My skin stinks in hot weather!

2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is a weird one and I could do with some advice as it's starting to really annoy me.

I'm a very clean person, I shower every day and I don't really suffer from B.O under my armpits in the summer as roll-on deodorant does the job fine but what I do find is that any exposed skin like my face, back of my neck and particularly my forearms stink when the sun starts to burn/tan them. If I'm outside all day I have to keep spraying body spray on my arms but all that does is to mask the smell so if I go to the toilet I'll wash my hands and arms but I'd look a bit silly doing my face. To be honest it's getting me down a bit as I'd love to stay out in the sun like everybody else but I just can't. It was a hot day yesterday yet I had to wear a long sleeve shirt and a hat, the trouble is that didn't work as my face and the back of my neck were still exposed and started to smell. This time of year I'm having to take two showers a day.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do? I've tried Googling my symptoms but there was just page after page of under arm smells.

Comments

• Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might be something you're eating, OP.

Believe it or not. some foods' aroma actually emit from your body a few hours later. Usually spicy stuff.
  • 2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard that theory before but I don't eat a lot of spicy stuff, once a week if that. I seem to have noticed it more this summer even though I've been like it for years. I don't eat anything out of the ordinary...
  • Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's some kind of genetic disorder where you can't break down certain compounds I think in things like eggs but I don't know much about it or if it would be related. Maybe it's aggravated by the heat?

If it's bothering you it might be worth mentioning to your doctor and seeing if they know any more?
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does it smell of?
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im wondering what the odour is too, as when I have been in the sun, my skin smells lovely, it has a sort of ozony smell to it. I dont wear any sun cream.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.fluther.com/42819/whats-with-that-outside-smell-that-people-get-when-theyve-been/

http://davidgaddy.com/?p=267

Crikey seems there is more to this than I ever imagined. I hope I havent got a dodgy nose where I think I smell nice after being in the sun but really dont?
  • OmlOml Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    I don't have this problem in general but if I ever get sunburn it smells horrible but it's only really noticeable if I literally put my nose next to my skin. I'm not really sure what smell you are talking about.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make an appointment with your GP.
  • MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you Google, "Melanin odour on tanning bed" lots of sites come up with answers like this one.

"
    What's causing the scent that I smell after tanning?
    In a word, melanin. Ultraviolet light in the UVA range causes melanin to enlarge and turn brown. During the process, dermatologists say a chemical reaction takes place. A natural side effect of the reaction is the aroma. This occurrence is normal whether you've been tanning inside or outside. Some tanning lotions have been designed to minimize or prevent the odor from occurring, but ultimately a shower will remove the odor.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is normal for your skin to smell different when you're in hot sun.
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make an appointment with your GP.

.......and tell the GP what exactly, my body smells when the temperature is higher than seasonally normal , well like , doh ?

The OP is over-reacting , due to the absolute horror we have in today's crazy antiseptic world that someone might ACTUALLY smell like a real human being should smell.

You are imagining it mate, you smell OK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    .......and tell the GP what exactly, my body smells when the temperature is higher than seasonally normal , well like , doh ?

The OP is over-reacting , due to the absolute horror we have in today's crazy antiseptic world that someone might ACTUALLY smell like a real human being should smell.

You are imagining it mate, you smell OK.

^ This
  • ashley1234ashley1234 Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Mine does too. My doctor says he doesn't know what causes it, but, I don't eat spicy food because of a stomach condition. My only idea is probaly its something to do with the medication I take.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    The OP is over-reacting

No I wouldn't say it's an over-reaction. Imagine you had a physical job where you had to work outside all day in the heat, at the end of the day you'd stink and need a good shower wouldn't you? Well that's how I am after 30 minutes in the sun. Like I said in my first post it's not under arm B.O as deodorant works for me but an exposed skin will start to smell. It is noticeable if you stand next to me, my wife has commented on it before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    http://www.fluther.com/42819/whats-with-that-outside-smell-that-people-get-when-theyve-been/

http://davidgaddy.com/?p=267

Crikey seems there is more to this than I ever imagined. I hope I havent got a dodgy nose where I think I smell nice after being in the sun but really dont?

There's a good reply in that first link which sounds similar to me:

I really don’t have a clue. I know it’s very unpleasant and my son even tells me I smell like a wet dog. Extra perfumes or body sprays do not seem to phase it. How does one get answers for smelling like a wet dog!?
  • ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try putting some sun cream on. It might stop your skin reacting to the sun.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am curious what it smells like as I had a friend many years ago who couldn't eat fish, if she did the smell would come out of her skin for days later, even the use of fish compounds in other foods caused it to happen too. I don't think at the time there was any answer just to avoid fish but I know if she accidentally ate anything with fish in it she was miserable about it for days after.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wet dog is a very good description as in the quote above. I've tried suncream but that didn't stop the smell even though the smell seems to be linked to my skin burning.
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you could get some wet wipes to use on your face and arms during the day instead of constantly washing them.
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Are you male or female? I ask because as a 56 yr old female:( - I have changed during the last year - I've never sweated that much at all - I did and still do shower or bath twice a day ( I love that feeling of cleanliness with fresh sheets/ bedding.)
    Is it a hormonal problem? I think mine is due to menopause - hence I change bedding/ night wear daily. I'm paranoid about smells.
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you male or female? I ask because as a 56 yr old female:( - I have changed during the last year - I've never sweated that much at all - I did and still do shower or bath twice a day ( I love that feeling of cleanliness with fresh sheets/ bedding.)
    Is it a hormonal problem? I think mine is due to menopause - hence I change bedding/ night wear daily. I'm paranoid about smells.

A wife and son has been mentioned, so I'm taking that to mean that a bloke has asked for the advice ;-)

All I can suggest is an appointment with a doctor.

Good luck with it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I'm male, 40 years old next year. :)

I see people saying about visiting my GP but he's not the most helpful of doctors at the best of times even when I'm ill, I'd hate to book an appointment to tell him I smell when it's hot & sunny. :cry:

I was hoping there'd be some miracle pill on the market. :cry: