Comments

• Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    What has Canadian storms got to do with the UK:confused:

As far as i'm aware non are forecast here:confused:

Yeah I sort of felt that. The opening post is done in a way that it is happening here. Why not post in an American or Canadian forum. :confused:
    Next news : It's getting hot in some places in Australia.
  • Options
    mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Yeah I sort of felt that. The opening post is done in a way that it is happening here. Why not post in an American or Canadian forum. :confused:

Because if it happens it will be VERY big news. They don't happen that much. The title was pretty clear 'NORTH AMERICAN'. If you don't like the topic because of the geographical content then don't enter it.

And for your info, DS has Canadian, US versions...
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it me?
  • Options
    ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »

If you're going to post drivel at least get your drivel right.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the freezing rain we experienced where I live (Hampshire) was in the 90's and it only actually rained the stuff for a short time. The reason it became a problem is that it happened on a busy Saturday morning and people had no idea it was coming, so went about their daily lives as normal, until they fell over! It definitely could not be called an ice storm.

Not too bad then.

There isn't much info on the January 1940 event, as it occurred during wartime, and there's very little info online about the 1947 event. But I have a weather book written in 1949, which refers to it.

Trains out of Waterloo were all but paralysed, many in mid journey, especially on lines using the electrified third rail, as the electricity was cut off. A telegraph pole fell onto a railwayman's hut, which was fortunately empty at the time, and there were many minor collisions between skidding vehicles, as well as cases of broken bones where pedestrians had slipped over whilst attempting to walk on the sheet ice. Surrey was the worst affected county.

Glad that it's such a rare event in this country.

Persistent freezing fog deposited ice in the form of rime over parts of Northern England during the very cold February and March of 1969. This caused the television transmitter at Emley Moor to collapse on 19th March 1969.

picture of the wreckage taken after the event
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because if it happens it will be VERY big news. They don't happen that much. The title was pretty clear 'NORTH AMERICAN'. If you don't like the topic because of the geographical content then don't enter it.

It's very interesting. I'm glad you've posted :)
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freezing rain is the worst thing ever, it's also like the easiest way to get a sustained power outage. Once the ice downs some power lines it takes them forever to put back up, like people go days without power after freezing rain, or wintry mix type precipitation. I've experienced thunder snow before it's creepy, and disconcerting haha.

We're flying back to Ohio on Saturday so after reading the first post and the links I was like uh oh, but luckily Ohio is only forecast to get rain for the whole storm, so good luck to the Canadians with this one!
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Okay, just chill out, will you?

In the first place there's no "ice storm" forecasted. Freezing rain does not an ice storm make.

In the second place, if it DOES happen there's bugger all you can do about it. Stay home. Stay off the roads. (This is the very reason Canadians are advised to have at least three days' worth of food and water in the house.)

Stay calm and carry on (I'll be adding "drink" to that myself.) ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, just chill out, will you?

In the first place there's no "ice storm" forecasted. Freezing rain does not an ice storm make.

In the second place, if it DOES happen there's bugger all you can do about it. Stay home. Stay off the roads. (This is the very reason Canadians are advised to have at least three days' worth of food and water in the house.)

Stay calm and carry on (I'll be adding "drink" to that myself.) ;-)

http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?on61

Maybe have a look at the effects of an ice storm before telling me what to do and btw I am not Canadian.
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This says Ice Storm http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/snow-freezing-rain-and-risk-of-a-major-ice-storm-in-ontario-this-weekend/18137/ and looks pretty serious. Stay safe Ontarians!! (I think that's the right demonym, hehehe)
  • Options
    welsh_Elwelsh_El Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This says Ice Storm http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/snow-freezing-rain-and-risk-of-a-major-ice-storm-in-ontario-this-weekend/18137/ and looks pretty serious. Stay safe Ontarians!! (I think that's the right demonym, hehehe)

Agree
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?on61

Maybe have a look at the effects of an ice storm before telling me what to do and btw I am not Canadian.

I didn't say you were Canadian, although you do apparently live in Canada. You don't actually have to be a Canadian citizen to heed the advice. Oh, and I was here for the last major ice storm.

(And I had already checked the weather forecast before posting, I thought I'd made that obvious but I could be wrong. It says there "is a risk". It's not time to start panicking yet.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck. Hope it turns out not to be as bad as what it sounds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bb7kDMkCYAExAYk.jpg:large

Not looking good:(
    Making sure we have enough food/water to last 3 days.

If this holds we most likely will be postponing Christmas.

Hoping things change:(
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    What has Canadian storms got to do with the UK:confused:

As far as i'm aware non are forecast here:confused:
    So, we can only post on UK subjects then?
    Are you a mod?, when did this rule come in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update:

You could do with your own generator, as the power will most likely fail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My god, what IS it with some people, who seem determined to start stupid arguments instead of actually discussing the topic.
    If you dont like a thread, alert the mods!...they can decide if its relevant or not, but I can safely say, this thread breaks NO DS rules whatsover.
    And I personally find it interesting.

Anyway..I experienced an ice storm a few years back...awful, just awful....I hope this doesnt impact on you to much OP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotelier wrote: »
    My god, what IS it with some people, who seem determined to start stupid arguments instead of actually discussing the topic.
    If you dont like a thread, alert the mods!...they can decide if its relevant or not, but I can safely say, this thread breaks NO DS rules whatsover.
    And I personally find it interesting.

Anyway..I experienced an ice storm a few years back...awful, just awful....I hope this doesnt impact on you to much OP.

TBH I am now ignoring all the pettyness;-)

Just hoping the temperature changes and it turns into snow. We live near a lot of trees so that makes the chances of the power going even higher>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    You could do with your own generator, as the power will most likely fail.

In an ideal world we would get one...but it just isn't possible with so little time now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update:

You're gonna be just fine :)

If you're in the GTA you probably won't be without power for long - if at all. If things do get bad just hunker down with your family at home. It's mostly people in outlying areas that end up losing power for any length of time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're gonna be just fine :)

If you're in the GTA you probably won't be without power for long - if at all. If things do get bad just hunker down with your family at home. It's mostly people in outlying areas that end up losing power for any length of time.

I am in the GTA and in the 2003 blackout we lost power for nearly 60 hours. Obviously it is different situation (summer & no warnings) but I would rather be prepared than over prepared.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am in the GTA and in the 2003 blackout we lost power for nearly 60 hours. Obviously it is different situation (summer & no warnings) but I would rather be prepared than over prepared.

Yes indeed I remember it well, but that was nothing to do with the weather. Sounds like you've done all you can do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at google radar, looks like north of new brunswick has an ice storm now. The radar shows rain and sleet, but the temps are average -12C. A mix of snow/sleet and rain further west and south, stretching down to lake Huron via Ottawa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes indeed I remember it well, but that was nothing to do with the weather. Sounds like you've done all you can do.

I did say "Obviously it is different situation"

If the power goes out no one can really predict how long it can be for...like I said we are preparing for the worst and making sure we have enough food and water for 3 days.
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.ksl.com/?sid=28083453&nid=148

with a little hint of Anchorman here