12th Doctor to Be Revealed on Sunday 4th August? (Merged)

Comments

• kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay so maybe I'm over-exaggerating about the stir it would cause. I say that cause the actor they've cast isn't British and is 90% known for comedy (though someone informed me he has done a period drama of some kind, which means he at least has done drama).

Most people will know his face but maybe not his name. I only know it cause of the sitcom he used to be in which I watched.

I'll go for Zach Braff.

With of course The Janitor as The Master
  • GilaGoraGilaGora Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope you're just trolling performingmonk. Please tell me you are.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So true, be a laugh if it was Lee Evans and the non British comment was just a smokescreen.:D

Laugh's not the word I'd use.

Honestly, I thought I had an open mind, but it seems I haven't at all. :eek:
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I thought I had an open mind, but it seems I haven't at all. :eek:

He was very good in Funny Bones.

Incidentally, is 'he' really part of the rumour or are we just assuming? Because the "known for comedy but has done a period drama" rumour might be one of the Miranda supporters trying to fan the flames.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    He was very good in Funny Bones.

Incidentally, is 'he' really part of the rumour or are we just assuming? Because the "known for comedy but has done a period drama" rumour might be one of the Miranda supporters trying to fan the flames.

But Miranda is British.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe it'll be a person that anyone has ever heard of.

A famous person instantly carries baggage and would make it hard for people to accept them in the role.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    But Miranda is British.

Oh, yeah. Silly me!

But it's all just a bunch of rumours — I'm willing to bet what we're talking about here is a combination and mutation of facts leaked by some informed parties, some parties that merely think they're informed and a few people just having a bit of a joke.

EDIT: maybe it's Sylvester McCoy again, but his employment is contingent on Scotland leaving the union? I'm not taking this discussion very seriously, clearly.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    I can't believe it'll be a person that anyone has ever heard of.

A famous person instantly carries baggage and would make it hard for people to accept them in the role.

But a total unknown would make the live studio audience and interview segment of it a bit of a damp squib.

"So who are you?" being the first question as the audience politely but unenthusiastically!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But a total unknown would make the live studio audience and interview segment of it a bit of a damp squib.

On the contrary, Badults, We Are Klang, etc, prove that an audience can be turned into a ridiculously enthused mob regardless of what they're watching.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"So who are you?" being the first question as the audience politely but unenthusiastically!

Yes but it is the 50th aniv. year, and the BBC have been known to hype Dr Who somewhat..

Practically every episode this last series was trailed like an American blockbuster, when the episode itself was often quite meh
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    But Miranda is British.

Her,Lee Evans and Ricky Gervais would make me think about burning my Dr Who collection.
  • Robert_JamesRobert_James Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god, suddenly this looks a realistic possibility. Mark Gatiss worked with him in The Crimson Petal and the White.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgYoWcUZmDM
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GilaGora wrote: »
    I really hope you're just trolling performingmonk. Please tell me you are.

There are (probably) people reading this thread who know I'm not. Has betting been suspended? I'd be surprised if it hasn't considering there's, as of this morning, now over 50 people (not including anyone connected to the show or BBC) who know the identity of the 12th Doctor but were told not to publish. How could it not get out there? They won't be bothered though cause it can't be proved till the official Moffat announcement (which is technically classed as a mini episode of Doctor Who, bit of trivia there...)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Why is there far more discussion of this on here than Gallifrey Base? I just went over there to see what they were saying, and there's hardly anything. I thought it would be a major topic of debate on GB!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's easy! You get the Mail on Sunday to check the whereabouts of all these candidates and see if they're free on Sunday evening. If they are it's them, if they're not it's not them. Simple! Anyone know the phone number?
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He's rather nice. Not that that's relevant of course :o. But I wouldn't have to renounce my fandom if he was the chosen one. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    There are (probably) people reading this thread who know I'm not. Has betting been suspended? I'd be surprised if it hasn't considering there's, as of this morning, now over 50 people (not including anyone connected to the show or BBC) who know the identity of the 12th Doctor but were told not to publish. How could it not get out there? They won't be bothered though cause it can't be proved till the official Moffat announcement (which is technically classed as a mini episode of Doctor Who, bit of trivia there...)

But if these 50 people are not connected to the show or the BBC, why do they know?
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    On the contrary, Badults, We Are Klang, etc, prove that an audience can be turned into a ridiculously enthused mob regardless of what they're watching.

Oh I quited enjoyed both of those in a "I wish The Young Ones was still on" kind of way!

Maybe I'll be whooping and howling for whoever it is in that case!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's rather nice. Not that that's relevant of course :o. But I wouldn't have to renounce my fandom if he was the chosen one. :)

I hope it isn't him granny for your sake. You'd be watching all the wrong things at the wrong times! You would be watching with lips licking and wide eyes! Only trouble is he's born and raised in Edinburgh which makes him British! I still think it's Ardal O'Hanlon or Chris O'Dowd.
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are (probably) people reading this thread who know I'm not. ....

Yes, I don't think you're stirring, I have seen you being correct about things before on DS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member

He's filming the second series of the Paradise now/soon, isn't he?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So performingmonk did you hear about Matt Smith before everyone else too?
  • Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    There are (probably) people reading this thread who know I'm not. Has betting been suspended? I'd be surprised if it hasn't considering there's, as of this morning, now over 50 people (not including anyone connected to the show or BBC) who know the identity of the 12th Doctor but were told not to publish. How could it not get out there?

So what's stopping you from saying it then? Beyond not wanting to look wrong come Sunday?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Just for clarification- is it confirmed that the Twelfth Doctor will be announced on Sunday or is it still just a rumour?

I can confirm that it is indeed a rumor