moan about such gripes - none of your friends might have them, and they may be minor and petty in the context of an otherwise happy relationship. Instead of 'why not just ignore them', why not just express that irritation on the internet where you can't hurt their feelings and continue to enjoy the rest of your friendship?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had two temps in work for a few months, both mums, and one member of staff wouldn't ask them about anything apart their kids. She looks after a child that goes to the same school, and would just obsessively keep up the school gate chatter. The poor women looked bored stiff by the whole thing and seemed to enjoy people changing the subject.

I don't get why people bother being defensive on their own or other's behalf on this kind of thread - it's just a gripe people have. No one actually wants to or will punch anyone in the head over this issue - this is just a 'safe place' to express that dislike! The internet is actually a great place to moan about such gripes - none of your friends might have them, and they may be minor and petty in the context of an otherwise happy relationship. Instead of 'why not just ignore them', why not just express that irritation on the internet where you can't hurt their feelings and continue to enjoy the rest of your friendship?

BIB stop trying to make common sense. ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen loads more of this on people's twitter posts / facebook pages this morning - why on earth do people insist on calling baby boys their little man?

What is the equivalent for a baby girl? There isn't one! I rest my case!

Stop it! It is so annoying and - dare I say it - bordering on chav?

:D:D:D
    Could it be that what upsets you so much is your mother still calls you her `Little Man`
    :D
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    There's definitely a problem with social media in that it seems to encourage the baby bores and gives them a platform to ram their kid down a greater number of peoples throats in one go. There's no particular "venom" but I just find the terms irritating, they actually just don't make sense to me, a "little man" to me is a dwarf. Someone put on Facebook "I can't wait to have fun with my little man tonight", I was drunk and fed up of baby posts so asked her if it was her pet name for her husbands penis, she blocked me.
    I just don't understand why people become so obsessed and I find it weird how people let it take over their lives. I guess it's each to their own but I want to be a parent and a person in my own right with a social life, friends and hobbies, it's perfectly easy to do.
    It's not just social media though. There's a woman at work who literally talks about nothing but her kids, I tend to just ignore her but when I had mine she suddenly wanted to be friends. Just cos we've both got kids doesn't suddenly mean I don't think she's an insufferable bore.

Well, I smiled...:D
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any term of endearment is fine by me . It beats a lot of horrible names kids get called by abusive parents
    Any parent who loves their little man or little lady is fine by me
  • LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad as it is, it's not as annoying as people who refer to their pets as fur babies.

Aaagggh yes "FURBABIES" is much worse, and sounds a bit creepy to me!

Things like "furbabies" and "little man" are so ubiquitous that they have now become clichés, which are annoying to many people. and impossible to avoid in day to day life.

It's like "thinking outside the box", or "at the end of the day", and all the others clichés that are widely accepted as being irritating and unimaginative....only more soppy, which makes them even more nauseating.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member
    I call my cat baby, baby-girl, my other half is called poopie... BUT that's just between us (okay, and you lot now) but I wouldn't dream of putting updates on my life on facebook or wherever using those nick-names! That's the bit I think is unnecessary. Have all the twee names for your loved ones you like but no need to share them with everyone else. That's my view anyway.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Someone i know has a 6 month old and every day she posts around 10 of the best photos of him with captions like "little man enjoying breakfast" "little man playing" "little man having a nap".

I wonder if she will repeat the whole thing when she has another baby or if the novelty wears off after the first child.

'Little man taking a shit, eating it, wiping it on the wall and all over the cat'
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just KNEW the OP was gonna contain the word "chav."
    Leicester_Hunk you seem to have a slight obsession with those in society who you deem to be chavs! :D
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I call my daughter princess, darling, baby girl etc at home. I wouldn't call her these things on Facebook but if others do with their children then that's their choice, I don't get annoyed by it. What does annoy me is when I go on a rare night out and my friends just want to talk about children. I'm having a night off can we please talk about something else! I couldn't give a shit if your kid used the potty or what they had for dinner last night, I have my own child who does the same thing.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Got friends who are a big Game of Thrones fan, so I call their boy "Half-man" and "The Imp".

They saw the funny side... ish :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got friends who are a big Game of Thrones fan, so I call their boy "Half-man" and "The Imp".

They saw the funny side... ish :D

See that's inventive...