Options

Hollyoaks: John Paul storyline

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not liking the sound of the new spoilers.
    Has JP not suffered enough yet, really? The rape was bad enough but Hollyoaks obviously didn't think that JP's anguish over the rape alone was interesting enough. So they keep coming up with more and more silly scenarios to pile on the misery for JP.

It lost all sense of believability when JP had to save Finn's life on the school trip and has spiraled into sensationalist crap ever since. Finn swapping Robbie's statement with a fabricated one of his own, and the judge just believing it without question and without Robbie even appearing in court to testify that he'd written it, was the final straw for me. I didn't think it could get any worse....but now we have this latest 'twist'.

Nothing is written now with thoughts of how JP might behave/think as a rape victim.
    Instead it's all about what new twist they can think of to make JP's situation even worse, how they can isolate him even further, how they can make him more miserable, how they can make things more 'interesting' for us viewers (whilst Ironically achieving the opposite effect!).
    It's a shame because James Sutton is more than capable of pulling off the suffering JP feels as a rape victim without the need for all the added dramatics.
  • Options
    fairyfruitcakefairyfruitcake Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    Wonder who it could be, at least we have finally got some info. Why can't they just let him deal with it instead of adding more drama.

Probably going to be Peri's father - Leela's ex
  • Options
    trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks is doing the JP storyline like they do all their storylines. Like Sinead losing her baby which I thought was pretty moving at the start but then instead of having Sinead grow from the experience, let's keep her as vengeful as she's always been. It's the same things with these stupid gangster plots. Why is someone dealing with the effects of being a rape victim not enough for them?
  • Options
    fairyfruitcakefairyfruitcake Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably going to be Peri's father - Leela's ex

sorry really should read to the bottom of the thread!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevon1 wrote: »
    Hollyoaks is doing the JP storyline like they do all their storylines. Like Sinead losing her baby which I thought was pretty moving at the start but then instead of having Sinead grow from the experience, let's keep her as vengeful as she's always been. It's the same things with these stupid gangster plots. Why is someone dealing with the effects of being a rape victim not enough for them?

Because it's Kirkwood.
  • Options
    SamL94SamL94 Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    I have a horrible feeling that, when JP comes out of prison, he is going to get taunted, etc. I have a feeling that most people will have believed Robbie's statement, and they will give him a hard time over it. Especially the likes of Sandy, and the rest of the Roscoes.

It will be interesting to see how long he is on tonights episode, and what happens. I hope he finds out soon that it was Finn that wrote that false statement, not Robbie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why didn't Robbie say that wasn't his statement? Even if he is scared of Finn he could have said that wasn't the statement without saying it was Finn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    redrose89 wrote: »
    Why didn't Robbie say that wasn't his statement? Even if he is scared of Finn he could have said that wasn't the statement without saying it was Finn.

There's absolutely no reason not to. The Hollyoaks writers just can't think of another way to drag it out.
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexstar wrote: »
    I don't mind that Finn is the attacker but a lot of the SL is just farcical. Robbie and Phoebe both scared of weedy little Finn? Doesn't make any sense, Phoebe has no prior reason to assume or even believe Finn is a threat! Robbie on the other hand?! And he is a bit panto villain, just showing up in every scene when someone is trying to do something with his smug little smile......ooooh scary! But that's not his fault, that's the pathetic writing!

Well as another person said you can't tell who is and who isn't a criminal just by looking at them. Finn should have done more to intimidate/scare though so that the storyline would be more believable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely; we all see the gobby little teenagers in the street who then wee their pants when someone bigger or a police officer comes along. Finn is dark, twisted and anyone is capable of rape believe me, my attacker was someone who was seen as "normal".

While I am sorry to hear you were attacked and yes people whom you think are "normal" can be capable of crime, I have to disagree with the bit in bold. While anyone can take a life under certain circumstances, you'd have to be a certain kind of person to be able to go through with something like rape, and of course in the majority of cases, it's usually a sexual male (I don't believe an asexual can go through with it and for a female, even rarer though not impossible) - I would like to believe that the majority of people would not only find such a crime sickening and wrong, but would realise that all the power and control in the world is not worth doing something so degrading for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamL94 wrote: »
    I have a horrible feeling that, when JP comes out of prison, he is going to get taunted, etc. I have a feeling that most people will have believed Robbie's statement, and they will give him a hard time over it. Especially the likes of Sandy, and the rest of the Roscoes.

It will be interesting to see how long he is on tonights episode, and what happens. I hope he finds out soon that it was Finn that wrote that false statement, not Robbie.

Well obviously the Roscoes will believe the statement as they are Robbie's family. I'm not sure about anyone else in the village though.

BIB - I hope so too.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is back tonight :D I hope to see lots of scenes with his family tonight.
  • Options
    Emma_HenveyEmma_Henvey Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member

I agree. I wonder if any of the Roscoe know about this 'abuse' cause only Sandy seems to know, you would think she would tell them if she thought Robbie was being abused by his teacher. Hopefully when JP returns the McQueen's remember the statement, cause they seem to have forgotten about it and they have been surprising nice to someone who's statement got him put in jail. I also wonder what his reaction will be to Robbie. OMG, I can't wait for tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Absolutely; we all see the gobby little teenagers in the street who then wee their pants when someone bigger or a police officer comes along. Finn is dark, twisted and anyone is capable of rape believe me, my attacker was someone who was seen as "normal".

Yeah, I think that is such an important point and if the Hollyoaks writers approached it this way would make it far more interesting. The truly scary thing about rape is that anyone is capable of it and generally comes from a patriarchal belief that those having power are entitled to exhibit their power over those they deem inferior. Obviously, rape is an extreme version of this but it is simplistic to think that all rapist are over-the-top psychos like Finn. That is why you get incidents like university lads assaulting young women at parties who their parents will swear up and down are "good boys."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    I wonder what the people from the male rape charities must think about this story? Hollyoaks clearly stopped taking their advice a few weeks after the rape. John Pauls initial suffering was realistic, I'm sure, but now? I'm sure they're just glad they got the 500k funding, and are trying to distance themselves from the story as much as they can. What a waste of those people's valuable time, coming out with this sensationalist rubbish! James Sutton is practically carrying this story singlehandedly.

No doubt he'll be working for Cameron, expected to get close to the Lomaxes and Peri, who no doubt loathe him, and blame him for the break up of their family, over and above perfect father Danny. >:(
    I think I might actually find the other residents reactions to JP worse than Finns smug smile. When Sandy slapped him a few months ago, I wanted to give her a good slap. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well obviously the Roscoes will believe the statement as they are Robbie's family. I'm not sure about anyone else in the village though.

BIB - I hope so too.
    That's my point though. The Roscoe's are obviously going to give him stick, and it will be awful to watch. Robbie will want to tell them the truth, but he won't (not at first anyway), out of fear.

It wouldn't surprise if other people in the village give him stick either, after everything the show has put him through already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's my point though. The Roscoe's are obviously going to give him stick, and it will be awful to watch. Robbie will want to tell them the truth, but he won't (not at first anyway), out of fear.

It wouldn't surprise if other people in the village give him stick either, after everything the show has put him through already.

Hollyoaks probably aren't satisfied until everyone in the village has turned against JP, they'll probably start making his family turn against him - look at Phoebe.
  • Options
    dubgazdubgaz Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »

What the hell are the Hollyoaks writers smoking???? As if they have not ruined the rape storyline enough they have to go and do this. It just beggars belief that people are still watching this tripe
  • Options
    dubgazdubgaz Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly. He could have told at least one of this brothers. Just more lazy writing from an increasingly dreadful show
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dubgaz wrote: »
    Exactly. He could have told at least one of this brothers. Just more lazy writing from an increasingly dreadful show

I agree. I'm watching probably because of an addiction I need treatment for, but there is absolutely no character development, no sense of care to what characters in these situations would actually go through, etc. It is all plot driven and relies on turning characters into complete idiots to keep storylines going.
  • Options
    sderr123sderr123 Posts: 13,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I think that is such an important point and if the Hollyoaks writers approached it this way would make it far more interesting. The truly scary thing about rape is that anyone is capable of it and generally comes from a patriarchal belief that those having power are entitled to exhibit their power over those they deem inferior. Obviously, rape is an extreme version of this but it is simplistic to think that all rapist are over-the-top psychos like Finn. That is why you get incidents like university lads assaulting young women at parties who their parents will swear up and down are "good boys."

I think if we are talking about a "date rape" where someone feels entitled to take sex from someone they are sexually attracted then Finn would act more "normal". As if they actually believe this something anyone would do under certain circumstances. Most rapes are date rapes but not all are. In this case Finn clearly didn't do what he did because he felt entitled to sex from JP, his motivation was different so his behavior should be different. Finn is committing a hate crime. Not all rapists are the same. I don't think most people would do what Finn did because in this case there really is no pretext, no way to rationalize his behavior as just "boys being boys".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hollyoaks probably aren't satisfied until everyone in the village has turned against JP, they'll probably start making his family turn against him - look at Phoebe.
    Exactly! I don't see why they feel the need to put JP through so much. First he was bullied for months over his sexuality. Then he was raped. Then he was taunted by Finn and Robbie after the rape. Then he was arrested. Then he was made to look like he was coming onto Robbie in that false statement. Then he was put in prison. And now it looks like the village (certainly the Roscoe's) will turn against him over his assault on Robbie, and the stuff in the false statement that he didn't even do. Plus he has lost his job.

What else are they going to put him through before he finally gets justice? >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which is exactly what happened to me; he wouldn't take no for an answer so decided to do something about it himself. I think Hollyoaks tried to portray the power thing but did it very badly in my opinion. If they had shown more of Finn's want to see his child and how he felt neglected by his family after the birth of the twins him wanting control would make more sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sderr123 wrote: »
    I think if we are talking about a "date rape" where someone feels entitled to take sex from someone they are sexually attracted then Finn would act more "normal". As if they actually believe this something anyone would do under certain circumstances. Most rapes are date rapes but not all are. In this case Finn clearly didn't do what he did because he felt entitled to sex from JP, his motivation was different so his behavior should be different. Finn is committing a hate crime. Not all rapists are the same. I don't think most people would do what Finn did because in this case there really is no pretext, no way to rationalize his behavior as just "boys being boys".

I think you are absolutely right and I didn't mean to imply that his behaviour, or any rape for that matter is just "boys being boys." What I guess I was focusing on was the notion that only psychos are capable of rape which in my opinion does not get to the root of the problem. By saying that all psychos are rape, we dismiss rape as something that is almost akin to a horror film when it is unfortunately a very real part of the world that surrounds us. I agree with you that not all rapists are the same and that is what I meant to suggest (not very well unfortunately) with my post.

I agree that Finn did not feel entitled to sex from JP, but I do think there is a sense of entitlement in other ways from both him and Robbie towards JP. I have felt there is a sense that because he is gay they feel they are entitled to abuse him in very ways and I sensed a great deal of entitled from Robbie towards JP when he was yelling at JP for not giving Finn mouth to mouth right away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly! I don't see why they feel the need to put JP through so much. First he was bullied for months over his sexuality. Then he was raped. Then he was taunted by Finn and Robbie after the rape. Then he was arrested. Then he was made to look like he was coming onto Robbie in that false statement. Then he was put in prison. And now it looks like the village (certainly the Roscoe's) will turn against him over his assault on Robbie, and the stuff in the false statement that he didn't even do. Plus he has lost his job.

What else are they going to put him through before he finally gets justice? >:(

I agree. Also I hate the personality transplants character has been given. If this was in the real world there was no way Robbie would have gotten away with the amount of things he has done. Hit and run, bullying, robbery, lieing about being abused, stealing etc. The characters have been absolute idiots. Patrick and Danny both knew that JP was being bullied yet they act so shocked when JP lashed out. Also didn't Diane and Sandy get called into the school cause Finn punched JP. I understand the Roscoe's and O'Connor being oblivious to Finn and Robbie's behavior. But the rest of the village is a bit too much. People have known JP for years and they really believe he beats up students for no reason. Nancy is really getting on my nerves lately. First she believes that JP would lash out a Robbie for no reason despite being his best friend and now she believes that Maxine would abuse Patrick. Hollyoaks are really taking it's viewers for idiots.
This discussion has been closed.