Options

How do you cook beef / steak so that it comes out really tender ?

13»

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    I'm not bothered about that as I won't be inviting any top chefs to dine with me. Each to their own I say.

Each to their own, but that thing about juices and grilling is absolute rubbish,
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what do you guys think of tenderising techniques such as mallets ? I also read that marinading it in various things will work too , coca cola was one ! does that really work ?
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    what do you guys think of tenderising techniques such as mallets ? I also read that marinading it in various things will work too , coca cola was one ! does that really work ?

If you follow the advice on this thread about choosing the correct cut of good quality steak and cooking it properly (don't grill it!;)), you really should not need to tenderise or marinate steak. I personally think it's sacrilege to bash the hell out of a beautiful bit of steak. Definitely stay away from the Coke (though ham that's been slow-cooked in Coke is fabulous)!
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just flash fry it
    I say Flash when I just mean high heat
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    If you follow the advice on this thread about choosing the correct cut of good quality steak and cooking it properly (don't grill it!;)), you really should not need to tenderise or marinate steak. I personally think it's sacrilege to bash the hell out of a beautiful bit of steak. Definitely stay away from the Coke (though ham that's been slow-cooked in Coke is fabulous)!

might try that .:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    might try that .:D

Nigella is your friend - it's delicious!

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/ham-in-coca-cola-171
  • Options
    hallchallc Posts: 200,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I let wor lass do it , she ,s an Aussie pretty good at steaks
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Jules said :cool:
    We had two ribeye steaks from Sainsbury last night - £6+ each.
    I cooked them on the griddle as described earlier.
    They were superb.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Grilling steak is a perfectly good way of cooking it and there's nothing wrong with releasing some of the juices if you want them. If you don't believe me Google is your friend and by the way lots of top chefs grill steak.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grilling steak is a perfectly good way of cooking it and there's nothing wrong with releasing some of the juices if you want them. If you don't believe me Google is your friend and by the way lots of top chefs grill steak.

Which top chefs? I would be interested to know
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Evil C, you can cook your steaks however you like, of course, but the advice you gave before is just plain wrong, and actually contradicts what you are now saying.
    If you fry the steak you'll lose all the juices you retain when you grill

You were right the second time. Grilling steaks does indeed release a lot of the juice, because the meat isn't sealed, resulting in a less juicy, less tender steak.

I've never seen a chef grilling a steak, although I have seen them seal the meat in a pan first and then finish it off in the oven, which is another method altogether.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Like who? I look forward to your links.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Heat the pan till it's smoking hot" - yes

Am I the only one who has to take the batteries out of the smoke alarm before embarking on anything like this? :D
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Heat the pan till it's smoking hot" - yes

Am I the only one who has to take the batteries out of the smoke alarm before embarking on anything like this? :D

Extractor fan on max, window wide open and tea towel ready to flap in the air.
    :cool:
  • Options
    norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,678
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Virgil, you need to learn the different cuts of meat for a start. Sirloin/Porterhouse is a good fry/grill steak but make sure it has a good strip of fat and the meat is 'marbled'. Rump steak can be fine but is better slow cooked, not great for rare or medium rare.

I disagree. Rump steak is excellent rare, as long as you make sure it's room temperature before you start cooking and you rest it afterwards. I prefer it to sirloin for flavour and always cook it rare.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy the best quality you can afford. A crap piece of steak will still be crap however you cook it. Take advice from a good butcher if there's one near you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree. Rump steak is excellent rare, as long as you make sure it's room temperature before you start cooking and you rest it afterwards. I prefer it to sirloin for flavour and always cook it rare.

I love rump steak and always have mine rare. I'd never slow cook a rump, what a waste! If the cut of meat is good, it's fine to have it rare.
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A fillet steak is the most tender, but not always the most flavoursome. Always cook the steak after it's been out of the fridge for a while. I oil the steak, not the pan, I season the steak well with salt and black pepper. I get the frying pan smoking hot and then put the steak in. Depending on thickness, I cook it for one minute each side, turning the heat down so it doesn't burn. The best steak is thick cut. I rest it on a warm plate for thee minutes, drool.

Rump steak is lovely, with a great flavour but should always be cooked the same way as above.
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    many thanks for all the replies .

what sort of oil should I use ? do some work better than others ?

Rare does = tender right ? thats always confused me about beef , the cooking terms - because 'rare' means less cooked , so it seems that would mean tougher .

If I cook braising steak I cook it with onions and beef stock for about four hours on 130 degrees fan oven.

It all depends on the cut of meat.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (though ham that's been slow-cooked in Coke is fabulous)!

Just digressing to say that I tried that, and wasn't impressed. I have also tried it with ginger beer. I thought both spoiled the flavour of the ham rather than enhancing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just digressing to say that I tried that, and wasn't impressed. I have also tried it with ginger beer. I thought both spoiled the flavour of the ham rather than enhancing it.

I find that the Coke taste isn't all that obvious - it just gives a slight spice/aromatic undertone to it - and I like the texture it gives to the ham. Have never heard of the ginger beer variation before. Sounds interesting!
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get the pan smoking hot, oil the steak.
    So, if the pan is smoking hot and doesn't have any oil in it, presumably it's the non-stick surface that is smoking? Or don't you use a non-stick pan?

I don't get the "seasoning" part, either. Why do you need to put salt on a steak? I tried it and it just made for a salty steak. Boiled potatoes need salt; not much else does in my experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    So, if the pan is smoking hot and doesn't have any oil in it, presumably it's the non-stick surface that is smoking? Or don't you use a non-stick pan?

I don't get the "seasoning" part, either. Why do you need to put salt on a steak? I tried it and it just made for a salty steak. Boiled potatoes need salt; not much else does in my experience.

Really? In my experience more or less everything (including a lot of desserts) benefits from salt.
  • Options
    DeanDSDeanDS Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I do that I don't think has been mentioned is I hold the steaks upright with the strip of fat on the grate for about 30secs. This renders the thick bit of fat a bit and also will reduce the the chances of the steak curling.

As has been said though, a decent steak, I look for nice thin lines of fat. I always cook over a charcoal BBQ now, even in winter! Make sure they are at room temperature, season just before putting on the BBQ, put over hot coals turn once.