Options

When Your Phone Rings Late

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you automatically assume before you have answered it that something has happened? Our phone rarely rings after 10pm and it just did and my first thought was there's a problem. It turns out there wasn't one lol :) but always think there will be when it goes late

Comments

• Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume the same thing, which is why I get rather annoyed when someone phones up at a late time and it isn't urgent.
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Do you automatically assume before you have answered it that something has happened? Our phone rarely rings after 10pm and it just did and my first thought was there's a problem. It turns out there wasn't one lol :) but always think there will be when it goes late

Was it someone asking if you have any PPI? :D
  • Options
    deev1ne0nedeev1ne0ne Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Was it someone asking if you have any PPI? :D

Probably just some freak in a Scream mask.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »

Yes.

Unless I´m expecting a call I tend to turn my mobile phone to silent and leave it in another room while I sleep. However the house phone stays on and if it rings I get super worried.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Everyone that I want to contact me has my mobile number.

Usually I have my landline phone unplugged, and only plug it in if I need to use it to make a call. If I forget to unplug it and it rings at night I tend to ignore it, and then unplug it again. :)
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    When I was little, the phone ringing after say, 10pm, meant someone had died - according to my Dad!

I still have that in my mind all these years later.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a landline... And getting texts & calls on my mobile up until about 2am is nothing unusual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    I don't have a landline... And getting texts & calls on my mobile up until about 2am is nothing unusual.

Dealer? ;-)

Only kidding!
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume it's a PPI call/scam call and ignore it. No-one has my landline number, so there can be no one who is calling me. The only reason I've got a landline is because my mum doesn't like the idea of relying on my mobile all the time in case the battery dies or something and I need to contact someone.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Dealer? ;-)

Only kidding!

Haha... No, it's a bit boring I'm afraid. I tend to get calls at all hours from other mums at the school asking about when things are due in and when certain events are happening.

And when I'm watching US shows live in the early hours of the morning other friends who are watching them call me to discuss it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    Haha... No, it's a bit boring I'm afraid. I tend to get calls at all hours from other mums at the school asking about when things are due in and when certain events are happening.

And when I'm watching US shows live in the early hours of the morning other friends who are watching them call me to discuss it.

I hope people don't ring/text you at 2am to ask when their kids' Maths homework is due in? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume it's a PPI call/scam call and ignore it. No-one has my landline number, so there can be no one who is calling me. The only reason I've got a landline is because my mum doesn't like the idea of relying on my mobile all the time in case the battery dies or something and I need to contact someone.

That's the reason we have landline. My other half's mum likes to ring to ask how our cats are, and an inane chat about what Mo and Coco have had for dinner follows.

Oh it's interesting!! >:(
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any call after 10.30 means someone has died or some drama has gone down. Got a call a couple of weeks back and knew instantly someone had died, I wish people would leave it until the morning so you don't sit having a sleepless night after hanging up.
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the landline goes after about 10/11 I automatically presume someone has died!! Think this is probably the same for most people
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    vierte wrote: »
    Any call after 10.30 means someone has died or some drama has gone down. Got a call a couple of weeks back and knew instantly someone had died, I wish people would leave it until the morning so you don't sit having a sleepless night after hanging up.

I personally wouldn't call someone after 10pm for this very reason but it has got me thinking, I don't even think I would call someone to inform them that there had been a death unless that person was directly needed to help with things (either practical or moral support) during the night. What can someone do really to help? Nothing. So calling them to inform them of bad news would wait until morning if the worse were to happen.
  • Options
    nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mothers side of the family had roots all over the place so growing up you did get used to those uncomfortable moments when the phone went off at an ungodly hour and you pretty much knew somebody had passed away

These days not so much a problem.. you can switch your mobile to silent/voice and most people don't use their landlines anymore
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the same here. After 8 is dodgy, after 10 is definitely a heart in the mouth moment.

If I had some mother calling me about a school event or homework due in at 2am I'd go bloody spare. I'd get cross enough if it were regular at a proper time!
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »

yes this has always been the case for me unfortunately, when a family member has passed away :(
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just hang up as soon as he asks "do you like scary movies?"
    :D
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Our landline is switched off all the time

Mobile, I will answer if I know who it is if not I don't, I don't know what I would think, never had a call late at night
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my grandad died I woke up with about 5 missed calls from my mum at around 8.30. As soon as I saw the calls I knew instantly. So now when I wake up to missed calls I always assume its bad news. Like this morning for example but turned out it was just my mum calling to tell me she'd posted books through the letterbox for my daughter lol.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes. The phone went at 9.45 on Monday and I thought, oh sh1t and it was my mum saying my dad was in hospital!
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a landline phone and at weekend I'm happy for my mobile to go at any time as I stay up until around 4am anyway. During the week if I'm up for work the next day I usually put my phone on "do not disturb" at midnight, then it allows calls from anyone important through but remains silent for anything else.

I wouldn't assume bad news though unless it was my mum as I know she goes to bed early so it'd be odd for her to be up late.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like late phone calls on landlines, I always assume something is wrong but it's always a call centre halfway across the world wanting something.

Mobiles it's usually a friend who's had a few and decides ringing at 2am is appropriate (although I have done it myself).
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    as someone who has t make phone calls at late hours which are bad news (usually a death) - lots of phones won't take our calls as its untraceable - a NHS fault