Options

Is your car on finance?

lone wolfs howllone wolfs howl Posts: 62
Forum Member
As per thread title, plus state details of the vehicle.

I've got a mid 90's Toyota that I use for work which I own outright. It owes me absolutely nothing and never breaks down, but I've considered purchasing another car to use at the weekend. The thought however of purchasing a car on finance makes me feel a bit dirty, plus I'm of the opinion that people who 'buy' cars on finance are a bit fake and pretentious.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I know what you mean. I feel the same about buying a house with a mortgage instead of paying in cash.
  • Options
    lone wolfs howllone wolfs howl Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    I know what you mean. I feel the same about buying a house with a mortgage instead of paying in cash.

I feel the same, but a financed car makes me feel dirtier. Actually they both make me feel as dirty as each other.
  • Options
    spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    Either buy it in cash then, or make do with what you've got.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No - bought for cash.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was but now it's fully paid.
  • Options
    tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brand new, paid in cash.
  • Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine's on lease.
  • Options
    dan_blamiresdan_blamires Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One is. Were going to pay cash but there was an interest free option so bunged some cash into investment portfolio instead.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buying a car on finance unless interest free is madness. The car's losing value all the time interest is racking up. I prefer to buy a run around, run it in to the ground, then get another.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely its just a matter of personal preference. Some buy cars. Sone holidays. Some spend their money on entertainment or watching sport.

If you have the cash then pay cash and save the hp interest, if not take finance. Or dont buy a new car.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have had cars on finance in the past but this one was bought and paid for outright. It's nothing fancy and it was 18 months old when we bought it.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my car new on 0% finance and paid for it over 2 years. I don't see how that is seen as 'dirty' or fake. Finance is cheap and easy to get these days so why not take advantage of that as long as you're living within your means and can afford to pay it back easily?
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My second car I owned I bought with finance and it took me 5 years to pay it off, and I only had the car for 3 years because it completely had it and would have cost another fortune to fix it.

So I'll never buy with finance again, I always buy second hand cars worth £1000 or less and I never have any big issues with it.
  • Options
    John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How I love people on here been so judgemental.... oh to be so perfect and well off.

Luckily, the world isnt full of pretentious nob ends though and many people have no choice but to buy their cars with finance.

I have a newish van that is in finance but driving 50k a year, I do need something that is reliable and cheap to fuel. If it lets me down, I potentailly lose my days pay.

Id like a new or nearly new car too, and in the past, probably would of used finance for it.

At the moment we have a ten year old hatchback.... bought for £1700 with 69k on it. Its cost us £300 to get through first MOT and then another £500 for second MOT but had a full service, cambelt changed and brakes looked at. Last month, new tyres at £280 (good ones).

So, to date, other than fuel, VED and insurance, the car has cost £1700 (purchase), repairs/tyres £1040 = £2740 for two years of ownership.

A new car, similar size would cost us £300 a month ish on HP for 3 years, so £3600 a year.

Like for like.... thats our car at £2740 for two years or £7200 for two years of HP.

The cars never failed to start and although the mpg isnt the best (petrol automatic), its still far cheaper than the HP option.

What would we of got, other than snob value from a new car?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

I suppose so. However, the difference is that for most people, saving up for a house is difficult and a poor economic choice, as house values always tend to inflate (away from the rate of savings).
    However, the value of cars always deflates (unless it's a classic), and it is easy to save for them, and buying them with cash is cheaper in the long-run.

I've never bought a car on finance. I just buy them when the old one becomes economically unviable (i.e. costs more to maintain than its value), and then budget about 30% of savings towards it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Woodbine wrote: »
    My second car I owned I bought with finance and it took me 5 years to pay it off, and I only had the car for 3 years because it completely had it and would have cost another fortune to fix it.

So I'll never buy with finance again, I always buy second hand cars worth £1000 or less and I never have any big issues with it.

Blimey...what make of car was it that it was shagged at 3 years old??:o Remind me not to buy one of those!
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Blimey...what make of car was it that it was shagged at 3 years old??:o Remind me not to buy one of those!
    It was a Peugeot 206, I got it in 2001 or 2002 and the electrics completely had it and the engine kept cutting out. So I could be driving it and it would randomly just come to a stand still.

It wasn't a brand new car, but it wasn't old either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Woodbine wrote: »
    It was a Peugeot 206, I got it in 2001 or 2002 and the electrics completely had it and the engine kept cutting out. So I could be driving it and it would randomly just come to a stand still.

It wasn't a brand new car, but it wasn't old either.

That's a shame. My first car was a Peugeot 205 and I loved it - a great little car!
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How I love people on here been so judgemental.... oh to be so perfect and well off.

Luckily, the world isnt full of pretentious nob ends though and many people have no choice but to buy their cars with finance.

I have a newish van that is in finance but driving 50k a year, I do need something that is reliable and cheap to fuel. If it lets me down, I potentailly lose my days pay.

Id like a new or nearly new car too, and in the past, probably would of used finance for it.

At the moment we have a ten year old hatchback.... bought for £1700 with 69k on it. Its cost us £300 to get through first MOT and then another £500 for second MOT but had a full service, cambelt changed and brakes looked at. Last month, new tyres at £280 (good ones).

So, to date, other than fuel, VED and insurance, the car has cost £1700 (purchase), repairs/tyres £1040 = £2740 for two years of ownership.

A new car, similar size would cost us £300 a month ish on HP for 3 years, so £3600 a year.

Like for like.... thats our car at £2740 for two years or £7200 for two years of HP.

The cars never failed to start and although the mpg isnt the best (petrol automatic), its still far cheaper than the HP option.

What would we of got, other than snob value from a new car?

How plebian, a 10 year old car, why would you admit to owning that ?

I'd rather sell the kids for vivisection than be seen in a hatchback, let alone a 10 year old one.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I normally pay cash for new cars. The small dealers are happy to accept cash but my last car came from a main dealer and they weren't so keen to accept a bag full of £20 notes, it took them nearly an hour to count them. Apparently it is very rare for anyone to buy cars from them with cash or cheque, most just buy on finance.
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As per thread title, plus state details of the vehicle.

I've got a mid 90's Toyota that I use for work which I own outright. It owes me absolutely nothing and never breaks down, but I've considered purchasing another car to use at the weekend. The thought however of purchasing a car on finance makes me feel a bit dirty, plus I'm of the opinion that people who 'buy' cars on finance are a bit fake and pretentious.

We own 2 cars out right, a Zafira (Wifes) bought from new and a Peugeot (mine) 2nd hand, Both were cash buys, We've never bought anything on finance, dont intend to either.

People who do are hardly Fake and Pretentious, Sometimes its the only way they can get a car if they get it on the drip.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    and101 wrote: »
    I normally pay cash for new cars. The small dealers are happy to accept cash but my last car came from a main dealer and they weren't so keen to accept a bag full of £20 notes, it took them nearly an hour to count them. Apparently it is very rare for anyone to buy cars from them with cash or cheque, most just buy on finance.

Brilliant....laughing so hard I can't get up off the floor!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought my current car cash for £30k in 2003. Still have it with 64k miles after 11 years. Will sell it shortly to downsize.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I took a loan from Sainsburys.. Mans then paid the dealer..

Due for a change shortly, not sure what tondo next.. Not really in a rush
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paid cash for car and motorbike. But the space hopper stretched the finances too much, so I sold my daughter to Boko Haram to raise the money.