Options

Anyone Out There - Marian Keyes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,047
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone read the latest book by Marian Keyes ?, being the cheap skate that I am I waited for it to come out in paperback and glad I did.

I normally love all of Marian's books especially the ones that focus on one of the Walsh girls. This one focuses on Anna. But without giving too much away I found it disappointing and not up Marian's usual standard. Oh, and am I the only one that thinks it borrows heavily from another popular female irish author???

Comments

• Options
    SuperSpursSuperSpurs Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it (sorry!).

I have not read all the the Walsh sister books, but found this one to be laugh out loud funny in places, and really sad in others.

Not sure what other writer you mean, either.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I really liked it and thought it was a return to form by Marian Keyes. Sobbed myself silly at one particular point :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked it and thought it was a return to form by Marian Keyes. Sobbed myself silly at one particular point :o
    glad im not the only one :o

my hubby bought it for me on hardback when it first came out, knowing how much i love marian keyes. it certainly lived up to expectation! think we're just missing a book about helen walsh noy, or am i mistaken?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did enjoy it - but having read all her other books this book seemed far removed from the Anna character decribed in previous book. It did have some laugh out loud moments as well as some truly touching ones. But I didn't find it as entertaining as her books on any of the other sisters.

The author I refer to is Cecilia Ahern.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glad im not the only one :o

my hubby bought it for me on hardback when it first came out, knowing how much i love marian keyes. it certainly lived up to expectation! think we're just missing a book about helen walsh noy, or am i mistaken?

yup Helen Walsh. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it, and also cried ridiculous amounts. I liked that Anna grew up - it wasn't unexpected, it started back in Rachel's Holiday and seemed good character progression to me. Also loved that we got to revisit the other sisters - I'm hoping that after the Helen book that must be planned, Kate will be old enough for her own story! Can't imagine life without the Walsh sisters, I've lived with them for about 10 years...

Only read the Cecelia Aherne one recently, but the two seemed to handle the subject very differently. As you'd expect, one being a "known" death that gave the husband chance to help the wife deal with it, and the other being so unexpected taht she turns to mediums.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member

Me too :o I was so disappointed in Angels as Maggie was the one 'unknown' Walsh sister, really felt like Marian Keyes was just going through the motions. AOT was great, although wasn't so keen on the interludes with Helen.
  • Options
    GoldilocksGoldilocks Posts: 7,349
    Forum Member
    I love Marian's books and bought this as soon as it came out in hardback. I LOVED it, thought it and Rachel's Holiday were the best of the Walsh family so far. You just gotta love Mammy Walsh :D
  • Options
    GoldilocksGoldilocks Posts: 7,349
    Forum Member
    cutekookie wrote:
    I did enjoy it - but having read all her other books this book seemed far removed from the Anna character decribed in previous book. It did have some laugh out loud moments as well as some truly touching ones. But I didn't find it as entertaining as her books on any of the other sisters.

The author I refer to is Cecilia Ahern.
    Do you think she is any good :eek: To be fair I have only read PS I Love You but didn't think much of her ability to write. With Marian she has a huge amount of life experience and enormous talent and IMHO a far superior author.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goldilocks wrote:
    Do you think she is any good :eek: To be fair I have only read PS I Love You but didn't think much of her ability to write. With Marian she has a huge amount of life experience and enormous talent and IMHO a far superior author.

I don't actually - I find her subject matters not really to my taste. Marian is one of my favourite female authors and I agree with some of the other comments regarding Mammy Walsh - who I find very funny. I was disappointed with this book though, not enough to not finish reading it, I practically read it in two sittings- but it was just - hmmm, I dunno can't put my finger on it... :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im half way through it and LOVING it!!! I have never LOL so much with a book before!! I've read Rachels Holiday but really couldn't get into Angels or Watermelon, so i'm very glad this 1 has got me gripped!!

Can't wait for the one about Helen
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Its on my to read list next! I love the stories about the Walsh sisters, I thought Watermelon about Claire was really funny! I can't wait for Helen's story though!
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    jessca wrote:
    Me too :o I was so disappointed in Angels as Maggie was the one 'unknown' Walsh sister, really felt like Marian Keyes was just going through the motions. AOT was great, although wasn't so keen on the interludes with Helen.

I can't even really remember the plot of Angels, found it very uninspiring. Was I the only one who didn't see the 'reveal' half way through - those that have read it will know what I'm talking about, it completely blindsided me :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished Anybody out there, and i think it was brilliant. Marian really got it right with comedy and tradegy together. Brilliant characters.
  • Options
    SuperSpursSuperSpurs Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't even really remember the plot of Angels, found it very uninspiring. Was I the only one who didn't see the 'reveal' half way through - those that have read it will know what I'm talking about, it completely blindsided me :o

I didn't :o

Was just expecting it to be that
    he'd left her for another woman or something chick litty like that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperSpurs wrote:
    I didn't :o

Was just expecting it to be that
    he'd left her for another woman or something chick litty like that

Me too! Althoug hwhen my best friend borrowed it she said it was "obvious" so I felt stupid. Glad I'm not alone in not spotting it :o
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one- I normally see "twists" coming a mile off but really didn't see that coming and then felt a bit stupid. I finished it the other night and cried my eyes out while reading the final chapter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I used to go out with a Tony Walsh and keep expecting him to pop up in one of Marian Keyes' books. Wasn't Irish though, he was from Barnsley
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I'm half way through this book and it has taken till now for me to start realizing that Anna knows her husband's fate. I thought nobody had told her. It's all a bit slow for me and I hate stories that chop and change between the now and the past.
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never spotted the reveal, so it knocked me sideways. A friend was reading it at the same time, and one lunch time, after I'd got to the crunch part, she emailed to say how funny it was, and she was really enjoying it.
    I asked her what page she was on, and that was about 200 - she read about another 6 pages.
    She never saw it coming either.
    I thought it was an elaborate kidnap plot involving the ex girlfriend. Over active imagination, that's my problem. But the story in the book really took me my surprise.
    I loved it.