to mash or crush?

callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I always do mashed/crushed potatoes without peeling them, it works a treat.
I tend to do crushed potatoes, or as some would say, lumpy mash, cos I prefer a bit of texture in there, but what do you lot do?

Comments

• Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting, not done or had this.

I've just goggled it and it looks good, I will definitely try it.

Has to be with the cleaner potato types, not the really dirty once.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mashed+potatoes+with+skin&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Ct3XU4CaKIjA7AbM7YCIBA&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1360&bih=581

Thanks callmediva
  • spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crushed potatoes are lovely as long as they are done correctly. Mmm!
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I normally do mash. I usually use a ricer which gets them amazingly smooth. I love doing different kinds of mash, the last mash I did was smoked cheddar and garlic.

I think crushed are better if there's no sauce or gravy, throw a few fresh herbs in.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    We alwats had lumpy mash or crashed potatoes when we were young.

Chefs seem to think they invented them a few years back but my mam was a master at it :D

I don't like mash that's too smooth like pomme puree.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    I prefer a smooth mash - I love my ricer. I do love crushed new potatoes with lots of butter and some fresh mint though.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I also 'mash' with a potato ricer, probably the best piece of kitchen equipment I've ever bought.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    I also 'mash' with a potato ricer, probably the best piece of kitchen equipment I've ever bought.

Me too, one of those things you wonder how you did without.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I don't like mash that's too smooth like pomme puree.

You mean like they do it in France? Far too runny and sloppy for my taste, but I do like a smooth lumpless mash.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    I prefer a smooth mash - I love my ricer. I do love crushed new potatoes with lots of butter and some fresh mint though.
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Me too, one of those things you wonder how you did without.

I used to have one. Found it a bit of a tw*t to clean, especially if you didn't do it straight away. It did produce lovely mash though. Maybe it was just the one I had so I may invest in a really good one.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crushed with butter and herbs in the summer. Creamy, rich mash in the winter.
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, not done or had this.

I've just goggled it and it looks good, I will definitely try it.

Has to be with the cleaner potato types, not the really dirty once.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mashed+potatoes+with+skin&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Ct3XU4CaKIjA7AbM7YCIBA&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1360&bih=581

Thanks callmediva

you're most welcome ;-)

yes, use clean spuds :)
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,923
    Forum Member
    If mashing you’ve got to do it properly and go at it hammer and tongs, making a smooth mixture, and adding a good quantity of butter and milk/cream to finish.
    Forum Member
    I used to have one. Found it a bit of a tw*t to clean, especially if you didn't do it straight away. It did produce lovely mash though. Maybe it was just the one I had so I may invest in a really good one.

We have a simple stainless steel ricer, and I don't find it a pain to clean at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love jacket potato with the skin, but dislike crushed potato unless I roast it after with bit of rosemary.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baby potatoes par boiled then into a baking tray .
    Cover with OO, salt, pepper and paprika. Shake them around until covered all over.
    Pop in oven for 30/40 mins.
    Baked potato the same but in oven from scratch for however long - 60 mins plus.
    Mash I'll blitz as long as poss with hand blender.
    Best mash though is the baked potato flesh blitzed then back in skins and back in oven with cheese topping.
    Cream potato will be the mash above with creme fraiche, cream or milk and passed through a sieve - hard work but it's not cream potato otherwise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    If mashing you’ve got to do it properly and go at it hammer and tongs, making a smooth mixture, and adding a good quantity of butter and milk/cream to finish.

Or just use a ricer. No hammer and tongues required, in fact, no effort whatsoever really and it's always perfectly smooth. Definitely one of the best things I've bought.

Can't see how it'd be hard to clean. I've got an Andrew James one and it just needs a quick wipe with warm water.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

Mine's plastic, and is easy to clean. The ricing plate is held in place by a retaining cylinder that twists slightly then pops out. It came with two plates, one is a coarser diameter.
    The retaining cylinder lines the ricing chamber. There's only 3 parts to it.

I break down the ricer then stick the lot into the dishwasher.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Opinions on whether an item is easy to clean tend to fall into two categories:

1. Those who have a dishwasher
    2. Those who don't have a dishwasher.
    Forum Member

Very often true! But I don't find my ricer difficult to clean by hand.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like both, but probably prefer crushed if I'm not peeling them.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member

I don't have a dishwasher but my ricer is hardly difficult to clean.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't have a dishwasher either and mine's really easy to clean. It doesn't even come apart, it's just one piece but I've never had any issues.
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have a dishwasher but my ricer gets washed by hand. It's just too easy to do :D

Peeled potatoes - mashed
    Skin on - crushed

Don't you just love spuds. They are so versatile.