✭✭✭
According to Rod Stewart.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23935217

I'm guessing Rod's number one.

Comments

• mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    strangely, i never liked him, i dont rate him, i dont understand his popularity or i think hes more popular then id have thought he deserves..

obviously on this i appear to be at odds with the general concesus of opinion.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough, I find it hard to think of him as rock. Most of his stuff is ballads, surely? Very MOR, which is why the Brits love him so much and keep giving him what appears to be the same award.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's hardly all ballads.

I'm no fan and there's probably countless upbeat album tracks around but I can come up with "Tiny Dancer, "Bennie And The Jets", "Don't Go Breaking My Heart", "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues", "I'm Still Standing", "Crocodile Rock", "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" and "The Bitch Is Back".

As I say I'm sure there's another couple of dozen out there.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On hearing Rod say this, Elton slumped off in a huff to the beach. Where he injured a fisherman by throwing a stone at him.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    strangely, i never liked him, i dont rate him, i dont understand his popularity or i think hes more popular then id have thought he deserves..

obviously on this i appear to be at odds with the general concesus of opinion.

it's not strange. Those who dislike him are in the vast majority, just as they are with every artist...people always forget this;)

his popularity is a long running mystery surpassed only by Madonna's
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Neither are my favourite however when it comes down to it, discography vs discography Elton wins hands down.
  • Fizzee RascalFizzee Rascal Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rock singer? As if.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    it's not strange. Those who dislike him are in the vast majority, just as they are with every artist...people always forget this;)

Agree with all of this post. In fact, if only you rated Lana Del Rey and didn't rate Cher Lloyd I feel we could be best online buddies. But alas...:D
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member

How is it a mystery? Elton John broke out in the music world when the popularity of singer/songwriters and his style of music were huge on the charts. He performed in the extravagant, comical costumes, had the big stage show, and is a naturally gifted and talented performer. Anyone who says that he isn't rock and roll is delusional. His body of work is incredible. He’s one of the most recognisable and unique artists of the last 50 years. A lot of men are probably worried that people will assume they're gay if they put on his music.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    How is it a mystery? Elton John broke out in the music world when the popularity of singer/songwriters and his style of music were huge on the charts. He performed in the extravagant, comical costumes, had the big stage show, and is a naturally gifted and talented performer. Anyone who says that he isn't rock and roll is delusional. His body of work is incredible. He’s one of the most recognisable and unique artists of the last 50 years. A lot of men are probably worried that people will assume they're gay if they put on his music.

I doubt that's the case. There are a lot of male fans of Queen, R.E.M, Judas Priest etc

Agree with the rest of your post though :)
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elton sounds ok on studio albums but live he's awful.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's more or less what you get nowadays sadly

I still wish to see Elton though, he's been an idol for mine as long as I can remember. He's not completely devoid of shining occasionally though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3tOa6CXv1I
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now he is; go back in the 70s and 80s before his throat operation and i'll think you'll find it was a lot different.

For me Elton John is one of the greatest song writers of the 20th century, surpassed only Lennon and McCartney. A classically trained piano virtuoso, his earlier albums are just wonderful in their richness and musical proficiency. His move into more accessible style of music with Goodbye Yellow Brick Road made him the most popular music artist of his period; which is just stunning when you think about it. Post 1976 the inventiveness dies but he is still able to come out with classic pop songs at regular intervals.

I don't know about top rock singer though, I think that kind of award should go to someone like Freddie Mercury or Bruce Springsteen.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's written a few great songs. But when you consider the volume of work he's produced over decades much of it is plain mediocre. He's a decent pianist but is a really average pop singer. Not rock. Plenty of Britisih vocalists in the '70s (Elton's best period) were much better especially this guy.who was around the same time
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think his talent lies in his showmanship and piano playing rather than his singing, and the lyrical quality of his songs took a nose-dive after he parted company with Bernie Taupin, but he seems to be getting it back ( I don't know if he's teamed up with another songwriting talent) " This Train Don't Stop Here Anymore" is one of the most moving, well written songs of the last 20 years, imo.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lets face it...rod the mod was talking bollocks...
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lets face it...rod the mod was talking bollocks...

'e was 'avin a larf....good on 'im ;)
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Agree with all of this post. In fact, if only you rated Lana Del Rey and didn't rate Cher Lloyd I feel we could be best online buddies. But alas...:D

:D

Cher's my special little popstar - everyone needs one:cool:
  • mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's hardly all ballads.

I'm no fan and there's probably countless upbeat album tracks around but I can come up with "Tiny Dancer, "Bennie And The Jets", "Don't Go Breaking My Heart", "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues", "I'm Still Standing", "Crocodile Rock", "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" and "The Bitch Is Back".

Upbeat songs yes, rock songs no. He can sing, or at least could before but Elton is no rock singer.
    Has Rod forgotten what rock is? :o
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As with any accolade, many will agree, many won't but his legacy in music history is indisputable. His live vocal work may be dodgy now but back in the day his voice was unique, effective and versatile...
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    You've gotta be joking. I always thought of Elton John was a fairly mediocre MOR singer. All the songs of his I've heard are rather average MOR fare. BTW I'm not a fan.
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like Elton because some of his songs have good lyrics but he is not a singer so no ..

Some of his songs have been very good like Your Song and Benny And The Jets but my fav song by him is this one

[URL=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufbexgPyeJQ[/URL]
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baz O wrote: »
    I do like Elton because some of his songs have good lyrics but he is not a singer so no ..

Some of his songs have been very good like Your Song and Benny And The Jets but my fav song by him is this one

[URL=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufbexgPyeJQ[/URL]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S-jdXJ0H4w

I mean you don't need to be a fan, but really?
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's hardly all ballads.

I didn't say "all". I said "most". Learn to read.

Upbeat doesn't mean rock. I'd hardly say Tiny Dancer and I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues really rock.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    marianner wrote: »
    Has Rod forgotten what rock is? :o
    A couple of years at the top with the Faces is all too easy to forget ... given how hard they partied. :eek: