Options

Russian mobile operators stop selling iPhones (big market to miss out on)

Comments

• Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Yep, Android is in the PC system market whilst iPhone is in the iPod type gadget market.
    Some hybrids use allow booting to Android or 8.

Conversely RT is more like IOS with the same boot and software restrictions. I don't think iPhone apps being marketed as a more basic iPad app helps the cause.

So you have gone from android is in the PC system market to some hybrids allow booting to android.

Can you tell me which hybrids they are, I can then look up the sales figures and see how much "android" is in the PC system market.

As for the comment about iPhone and iPad apps, I've not seen that marketing myself (although I only use an iPad).
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    So you have gone from android is in the PC system market to some hybrids allow booting to android.

Uhm...it's the same thing :confused:

Android is in the pc market, granted not that long in. What's the issue here? They are dual boot systems.
    Can you tell me which hybrids they are, I can then look up the sales figures and see how much "android" is in the PC system market.

Samsung and Asus i think. Google will tell you of course. Since they have only not long arrived i wouldn't think the sales would be that high. But they are still in the market.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you have gone from android is in the PC system market to some hybrids allow booting to android....As for the comment about iPhone and iPad apps, I've not seen that marketing myself (although I only use an iPad).
    A PC is something that boots and operating system and allows access to installing software. OS/X Win 8 and Android are PC operating systems.

And with regards to iPhone apps , they are usually marketed as a cheaper version, yet runnable on iPad,iPhone and iPod.
    It all makes it difficult to perceive the low resolution iPhone as premium.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Uhm...it's the same thing :confused:

Android is in the pc market, granted not that long in. What's the issue here? They are dual boot systems.

Samsung and Asus i think. Google will tell you of course. Since they have only not long arrived i wouldn't think the sales would be that high. But they are still in the market.

No, it is nothing like the same thing. To imply that android is in some way recognised as a PC type operating system is comical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, it is nothing like the same thing. To imply that android is in some way recognised as a PC type operating system is comical.

It is indeed the same thing. It's an operating system based on Linux on a personal computer that can be dual booted with Windows 8.

Nothing comical about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A PC is something that boots and operating system and allows access to installing software. OS/X Win 8 and Android are PC operating systems.

And with regards to iPhone apps , they are usually marketed as a cheaper version, yet runnable on iPad,iPhone and iPod.

Is it? So an iPad is a PC. If that is the case, what point were you trying to make? Actually, don't bother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is it? So an iPad is a PC. If that is the case, what point were you trying to make? Actually, don't bother.

If it ran on a PC then yes, it would be...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is indeed the same thing. It's an operating system based on Linux on a personal computer that can be dual booted with Windows 8.

Nothing comical about it.

If you say so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it ran on a PC then yes, it would be...

"A PC is something that boots and operating system and allows access to installing software."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So an iPad is a PC. If that is the case... Actually, don't bother.
    No its not, neither are the xbox, the Wii, Windows RT or Windows Phone. They are all gadgets, defined by the use of walled gardens.

The iPhone is fascinating as currently the screen resolution is kept below tat of the iPad Mini whilst top end Android phones screen resolution is above that of the iPad Mini.

The S4 and HTC one's screens are higher resolution than most tablets so it makes little sense to differentiate between an Android phone app and an Android tablet app.

There lies a future Apple dilemma. Do they improve the iPhone screen to raise perception and match or beat the iPad Mini?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It all makes it difficult to perceive the low resolution iPhone as premium.

When exactly are iPhone apps marketed as cheaper versions of iPad apps?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When exactly are iPhone apps marketed as cheaper versions of iPad apps?
    Media apps like that The Guardian one. They are 2 very different entities.

Arn't they all more expensive?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Media apps like that The Guardian one. They are 2 very different entities.

Arn't they all more expensive?

Doesn't the Guardian offer a free iPhone app and a subscription-based digital version of the paper for both iPhone and iPad?

Anyway, I was wondering about your point re them being marketed as a cheaper alternative. I've never seen apps marketed in this way.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Android can be a computer OS like Mac or Windows as well as a mobile OS like iOS or Windows Phone. It's very adaptable, which is why it is so successful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Guardian apps both use in-app subscription purchasing with distinctly different offerings.

They let you run the iPhone app on the iPad but I think never the other way round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "A PC is something that boots and operating system and allows access to installing software."

Yeeeees....and and Android tablet boots the Android OS, an ipad boots the iOS OS and an app is software is it not?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kidspud is only interested in obfuscation.
    You simply can't install your own non store downloaded software/apps on IOS or RT. You can on a PC like Android.

BTW HP just launched the Slatebook x2 10" laptop hybrid and the 21.5" HP Slate all-in-on PC.

Both run on Android using a Tegra 4 chipset.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kidspud is only interested in obfuscation.
    You simply can't install your own non store downloaded software/apps on IOS or RT. You can on a PC like Android.

BTW HP just launched the Slatebook x2 10" laptop hybrid and the 21.5" HP Slate all-in-on PC.

Both run on Android using a Tegra 4 chipset.

You now seem to be changing your own definition of a PC. I'm not sure why you've suddenly mentioned app stores :confused:

And if you are calling the Slatebook x2 a PC, I can see where your confusion is. I think you are falling for the marketing, which isn't a surprise, you seem to do that all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Android can be a computer OS like Mac or Windows as well as a mobile OS like iOS or Windows Phone. It's very adaptable, which is why it is so successful.

And that is what I was trying to understand. You are saying one of the reasons android has been so successful is because it can be a computer os. I would like to know what computers and who are buying them. What is the estimated install base of people using android as their os of choice on a PC?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And that is what I was trying to understand. You are saying one of the reasons android has been so successful is because it can be a computer os. I would like to know what computers and who are buying them. What is the estimated install base of people using android as their os of choice on a PC?

Why on earth would you need to know who's buying it and the rest of the nonsense you have asked? It can run on a PC which means it can be called a PC operating system. If ios could run on a pc it would be called a pc os as well. You are trying your hardest to over complicate this needlessly.

It doesn't matter either if people choose to use it as their os of choice. Its still a PC os.

Me thinks you know little about computers to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You now seem to be changing your own definition of a PC. I'm not sure why you've suddenly mentioned app stores :confused:

And if you are calling the Slatebook x2 a PC, I can see where your confusion is. I think you are falling for the marketing, which isn't a surprise, you seem to do that all the time.

It's a laptop hybrid so yes, it can be called a PC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me thinks you know little about computers to be honest.

You are in no position to judge, so it doesn't really matter what you think.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why are you acting as if I said Android is selling on millions of PCs? Nobody said that, so I don't know why you are demanding to know all the PCs Android runs on. Can't you use Google for that? :o

My point was, Android can be found in a variety of setups, not just tablets and not just mobile phones. It can run as a computer if needs be, after all it is Linux based. There is a growing trend of dual-booting Android and Windows as well as fully fledged Android laptops/PCs. It's an adaptable OS and that fact will always work in its favour, that's why it's the most popular mobile OS worldwide. Apple could learn a lot from Google.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Why are you acting as if I said Android is selling on millions of PCs? Nobody said that, so I don't know why you are demanding to know all the PCs Android runs on. Can't you use Google for that? :o

My point was, Android can be found in a variety of setups, not just tablets and not just mobile phones. It can run as a computer if needs be, after all it is Linux based. There is a growing trend of dual-booting Android and Windows as well as fully fledged Android laptops/PCs. It's an adaptable OS and that fact will always work in its favour, that's why it's the most popular mobile OS worldwide. Apple could learn a lot from Google.

I've not asked you for any of that information and I'm quite happy to search for it myself. I've not found any fully fledged android PCs. I've found a couple of tablet type devices that described as netbooks but that is different.

I even tried going onto the google website to see if I could buy an android install disk for my laptop, but I couldn't find it.

Not to worry.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I've not asked you for any of that information and I'm quite happy to search for it myself. I've not found any fully fledged android PCs. I've found a couple of tablet type devices that described as netbooks but that is different.

I even tried going onto the google website to see if I could buy an android install disk for my laptop, but I couldn't find it.

Not to worry.

google android x86 if you want a version of android you can run on x86 hardware.