Options

How long until the Sky+ 'kill signal'

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anything in this thread still relevant?

I've just cancelled Sky yesterday but would like to still use the PVR when I just got freesat...
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waffles wrote: »

I've just cancelled Sky yesterday but would like to still use the PVR when I just got freesat...

In the past, you could take the card out the day before they turn it off, wait about 3 months, then when you put it back in, the recording features still work.

There have been no reports of this working on the White cards.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Sat.Deelay wrote: »
    Ok, so I'm shortly upgrading to HD, qand am planning to keep my old Sky+ box for future use.

Anyone know how long the current cards recieve the 'kill' signal to remove the Sky+ record feature for? I've heard that it's upto around 3 months. Anyone know for sure?

I'd like to keep it to record any FTA channels in the future, but am happy to leave it unplugged for a few months so it misses the signals... ;)

it gets cut off straight away..
    u have to give 30 days notice,after that it gets cut off..
    mine did.. the sky+ got cut off with the subscription channels when i upgraded.. i still got the sky plus box for the free channels..
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky no longer rely on just a "kill" signal to turn functions on and off - they now use also "entitlement" dates (usually up to 5 weeks or so) which are updated on a monthly basis for valid subscriptions and when these expire the function is turned off.
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waffles wrote: »

How long have you been a subscriber?

Long enough to have had a blue viewing card before the present white one?

If so, if you still have the old blue card, there's a very good chance that will still work and still enable recording of the FTA channels.
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was to disconnect my dish feed cables and call to cancel, no signal would get to my card, right! Question is, can they kill the signal via internet connection if I used the box for on-demand only so long as I do not re connect my dish cables.
  • Options
    NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ML11 wrote: »
    If I was to disconnect my dish feed cables and call to cancel, no signal would get to my card, right! Question is, can they kill the signal via internet connection if I used the box for on-demand only so long as I do not re connect my dish cables.

No, but they don't need to. You will only be able to use the PVR features including OnDemand for a few hours if the box has no signal, after which it'll stop working until the box gets the satellite feed again. And when you connected the box it will be hit with the "Kill signal". The Sky+ entitlement also has an expiry date so the entitlement will expire before they stop sending the "Kill Signal".
  • Options
    CUP OF TEAAA!CUP OF TEAAA! Posts: 4,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, saw this thread and I'm in a similar situation so thought I would just ask here. We cancelled sky a few weeks ago and our subscription will last a few more days. The guy on the phone said we won't be able to record anymore which I knew beforehand. However, he also said that they will delete all the recordings off my box too? I've never heard of that happening before, anyone know if he was correct or mistaken? One day I will probably subscribe again and I would like to keep those recordings to watch in the future!

Also, after cancelling, is it possible for someone else in the house to join as a new subscriber and get any offers or is that not allowed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi guys, saw this thread and I'm in a similar situation so thought I would just ask here. We cancelled sky a few weeks ago and our subscription will last a few more days. The guy on the phone said we won't be able to record anymore which I knew beforehand. However, he also said that they will delete all the recordings off my box too? I've never heard of that happening before, anyone know if he was correct or mistaken? One day I will probably subscribe again and I would like to keep those recordings to watch in the future!

Also, after cancelling, is it possible for someone else in the house to join as a new subscriber and get any offers or is that not allowed?

They will not delete the recordings, however you will not be able to play them without a valid subscription and unless you reactivate your present card only the recordings from the FTA channels (BBC, ITV etc) will be viewable as recordings of encrypted channels are "paired" to the card.

The terms and conditions for new customers ask whether any member of the household has been a subscriber in the last 12 months and answering no to this is technically/legally fraud - people have done this and got away with it so up to you BUT again you would only be able to playback old recordings from FTA channels.
  • Options
    NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The recordings won't be deleted, but you will be unable to watch them.

Officially your not supposed to be able to cancel then resubscribe in someone else's name and receive new customer offers. But people do it and don't get caught.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you both! Most of my recordings are of FTA channels anyway, so that's not an issue :-)
  • Options
    rscottrscott Posts: 6,813
    Forum Member
    If you were to subscribe as a new customer, you'd probably only be offered Q anyway, so your old box wouldn't be any use.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As stated, if someone subscribed as a new subscriber, you would get a new box, which would be a SkyQ box now, so you wouldn't be able to play back your old recordings from your Sky+HD box.

If you check your online account, you should already have a 50%/60% off offer if you don't cancel, for 12 months (make sure marketing contact is turned ON in your account).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rscott wrote: »
    If you were to subscribe as a new customer, you'd probably only be offered Q anyway, so your old box wouldn't be any use.

But if I was to plug in my old box and put a valid card in there, wouldn't I be able to access FTA recordings?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if I was to plug in my old box and put a valid card in there, wouldn't I be able to access FTA recordings?

The HD box would need connecting to the dish and would NOT work with a standard Q lnb
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member

You may receive a letter inviting you to keep the box active and use the sky plus function free for 12 months. I got this offer three days before cut off. You have to tie into a 12 months contract to keep line rental. This is what i did last September. And if you have another box it counts for that too. On the bill it shows as £10 for sky plus and gives £10 off line rental so that is £7.40. So if you want to go down that route you may get a letter or if not try calling them on the day before cut off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The HD box would need connecting to the dish and would NOT work with a standard Q lnb

Wow so they have changed the LNB too?! This gets more and more complicated daily haha.

I checked my sky account, as someone said before, I do have a 50% offer for 10 months which seems good but one question. It states that the offer does not apply to premium channels. What constitutes premium channels? We have the Sky original bundle and the Asia pack. I know that the offer would apply to the original bundle, but I am unsure if the Asia pack would be classed as premium?