Marvel's The Avengers (26/04/2012)

Comments

• Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I know its in the IMDB Trivia on Avengers Assemble that there's half an hour of extra scenes to go on the DVD, that's the only place I've sen it!

I found a source for this, though it's not where i read about it initally, but it's straight from the horses mouth, so to speak:

On how many minutes of Deleted Scenes there will be on the DVD:

“At least 30. My first assembley was three hours long. It’s some character stuff that was more ancillary. Marvel never wanted to take the texture out and the little moments between the people. We wanted obviously to streamline it and obviously not to make it so long that it became self-indulgent which at that length it was, but they wanted it to focus on the Avengers more than anything else. But the thing I loved was that there was so many little moments which I hope they’re going to ease out.”

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/movies/joss-whedon-talks-the-avengers-deleted-scenes-a-sequel-and-more/9497
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Holy shit. The Avengers just earned $200 million in its opening weekend in the states, so $31 million more than Harry Potter. Totally smashed the record. It's now sitting at $650 million worldwide after just over a week!! Amazing.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaulM1983 wrote: »
    Holy shit. The Avengers just earned $200 million in its opening weekend in the states, so $31 million more than Harry Potter. Totally smashed the record. It's now sitting at $650 million worldwide after just over a week!! Amazing.

I predicted that this was going to be the highest grossing film of 2012 & although it was a stab in the dark type of guess, it seems as if I might be proved right.
    Forum Member
    Well it certainly looks like it's in with a shot, but I wouldn't count The Dark Knight Rises out just yet though.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    PaulM1983 wrote: »
    Holy shit. The Avengers just earned $200 million in its opening weekend in the states
    That's an estimated $200m. The actual figures are usually in on Monday, but it won't be far off.

Will have certainly beaten Potter.
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall saying in a thread last year that The Avengers would beat The Dark Knight Rises at the box office and some thought I was mad. TDKR will do very well but this has the biggest gross of the year written all over it. The $200 million opening weekend is staggering, but justified.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    I recall saying in a thread last year that The Avengers would beat The Dark Knight Rises at the box office and some thought I was mad. TDKR will do very well but this has the biggest gross of the year written all over it. The $200 million opening weekend is staggering, but justified.

I was reading the first few pages of this thread this morning, and it's funny looking back how negative people were about the films prospects, one person even hinting it wouldn't make back the money it cost to make....:o
  • NarutoFan100NarutoFan100 Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen the film.
    My Thoughts:
    I thought it was an amazing film for so many different reason! The total idea of superheroes combining is so fresh and great - I loved all of them. The action was great, loved Iron Man vs Thor, Thor vs Hulk and Avengers vs Evil, great graphics and there wasn't a moment when I was bored.

There were so many funny moments, but the writers made sure to make them unique and not cliched and original. Amazing writing.

The only negative I have is sometimes I couldn't comprehend what was said. This may just be me, but some dialogue was hard to catch. Like, could someone tell me what Loki said to Black Widow when she was fake crying for her to realise it centred around Hulk?

Epic movie! 9.5/10

Order of favourites:
    Thor - Loved him lots!!!
    Iron Man - Originally funny
    Hawkeye - Maybe a dark horse, but awesome!
    Black Widow - Amazing
    Hulk
    Captain America
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen the film.
    My Thoughts:
    I thought it was an amazing film for so many different reason! The total idea of superheroes combining is so fresh and great - I loved all of them. The action was great, loved Iron Man vs Thor, Thor vs Hulk and Avengers vs Evil, great graphics and there wasn't a moment when I was bored.

There were so many funny moments, but the writers made sure to make them unique and not cliched and original. Amazing writing.

The only negative I have is sometimes I couldn't comprehend what was said. This may just be me, but some dialogue was hard to catch. Like, could someone tell me what Loki said to Black Widow when she was fake crying for her to realise it centred around Hulk?

Epic movie! 9.5/10

Order of favourites:
    Thor - Loved him lots!!!
    Iron Man - Originally funny
    Hawkeye - Maybe a dark horse, but awesome!
    Black Widow - Amazing
    Hulk
    Captain America
    Natasha was saying she had "red in her ledger", as she owed Barton a debt because he spared her and brought her into SHIELD.

Loki said her ledger was overflowing with red (as in blood not debt), due to all the horrible things she did before SHIELD.

He then told her that he was going to get Barton to kill her in the most intimate way possible, and wake him up from his mind control just at the last minute so he could see what he did to her and see her die.

She turned around and fake-cried, saying "you're a monster!"

Loki then said "No, you've brought the monster here <evil laugh>!".

Natasha realised from this that Loki was going to use Hulk in some way.

As for writers...

Zak Penn (The Incredible Hulk, 2008) wrote the original story.

Joss Whedon (director of The Avengers) then re-wrote the story, and wrote the actual screenplay.
  • NarutoFan100NarutoFan100 Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Natasha was saying she had "red in her ledger", as she owed Barton a debt because he spared her and brought her into SHIELD.

Loki said her ledger was overflowing with red (as in blood not debt), due to all the horrible things she did before SHIELD.

He then told her that he was going to get Barton to kill her in the most intimate way possible, and wake him up from his mind control just at the last minute so he could see what he did to her and see her die.

She turned around and fake-cried, saying "you're a monster!"

Loki then said "No, you've brought the monster here <evil laugh>!".

Natasha realised from this that Loki was going to use Hulk in some way.

As for writers...

Zak Penn (The Incredible Hulk, 2008) wrote the original story.

Joss Whedon (director of The Avengers) then re-wrote the story, and wrote the actual screenplay.

Thanks a lot :) I knew it was something along those lines :)

I have so many favourite moments, its hillarious!

Definitely in my top five movies of all time, with The Hunger Games! :)
    Forum Member
    Actually, thinking about it, there's no way on Earth that TDKR can beat this figure. It doesn't have the added premium of higher 3D ticket prices.

Will be very interesting to see how the actual attendance figures compare though.

That aside, I'm totally stoked for Whedon & Co. The film was fantastic.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I think TDKR can beat this ... This trilogy has been going for 7 years, and I think it will top TDK so thats why I think it will beat the Avengers.

Im shocked its taken in £200m in the US in two days ... Im delighted for it, well deserved.

Lets not count out The Hobbit for taking in the most mulah this year!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Im shocked its taken in £200m in the US in two days ... Im delighted for it, well deserved.

3 days :p

As big as TDK was back in 2008, i think it will have it's work cut out for it to beat this stunning $200 million US opening weekend. TDK opened to $158 million, but lets not forget that it also had the Heath Ledger/Joker buzz about it, which regardless of what some people may claim, definitely had an impact on bolstering it's box office takings. Plus, The Avengers has more of a family appeal to it, whereas BB, TDK and TDKR are a lot darker, and the film also wont have the 3D premium to inflate it's takings, all of which may prevent it from opening as big as The Avengers in terms of box office takings (although TDK got to that figure in 2D four years ago, so who knows, we could be in for another surprise come July, i don't think even Disney expected The Avengers to open as big as it has!). I still think that TDKR will obviously be massive, and i think it will definitely beat TDK and possibly/hopefully even Harry Potter 8's opening weekends, but i somehow doubt it will top $200 million.
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    3 days :p

As big as TDK was back in 2008, i think it will have it's work cut out for it to beat this stunning $200 million US opening weekend. TDK opened to $158 million, but lets not forget that it also had the Heath Ledger/Joker buzz about it, which regardless of what some people may claim, definitely had an impact on bolstering it's box office takings. Plus, The Avengers has more of a family appeal to it, whereas BB, TDK and TDKR are a lot darker, and the film also wont have the 3D premium to inflate it's takings, all of which may prevent it from opening as big as The Avengers in terms of box office takings (although TDK got to that figure in 2D four years ago, so who knows, we could be in for another surprise come July, i don't think even Disney expected The Avengers to open as big as it has!). I still think that TDKR will obviously be massive, and i think it will definitely beat TDK and possibly/hopefully even Harry Potter 8's opening weekends, but i somehow doubt it will top $200 million.

£200m on Friday and Saturday surely ?? Or was there screenings on Thursday? They won't have todays figures yet. or is that an estimation?

The rest are fair points, but its a wait and see game now. I'll put my money on that TDKR will beat The Avengers. I think the hype will be bigger and I think The Avengers is too fresh in our minds and clouding judgement. But as I said, we'll wait and see!
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think TDKR will be *big*, but I really don't see it beating this.
  • floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    Avatar 2 might but that's quite a few years away from being released.
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the dark knight made a billion and i suspect the dark knight rises will make the same. but then i suspect the avengers will also make a billion as well
  • DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Avengers will have the 3D edge over The Dark Knight Rises. I actually think it'll be close, but The Avengers will edge it. Which means The Hunger Games will be pushed down to 3rd *sadface*
  • highnalhighnal Posts: 2,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but then i suspect the avengers will also make a billion as well

After making over $640m worldwide in just under 2 weeks, it'll cruise past 1 billion. Also gives it a great chance to pass Transformers 3 (1.12bil) as the 4th biggest grossing film of all time.
  • My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to see this film feeling quite sceptical, but came away loving it. As one of the few token females in this thread: RDJ, hubba hubba! :D

I would love to see other super heroes added to the mix, eg Spidey and the X Men but I know that there are loads of legal studio wrangles. And another thing, I know it's an extreme long shot but if the studios sort themselves out, the Fantastic Four could also be involved. Where would that leave Chris Evans? I'm guessing he'd have to choose which character he likes the most!

I actually found this film v. funny, lots of good one liners.
    "I am a God, you dull creature, I will NOT be bullied!" *Hulk smashes*

"Loki is my brother."
    "He's killed 80 people in two days."
    "He was adopted."

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    £200m on Friday and Saturday surely ?? Or was there screenings on Thursday? They won't have todays figures yet. or is that an estimation?

Yeah, they're just estimating the amount it's likely to make on Sunday after taking into account the Friday and Saturday grosses. It made $80.5 million on the Friday including midnight screenings and then $69.7 million on Saturday (which is a record breaking number for a Saturday). They're currently estimating that it'll earn $50.1 million today, although it could potentially go higher considering that they've been underestimating it all weekend.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any talk about a new Hulk film? Just curious, firstly to see if Mark Ruffalo could make a successful Hulk film, and secondly after watching The Incredible Hulk again I just remembered they have set up the Super Villain "The Leader" to rise and so wondered if they had any plans about it?
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from seeing it!

My thoughts:
    The story was fantastic, and I think Loki made a great villain, even if it seemed at times he didn't really know what the heck he was doing it for in the first place. I loved that they made Hawkeye corrupted by the staff, and for the first hour of the movie, he was 'dark'. The fight scenes were outstanding, and I especially loved the Thor vs Iron Man scene in the forest. It was a damn shame that they killed Agent Coulson, but as he himself said, it was necessary so that the Avengers would form.

Some of my favourite bits:

The friendship between Bruce and Tony was a very nice touch, and me and the whole of the theatre couldn't stop laughing when Tony poked Bruce with the electric thing, trying to get him to turn into the Hulk.

Hawkeye and Black Widow were among the highlights of this movie for me. Despite not having super powers, they were equally holding their ground in the big battle, and were enjoyable to watch. (Hawkeye is my favourite Marvel hero anyway!)

The comment Thor made when Natasha told him that Loki had killed 80 people in two days. ''He's adopted.'' Made me laugh so hard!

Thor and Hulk's rivalry was interesting to watch, and I loved when they both took down that massive monster, and Hulk just randomly punched Thor away LOL!

Bruce Banner/The Hulk were amazing! I wasn't very happy when Edward Norton didn't get cast in The Avengers, but Mark Ruffalo was superb, and I'm really glad that he was cast to play Bruce. Another scene I loved was with Hulk and Loki. He just swung him around like a ragdoll!

Overall, I absolutely loved this movie. I'm a big Marvel fan, and I was not let down one bit by this movie. The story, actors and the effort put into it made it a massive hit in my books. I'm excited for The Avengers 2, and I really want to see Ant-Man and The Wasp in it, because they are fantastic in their own ways. :)

I give it a solid 10/10. Can't wait to go see it again!
    Forum Member
    Is there any talk about a new Hulk film? Just curious, firstly to see if Mark Ruffalo could make a successful Hulk film, and secondly after watching The Incredible Hulk again I just remembered they have set up the Super Villain "The Leader" to rise and so wondered if they had any plans about it?

I seen something somewhere that Ruffalo has signed onto 6 films ... The first been Avengers Assemble, and the rest they think will be another two Avengers, his own Hulk fims and two cameos, e.g. in Iron Man 3, Capt 2, Thor 2 etc ..

It was in an article that IMDB pushed to my phone so I don't know where that article actually was!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    I went to see this tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it! IThere were a couple of things that I would have liked to have seen, but they're very minor grumbles.
    I thought they might introduce Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne in some way, but they didn't.

Also, Thor calls Earth 'Earth' and not 'Midguard' at one point, not a massive complaint but a little touch missed.

Thought Ruffalo was superb as Banner and much better than Ed Norton. He just seems to suit the role better.

Thought the comedy was well placed and not forced, absolutely loved the Loki/Hulk beatdown.

Also loved the "I'm always angry" reveal, think that really worked well.

Cannot wait to see how they play Thanos in the next film, I don't know a lot about Thanos but I do know he's a major badass and it'd be good to see where they go with him.