Computer upstairs, amp + speakers downstairs...

I need to listen to my music downstairs but my music library is stored on the computer upstairs.
Would a wireless transmitter and receiver work or would it compromise sound quality? Running cables is a very last solution.
Can anyone recommend some products that won't break the bank or give me some ideas how to achieve this sort of setup.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• madcapmonstermadcapmonster Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C8XY wrote: »
    I need to listen to my music downstairs but my music library is stored on the computer upstairs.
    Would a wireless transmitter and receiver work or would it compromise sound quality? Running cables is a very last solution.
    Can anyone recommend some products that won't break the bank or give me some ideas how to achieve this sort of setup.
    Thanks in advance

try a showcenter
    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/uk/Products/Consumer+Products/Digital+Media+Adapters/Digital+Media+Player/ShowCenter+200.htm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Standard wirless-G is ample for streaming music.

All my music is stored on the PC upstairs and streamed wirelessly via a laptop downstairs which is, in turn, connected to my amp.

Works fine. A very occasional bit of wireless dropout but thats always going to happen if you use wireless. As long as the signal stays strong, it's fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are you using as your music library software?

If it's iTunes, you could use an Airport Express at the remote end for streaming. If use AE's in 3 locations and control the central iTunes machine using PlayerPal on a Sony PSP, mobile phone or one of the other PC's/laptops in the house.

There are other 3rd party hardware based systems available, but the iTunes/AE setup seemed the most flexible. The best thing about it is the fact that the AE can be connected to a DAC for better sound quality.
  • C8XYC8XY Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JohnD2000 wrote: »
    What are you using as your music library software?

If it's iTunes, you could use an Airport Express at the remote end for streaming. If use AE's in 3 locations and control the central iTunes machine using PlayerPal on a Sony PSP, mobile phone or one of the other PC's/laptops in the house.

There are other 3rd party hardware based systems available, but the iTunes/AE setup seemed the most flexible. The best thing about it is the fact that the AE can be connected to a DAC for better sound quality.

Ok I'm using iTunes on an iMac and the remote to access the library is an iPhone with the remote app. So is there a reciever that the mac can detect that plugs straight in to my amplifier?
    Could anyone supply a link to the kind of receiver?
    Thanks for your suggestions so far :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sancheeez wrote: »

Don't know why I didn't check! Thanks mate
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just bought it, £65.
    Even has optical!

Cheers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're great. Got three of them (Lounge, Dining Room and bedroom) and they all work perfectly (and in synch with each other).

A good add-on if you like to use players other than iTunes is "Airfoil for Windows". It's dirt cheap and allows you to send the audio from any application to the Airport. I use it for internet radio players like Live365. Works a treat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they're great. Got three of them (Lounge, Dining Room and bedroom) and they all work perfectly (and in synch with each other).

A good add-on if you like to use players other than iTunes is "Airfoil for Windows". It's dirt cheap and allows you to send the audio from any application to the Airport. I use it for internet radio players like Live365. Works a treat.

Cheers john, with airtunes does it always stream or do you have to enable it on ur pc? On my way home, think it's been delivered :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C8XY wrote: »
    Cheers john, with airtunes does it always stream or do you have to enable it on ur pc? On my way home, think it's been delivered :)

It's just a matter of setting iTunes to look for airtunes devices (in preferences) then select the specific output you want from the button at the bottom right of the main iTunes screen.

Using Airfoil and a non-iTunes player, just start Airfoil first, select the Airport you want to stream to, then select the audio app you want to send to Airfoil.

It's very intuitive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just a matter of setting iTunes to look for airtunes devices (in preferences) then select the specific output you want from the button at the bottom right of the main iTunes screen.

Using Airfoil and a non-iTunes player, just start Airfoil first, select the Airport you want to stream to, then select the audio app you want to send to Airfoil.

It's very intuitive.

Ive set AirTunes up and it works so well, very easy to use and also my mac is taking advantage of the improved N type wireless!

Highly recommend to anyone
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An easier option might be to use a networkable media centre, with it's own hard drive and remote control.

You can then position it near your TV/HiFi and use it directly to play the material on both your computer and it's own hard drive. Your computer can be used to transfer new files to the drive.

I have a Sweex Media Center [click]. You can get them without drives installed for about £50-£60 I think, these days. There is probably a more modern version available using SATA drives and with e-sata connections for plugging directly into your computer when you want to copy huge multi-gig video files.

The media center can also access my Vista and XP PCs so that the video/music files stored there are also available.

MP3 is much more flexible than iTunes, I believe - and using something like Audacity you can easily convert iTunes format into MP3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobAnt wrote: »
    An easier option might be to use a networkable media centre, with it's own hard drive and remote control.

You can then position it near your TV/HiFi and use it directly to play the material on both your computer and it's own hard drive. Your computer can be used to transfer new files to the drive.

I have a Sweex Media Center [click]. You can get them without drives installed for about £50-£60 I think, these days. There is probably a more modern version available using SATA drives and with e-sata connections for plugging directly into your computer when you want to copy huge multi-gig video files.

The media center can also access my Vista and XP PCs so that the video/music files stored there are also available.

MP3 is much more flexible than iTunes, I believe - and using something like Audacity you can easily convert iTunes format into MP3.

I wouldn't have a PC on in the room when I'm listening to music. Anything with a fan is a no no for me.