Options

EE: My last bit of sympathy for Linda Carter has been buried along with Jim and Stan.

Comments

• Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    I'm a Matt Di Angelo fan but even I find this thread distasteful (and that's a mild choice of words!)

He looked dreadful tonight - awful haircut and dodgy beard. His looks are seriously on the wane ;-)
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has not got sympathy for Dean, she was just trying to get him to face up to his actions and take responsibility. It is the only way she can move forward and get some closure. It would take a great deal of courage to do that and so she deserves every sympathy. Even though she is the victim she is handling it a lot better Than Mick who really is the one who has gone to pieces.

Hear, hear. I completely agree.
    Firegazer wrote: »
    I agree. I'm a little disgusted that DTC is trying to make us feel sorry for him with this prison storyline.

Not working with me. Couldn't give a monkey's.
    I think the last 2 eps have shown how horrible he is tbf. However it has shown how important it is to report rape immediately.

Agreed.

Every time I see Dean's smug face with his doting (ha!) parents on either side I want to slap all three of them daft.

What happened to the dress and knickers that Linda was wearing when he raped her? I remember them pushed into the back of the wardrobe, did she get rid or are they still there? I know they won't help her case now as it could still be seen as consensual was just wondering.
    boddism wrote: »
    I'm a Matt Di Angelo fan but even I find this thread distasteful (and that's a mild choice of words!)
    Linda is a VICTIM and is trying to muddle through her feelings and the grief of losing a family member, losing her rape case & watching her family implode. She's TRYING to find some peace with what happened to her. Why shouldn't she seek a confession from her attacker??
    Honestly this thread is s sick joke!

Again, well said.

Amazing how people (well the OP and four others according the poll so far) can turn on the VICTIM. Thankfully many more still have sympathy, don't know how you couldn't TBH.
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Yes me too.

She needs some form of (god i hate this word) closure and since she won't get it from the courts, getting it from Dean himself is her only option. She knew he would never admit anything with witnesses there.

I hate that word too but it is totally appropriate in this case. Linda needs to hear him say it, it's about the only things she's got left now the CPS aren't prosecuting.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    - Turns up at the home of her rapist after he's been let off for her rape. That looks good.
    - Insists to be left alone with her rapist.
    - Having sympathy for him and empathising with him.

Mick cares more than she does. Do you still care about Linda?

Why would these things make you lose sympathy for a rape victim :confused: The bib is particularly disturbing because it could be read that the rape is undermined in some way by Linda :confused::(
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I still have sympathy but this story needs putting to bed. I really thought EE screwed up when Little Mo got raped in the Vic but that was nothing compared to how contrived and repetitive this story has been.
  • Options
    _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread doesn't even make any sense, why would any of those things you listed make you lose sympathy for a victim of rape :confused: I know it may be fashionable to berate the Carter's now, but at least try and make it logical when you do so...
  • Options
    AncalagonAncalagon Posts: 2,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More Carter hate from the OP I see.

No I have not lost sympathy for Linda, she has been excellent throughout this storyline!
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with what you say but why be so annoyed with what I wished. that was just my opinion..

I never said I was annoyed.

People keep saying theyre looking forward to Dean leaving but a quick peek at Matt's Twitter will inform you that hes not going anywhere any time soon.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    He looked dreadful tonight - awful haircut and dodgy beard. His looks are seriously on the wane ;-)

Have to say - I agree!! (about the beard for sure, not the last bit!):D:D

The beard will be shorn off one day (please God- let it be soon!):D:D so he will regain some of those good looks once more :D:D:cool:
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonight was horrible, the impression I got was "if you admit you were a naughty boy we'll say no more about it so my husband doesn't get upset on my behalf".

What does that tell us, girls? Your experience means NOTHING.
    Let's care about Dean and his delusion
    Lets care about Mick and his reaction
    What about Linda and what we saw happen on screen?

I think it was a good move to acknowledge that rapes do not get prosecuted due to lack of evidence and one word against another. But this was appalling. I think I'm done.
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    If they wanted Dean to stay on the show so badly then they shouldn't have had him rape his sister in law. It's that basic.

To answer the OP, no, I haven't lost any sympathy with Linda but I've lost my patience with the storyline. Well, more the aftermath being about the Mick/Dean/Shirley mess than the actual victim .

I agree with the poster who said they prefer Linda away from Mick, I can't stand him right now.
  • Options
    billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is acting this really well, and Dean makes my stomach lurch, really want him gone.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Tonight was horrible, the impression I got was "if you admit you were a naughty boy we'll say no more about it so my husband doesn't get upset on my behalf".

I think it was a good move to acknowledge that rapes do not get prosecuted due to lack of evidence and one word against another. But this was appalling. I think I'm done.

Perfect post.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    For all those that have jumped on me for having a different opinion to yours let me make myself a bit clearer.

I have not lost sympathy for what happened to Linda Carter by any means - believe me. What I mean is - at some point we are all going to stop caring for this storyline and yesterday was my absolute limit.

There is a thin line between bravery and stupidity and I think Linda crossed that line last night. Dean is a dangerous monster and no matter how much EastEnders try to make me feel sorry for him - I will not, so having her knowingly walk into the lion's den was an absolute nono for me. Especially seeing as a lot of her neighbours feel the rape was actually an affair - yes even her "best friend". To be honest I don't blame Ian, Sharon or Jane for thinking Linda is a liar, because she isn't trying hard enough to prove otherwise.

For all the people who think EastEnders have done so well in bringing this real-life issue to the forefront, I put this to you; There are thousands of people whose rapists walk free on a regular basis, do you advise that they go knocking on their rapist's doors attempting to make peace?

My problem with this storyline is that because EastEnders have chosen to portray what happens if you don't report rape they seem to have forgotten the many people who are still in Linda's shoes. Is she still a role model for these people. Are we advising that the public don red capes and go and seek out their attackers?

Hypothetical: Dean is clearly demented. What if Mick hadn't arrived and Dean knocked back a couple more whiskeys. Let's say Dean didn't confess like Linda thought he would and instead raped her again. How would we feel about Linda then? Brave? Strong? Every woman? No - stupid.

Rape is not a petty crime. Linda didn't go round there to ask him to admit that he stole a tenner out of her purse. She walked into the home of a lunatic.

A RAPIST and an attempted MASS MURDERER. Should we also forget that he almost nearly burned the whole Carter family to death. Not to mention his dying grandfather whom he "loved so much" or a newborn baby and her mother who he now lives with.

There is a soap villain and then there's Dean. You have all these people so up in arms about Bobby being a killer when there is a monster who knows he is a monster gleefully showing no remorse and no willingness to repent.
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I'm still waiting for this comeuppance he's supposed to be getting but I'm becoming very impatient. I wish they'd just kill Dean off. Horrible little scrote, hiding from Mick behind his parents.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    When they were in the room together, I thought that was going to be the scene where she records his confession on her on her mobile etc?

So I was disappointed when Mick burst in....

So have I got it wrong, and she doesn't record the conversation.......

Although if that isn't a spoiler and just a rumour, how else is she ever going to get over this?

Also because i think it's obvious that Dean won't be leaving the square, meaning I think the producers are looking to redeem him enough in order for that to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For all those that have jumped on me for having a different opinion to yours let me make myself a bit clearer.

I have not lost sympathy for what happened to Linda Carter by any means - believe me. What I mean is - at some point we are all going to stop caring for this storyline and yesterday was my absolute limit.

There is a thin line between bravery and stupidity and I think Linda crossed that line last night. Dean is a dangerous monster and no matter how much EastEnders try to make me feel sorry for him - I will not, so having her knowingly walk into the lion's den was an absolute nono for me. Especially seeing as a lot of her neighbours feel the rape was actually an affair - yes even her "best friend". To be honest I don't blame Ian, Sharon or Jane for thinking Linda is a liar, because she isn't trying hard enough to prove otherwise.

For all the people who think EastEnders have done so well in bringing this real-life issue to the forefront, I put this to you; There are thousands of people whose rapists walk free on a regular basis, do you advise that they go knocking on their rapist's doors attempting to make peace?

My problem with this storyline is that because EastEnders have chosen to portray what happens if you don't report rape they seem to have forgotten the many people who are still in Linda's shoes. Is she still a role model for these people. Are we advising that the public don red capes and go and seek out their attackers?

Hypothetical: Dean is clearly demented. What if Mick hadn't arrived and Dean knocked back a couple more whiskeys. Let's say Dean didn't confess like Linda thought he would and instead raped her again. How would we feel about Linda then? Brave? Strong? Every woman? No - stupid.

Rape is not a petty crime. Linda didn't go round there to ask him to admit that he stole a tenner out of her purse. She walked into the home of a lunatic.

A RAPIST and an attempted MASS MURDERER. Should we also forget that he almost nearly burned the whole Carter family to death. Not to mention his dying grandfather whom he "loved so much" or a newborn baby and her mother who he now lives with.

There is a soap villain and then there's Dean. You have all these people so up in arms about Bobby being a killer when there is a monster who knows he is a monster gleefully showing no remorse and no willingness to repent.

I agree with a lot of your post, but not about him being a mass murderer, because it actually didn't happen, so whatever he tried to attempt, at the end of the day, noone was mass murdered, and he didn't become a mass murderer either.

I don't think he's a monster, because I don't think they're painting him as a serial rapist and a sex offender.

More to do with the fact that he has some deep rooted issues to do with women I think.
    Did you notice he didn't like it when Linda commented to him that she knows he has a heart etc? He didn't like that did he....

Also if this was a real life situation, the fact that Linda went there of her own free will, and something awful happened, like he attacked her again....not just she wouldn't be believed by the police this time round, but as far as the police were concerned it would throw the first rape into complete doubt as well!

I'm also looking forward to seeing "closure" on this storyline. Not sure where else they can take it now, apart from Dean being the Dad.
    They've already had Mick taking Dean off somewhere, and then they had a further set to in the pub, so that's all been done, and any more vigilante stuff is just going to be a repeat of whats already happened.

Though I thought his acting was spot on last night. Even without him saying anything, his eyes spoke volumes, and that could have been a golden scene in soap terms without the interference of Mick Carter!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cas1977 wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of your post, but not about him being a mass murderer, because it actually didn't happen, so whatever he tried to attempt, at the end of the day, noone was mass murdered, and he didn't become a mass murderer either.

I don't think he's a monster, because I don't think they're painting him as a serial rapist and a sex offender.

More to do with the fact that he has some deep rooted issues to do with women I think.
    Did you notice he didn't like it when Linda commented to him that she knows he has a heart etc? He didn't like that did he....

Also if this was a real life situation, the fact that Linda went there of her own free will, and something awful happened, like he attacked her again....not just she wouldn't be believed by the police this time round, but as far as the police were concerned it would throw the first rape into complete doubt as well!

I'm also looking forward to seeing "closure" on this storyline. Not sure where else they can take it now, apart from Dean being the Dad.
    They've already had Mick taking Dean off somewhere, and then they had a further set to in the pub, so that's all been done, and any more vigilante stuff is just going to be a repeat of whats already happened.

Though I thought his acting was spot on last night. Even without him saying anything, his eyes spoke volumes, and that could have been a golden scene in soap terms without the interference of Mick Carter!
    Sorry Geekinfected, I didn't realize until after I posted my reply to you that you had in fact put "attempted" before mass murderer! :blush:
  • Options
    wotnotwotnot Posts: 9,565
    Forum Member
    - Turns up at the home of her rapist after he's been let off for her rape. That looks good.
    - Insists to be left alone with her rapist.
    - Having sympathy for him and empathising with him.

Mick cares more than she does. Do you still care about Linda?

I've never liked or cared about Linda regardless of the storyline but in this particular case the entire storyline has been so very badly handled that I imagine real life victims would be shouting at the telly.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Though what do you expect to happen now, if you don't agree with Linda trying to get some "closure" on her experience?

Isn't it better to come to terms with it? And to move on with her life. She shouldn't be expected to have to carry that cross all her life y'know!

And if the police won't press charges against him, then apart from him confessing which will at least give her a modicum of satisfaction to hear him confess, I can't see what else she or anyone else in that situation could do?
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    I agree GI. I haven't lost sympathy for victims of rape but I have lost interest in the story, there is just no progression and although I see what DTC was aiming for with it, I don't think he has got it quite right.

In all honesty, It was a damned silly thing to have her confronting Dean alone, she may want closure but what sort of message does that send out? They seriously misjudged that.

Shirley needs to find out the truth, support Linda, get Dean help (his exit) and therefore begin to heal the family rift and put Dean's part to bed, but with Matt still filming - I think we may have several more months of this to come.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was more peed off with the 444th Linda eyes up Dean in the Vic scene. How many more times will they do this? I get Deja Vu every evening!
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »

!

I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The_abbott wrote: »
    I was more peed off with the 444th Linda eyes up Dean in the Vic scene. How many more times will they do this? I get Deja Vu every evening!

It will be up to the 999th + time, come the end of the story.:o
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with most posters here, I certainly haven't lost any sympathy for Linda. But I lost interest in this story a long time ago, and it's still going in circles. I wasn't impressed when they decided to sensationalise this issue by having the rape 'revealed' on Christmas Day; but now this story really is taking the Mick (no pun). We are still in EXACTLY the same position as we were four months ago: Dean is denying it, Shirley is defending him, Mick wants Dean to leave; ad infinitum.

This story needs to end, now. It is suffocating the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bass55 wrote: »
    Agree with most posters here, I certainly haven't lost any sympathy for Linda. But I lost interest in this story a long time ago, and it's still going in circles. I wasn't impressed when they decided to sensationalise this issue by having the rape 'revealed' on Christmas Day; but now this story really is taking the Mick (no pun). We are still in EXACTLY the same position as we were four months ago: Dean is denying it, Shirley is defending him, Mick wants Dean to leave; ad infinitum.

Good post, agreed.