SMS via iPad?

FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anybody tell me if it is possible to send sms from my iPad(3)?

Comments

• GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Franglais wrote: »

I assume you mean the 3G version of the iPad, you cant do this unless you jail break and use an app such as SwirlySMS
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Imessage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imessage.

iMessage can't send SMS on the iPad.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    iMessage can't send SMS on the iPad.

It sends messages.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sends messages.

The OP specifically asked if it was possible to send SMS.
  • sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loads of third party apps, however your friends have have the app as well, and some are restricted to wifi and some are iphone only. I think textme might work,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Franglais wrote: »

I guess you can't. because iPad does not have a phone. The phone number on your SIM for the iPad is not activated as a phone. It is just a tracking number for your billing. The phone companies do this partly because they are set up to track and bill phone numbers. I use AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) for iPad to send SMS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess you can't. because iPad does not have a phone. The phone number on your SIM for the iPad is not activated as a phone. It is just a tracking number for your billing. The phone companies do this partly because they are set up to track and bill phone numbers. I use AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) for iPad to send SMS.

That's not really true as apps exist that allow you to send SMS from your iPad if you jail break it.

AFAIK all SIMs have a phone number attached, even ones sold as data SIMs.
  • stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could go to the o2 website, there you can send SMS.
  • simmersimmer Posts: 952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess you can use Skype.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simmer wrote: »
    I guess you can use Skype.

Skype can send SMS?
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there should be several web based sms messaging sites. so you dont need to install anything. as long as the browser works. mind u ive not ever tried sending sms this way myself ........
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skype can send SMS?

Yes sending SMS does work with Skype over Wifi or 3G and cost 5.6p per message.

You obviously have to have Skype credit that you use on a PAYG basis. My experiences of this is with sending SMS from Android tablets but can’t see why it should not work with iOS.

Downside is you can’t receive SMS unless you buy a Skype in number or use their Skype to go feature but that is a bit long winded IMO.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    AFAIK all SIMs have a phone number attached, even ones sold as data SIMs.
    This is correct!

As all MiFi type devices (which obviously don't do voice either!) provide built-in control interfaces which are used to both set SIM data parameters AND which provide an SMS send/receive ability it's a bit of a mis-feature for the IPad not to do SMS!