What food products have you noticed shrinking/are now smaller?

StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm sure things are changing size. Not just chocolate and stuff like that; I thought of it today when I was making some tuna mayo. I'm sure my mum and me used to split a tin of tuna and get a sandwich each out of it and now I'd struggle to get more than a sandwich and a bit out of them.

And no, I'm not thinking back to when I was a kid; I remember this was only about 5 years ago and my mother and I were definitely both adults then too!

Anything else you've noticed smaller than it used to be?

Comments

• EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Tuna cans are definitely smaller now

My OH ate a lot of tuna, he said they used to be 200g tins then 185g then 160g recently we've seen 120/130g tins

You can get 400g tins from cheapy shops, home bargains do 800g tins
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought so! I'll check the weight of my tin.

More expensive too they are. Used to be 50p or so a tin and now its 80 to a pound!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Anything shrunk, I no longer buy.

There are plenty of things such as Mars, Snickers, cheese, Dairy Lee, Coco Pops, Quality Street, Ryvita, Dairy Milk, laundry gel, ice cream, Imperial Leather soap, Innocent Fruit Juice, Fairy Washing Up Liquid and Baxter's soups.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    I thought so! I'll check the weight of my tin.

More expensive too they are. Used to be 50p or so a tin and now its 80 to a pound!

That's because food prices have increased hugely over the last few years.
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Solero multipack ice lollies. My God how they've shrunk compared to when I was younger (as in, like 5 years ago).
    Forum Member
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    Solero multipack ice lollies. My God how they've shrunk compared to when I was younger (as in, like 5 years ago).

Are you sure you haven't just got bigger?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure you haven't just got bigger?

No, no, don't be silly. I used to only be able to manage 3 in one sitting. Now it's like I have to clear the shelf of these lollies if I am to satisfy my hunger cravings :p
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think packets of cheese are smaller now. I might be mistaken, but the smaller slab of cheese you get now in a pack of Pilgrims Choice. Their BIG packets seem to be under 500g and the standard is about 350g now - but alas the price hasn't shrunk
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a quiche from Morrisons this week, I haven't had one in a while, but it seemed much smaller than they used to be. I buy a lot of sliced beef too and recently the packs shrank from 300g to 275g.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boosts. its basically a biscuit now
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I think packets of cheese are smaller now. I might be mistaken, but the smaller slab of cheese you get now in a pack of Pilgrims Choice. Their BIG packets seem to be under 500g and the standard is about 350g now - but alas the price hasn't shrunk

It depends on where you shop. Some supermarkets have offers on Pilgrims Choice.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I will say it just once... Aldi own brand.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wagon wheels have shrunk
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Wagon wheels have shrunk

If you do your research you would find they have shrunk from 79mm to 74mm. Hardly worth worrying about.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Innocent fruit juice - sneakily in 900ml bottles next to all the litre bottles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you do your research you would find they have shrunk from 79mm to 74mm. Hardly worth worrying about.

Yes, but a) The price hasn't gone down; b) it sets a precedent - reduce it by 5mm this year, then 1cm next year, and so on. It's sneaky; c) They (the makers) have the cheek to make it appear as if there's no change, by adding air or increasing the apparent size of the packaging.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still pissed about them shrinking the Cadbury's creme egg a few years back.
    Forum Member
    Yes, but a) The price hasn't gone down; b) it sets a precedent - reduce it by 5mm this year, then 1cm next year, and so on. It's sneaky; c) They (the makers) have the cheek to make it appear as if there's no change, by adding air or increasing the apparent size of the packaging.

It was the 1980's so I think you can relax. The price may not have gone down but it would probably have gone up more if they kept them the same size.
  • nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An easier question would be which food products have not been shrinking/getting smaller
    Forum Member
    nobodyhere wrote: »
    An easier question would be which food products have not been shrinking/getting smaller

Quite a lot, probably more than have shrunk. Unfortunately the 'rip off Britain' mentality sets in way too easily on this subject.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a lot, probably more than have shrunk. Unfortunately the 'rip off Britain' mentality sets in way too easily on this subject.

Not without good reason.
    Forum Member
    Not without good reason.

Why though? What is your knowledge like of product sizes in foreign countries?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why though? What is your knowledge like of product sizes in foreign countries?

Does it matter if companies adopt similar approaches in Malta or Canada or Peru? If the same policy of reducing product size is universal, that just indicates that this is a global issue, and is deceptive regardless of the country. And it's worth adding that it is the products of multinational corporations that appear to decrease in size lately, so I would expect a similar thing to be taking place in other countries.

The thing that gets me though, is that the companies claim the reduction in size is due to an increase in cost of ingredients. Now forgive me for being cynical (I'm not usually), but I don't believe that for a second. It's just a way of boosting profit margins. I'm not saying it is the greatest scandal ever to face humanity, but it's just worth ranting on this thread - it's topical.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its amusing when bars of chocolate get a new shape to be smaller
    Forum Member
    Does it matter if companies adopt similar approaches in Malta or Canada or Peru? If the same policy of reducing product size is universal, that just indicates that this is a global issue, and is deceptive regardless of the country. And it's worth adding that it is the products of multinational corporations that appear to decrease in size lately, so I would expect a similar thing to be taking place in other countries.

The thing that gets me though, is that the companies claim the reduction in size is due to an increase in cost of ingredients. Now forgive me for being cynical (I'm not usually), but I don't believe that for a second. It's just a way of boosting profit margins. I'm not saying it is the greatest scandal ever to face humanity, but it's just worth ranting on this thread - it's topical.

But i was referring to the 'rip off Britain' mentality. My whole point was that I am sure this happens in every country.