Jacket Potatoes - How do you do yours?

TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
Forum Member
✭✭
My husband and I just had a childish fight over how we should bake jacket potatoes.

He's a huge fan of covering potatoes with olive oil and Maldon sea salt, and wrap each potato in foil. Put them in the oven (230C) for an hour and some minutes. Edit: Oh, and remove the foil and leave pots in for further ten minutes to crisp up the skin.

I'm a fan of just wetting potatoes under a tap and chuck them in the oven (190C or thereabouts) for two hours. My husband thinks my method is 'barbaric'. :rolleyes:

What's your favourite method for a jacket potato?

Comments

• venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do the same as you. I wash it, stab it with a fork and put it in the oven.

Putting them in the microwave is far worse though.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Prick them and put them in the oven

But then again I don't eat the skins
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    I do the olive oil and salt thing, but I don't bother covering it/them - depending on how big the spuds are.

Bung in the oven on a tray for 1hr 30 at gas 5 and then devour it with lashings of butter, black pepper, cheese and red onion.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just me that can't see the point of having a baked potato if you don't eat the skin? Why not just have a plain boiled potato? The finest part of a baked spud has got to be the skin IMO
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Depends on circumstances.

If i'm going to put time and effort into it I will preheat the oven. Run the spud in olive oil and sea salt then put it in the oven for 1 hour or so.

If I can't be arsed then I just shot a spud in the microwave combi on the Jacket Potato setting.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Is it just me that can't see the point of having a baked potato if you don't eat the skin? Why not just have a plain boiled potato? The finest part of a baked spud has got to be the skin IMO
    Totally. It's the best tasting part as well as the most nutritious AFAIK.

I remember the first time someone asked me if I eat the skin on a jacket spud and I gave them a confused look because I thought it was a truely odd question. Why wouldn't I? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I give them a quick start in the microwave then salt and oil and finish them in the oven.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member

I like the taste of potato that's been baked but I don't like the taste or texture of the skin
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microwave. It's a waste of gas to have the oven on that long just for potatoes (I'm on a PAYG meter with gas central heating and crap insulation so tend to think about sparing gas first before electric).
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I have no patience to cook jacket potatoes, which is a shame because I love them. I only have them when I eat out somewhere for lunch.

Oh and yes I eat the skin...defo the best part.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    As a child, we used to cook them outside in the embers of a bonfire. It was very exciting way to cook them.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had one earlier with a rib eye steak.
    Good squirt of OO in a soup bowl.
    Add a pinch of crushed black pepper.
    Add a pinch of rock salt.
    Add I pinch of paprika.
    Mix it well.
    Prick the spud with the point of a sharp knife.
    Roll the spud in the mixture until fully coated.
    If you can get your hands messy massage it well.
    If not brush it all over several times.
    Place spud on baking tray and pour residue over it, ensuring the remaining S&P residue is poured over top.
    Bake minimum 1 hour at 180/200.
    Insert knife to test flesh.

Skin like crunchy crackling, fluffy inside.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Blast in microwave for 5-10 minutes depending on size and number (almost totally cooked)
    Into very hot oven with oil and salt to crisp up skin
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Microwave. It's a waste of gas to have the oven on that long just for potatoes (I'm on a PAYG meter with gas central heating and crap insulation so tend to think about sparing gas first before electric).

But if you eat the skin then the microwave isn't an alternative at all.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prick them and put them in the oven either highish temp for an hour or lower for a couple of hours. Never fails. Adding oil etc for me makes something else entirely it isn't a baked potato !
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stick them in a microwave on HALF power, very important as it gives a better more even cook, rub salt and butter into skin and then oven cook until crisped to taste. Perfect every single time, without fail. No need for all that waiting over an hour nonsense, or pricking them, and chuck the olive oil in the bin, it's yucksome :D
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't tend to wait I shove a potato in the oven then go for a walk or do something else, not sitting by the oven waiting for it LOL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I turn the oven on full blast and while waiting for it to heat up I zap them. When they're done in microwave, I put a little oil in their bowl and shake to coat them, sprinkle with a little salt and put in oven till crispy. Perfect baked tatties in under 20mins.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    When it comes to cooking and eating a snack which is all a jacket potato usually is then I am too impatient to wait for them to cook in the oven. Microwave all the way as any seasoning can be done afterwards.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Rub pots with olive oil, black pepper, salt, put into a bowl and chuck in some freshly chopped rosemary over the top.
    Cover with cling film and microwave for around 10-15 mins.
    Put into hot oven to crisp up skins for around 10 mins.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if you eat the skin then the microwave isn't an alternative at all.
    Why not? It's what I do. I rarely spend more than 12 minutes cooking any meal.
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    I simply wash, prick and put in the oven for 1 - 1/2 hours depending on the size.

Sometimes for a special treat once cooked I cut in half and scoop out the potato, add grated cheese, an egg and seasoning then mash together, reload back into the skins and cook for 20 mins - delicious :)
  • pink star 28pink star 28 Posts: 1,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prick mine a couple of times, wrap in foil, put in oven for an hour and 45 mins. Then I cut in half add salt, pepper and loads of butter, mash it all in then add grated cheese and half a tin of beans:)
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prick with fork, smother is good quality olive oil and sea salt, 90 minutes in the oven turning once.

Once I started doing them this way I'd never do it differently. Nor would I ever pay for a jacket spud ever again (mine you can reheat the next day and they taste just as good)

Also I eat the skin when I do them my way, I wont eat the skin unless it is cooked this way!!
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stick them in the oven, after putting on olive oil and seasoning them as I eat the skin as well