3 Mobile Broadband So Slow.....

wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
Forum Member
✭✭
My Sky fixed line Broadband is down right now :mad: so after using 150MB of my Vodafone allowance (500MB a month) I thought it was time to fire up the 3 Broadband Dongle and activate a 3 month 3GB pre-paid 3 data sim. (They are cheap at about £11 on e-bay and you would never top one up. Just throw it away and buy a new one!)

I have a Huawei E53 HSPA+ dongle which supports 21Mbps and I live in an area covered by 3's 'Ultrafast' network, so imagine my surprise when I did a speed test and got the result below. (0.8Mbps down, 1.41Mbps up and 77ms ping).

Better than nothing but I'm dissapointed to say the least when O2 and Vodafone regularly manage 6-8Mbps locally. :(

http://speedtest.net/result/2562344588.png

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Sky fixed line Broadband is down right now :mad: so after using 150MB of my Vodafone allowance (500MB a month) I thought it was time to fire up the 3 Broadband Dongle and activate a 3 month 3GB pre-paid 3 data sim. (They are cheap at about £11 on e-bay and you would never top one up. Just throw it away and buy a new one!)

I have a Huawei E53 HSPA+ dongle which supports 21Mbps and I live in an area covered by 3's 'Ultrafast' network, so imagine my surprise when I did a speed test and got the result below. (0.8Mbps down, 1.41Mbps up and 77ms ping).

Better than nothing but I'm dissapointed to say the least when O2 and Vodafone regularly manage 6-8Mbps locally. :(

You live in an Ultrafast area, but you're not using a DC-HSPA dongle, if you were you'd be getting better speeds. Speeds will vary by times of day, different speed test sites etc, I guess they might have a capacity issue in your area. You could ask the Twitter team if they have any plans to add new cells or upgrades.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3's speed in my area is a disgrace and always has been poor despite the upgrades they publish on their website.

0.80Mbps is pretty rubbish, as was the last test which was 1.2Mbps download speed.

3 might deliver decent speed in some parts of the UK but definately not in my 'Ultrafast' enabled area.
  • djpalmer93djpalmer93 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    3 might deliver decent speed in some parts of the UK but definately not in my 'Ultrafast' enabled area.

It's irrelevant whether it's an Ultrafast area or not if your dongle only supports 21Mbps HSPA+ though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djpalmer93 wrote: »
    It's irrelevant whether it's an Ultrafast area or not if your dongle only supports 21Mbps HSPA+ though.

Indeed and I get no more than 2Mbps using a device that has 21Mbps capability and and a network that claims to be built for the Internet!

Vodafone and O2 deliver 4-6 times the speed 3 provide in an area they claim has been upgraded to their fastest data technology.

Not very convincing for a potential smartphone customer.....
    Forum Member
    Indeed and I get no more than 2Mbps using a device that has 21Mbps capability and and a network that claims to be built for the Internet!

Vodafone and O2 deliver 4-6 times the speed 3 provide in an area they claim has been upgraded to their fastest data technology.

Not really convincing.....

Well because Three carry around 40% of the UK's mobile data traffic they're obviously struggling with capacity in some areas, but this should be fixed once they roll out LTE with the new spectrum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well because Three carry around 40% of the UK's mobile data traffic they're obviously struggling with capacity in some areas, but this should be fixed once they roll out LTE with the new spectrum.

How does that relate to less than 10% of the speed expected using their most up to date device?

Having experienced their performance using a cheap dongle I am very far from convinced to invest in an expensive smartphone contract in my area.
    Forum Member
    How does that relate to less than 10% of the speed expected using their most up to date device?

Having experienced their performance using a cheap dongle I am very far from convinced to invest in an expensive smartphone contract in my area.

Because in some areas there are a lot more people using a mast than in others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because in some areas there are a lot more people using a mast than in others.

I know that...... it does not improve the prospect of me buying a service that is far poorer than others in the same area.

Activating a 3 mobile broadband SIM has been very useful to judge whether their data service is worthwhile in terms of investment in a 24 month contract for a new smartphone.

From what I have experienced so far 3 will not be a network worth considering.
    Forum Member
    I know that...... it does not improve the prospect of me buying a service that is far poorer than others in the same area.

Activating a 3 mobile broadband SIM has been very useful to judge whether their data service is worthwhile in terms of investment in a 24 month contract for a new smartphone.

Okay, don't then :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, don't then :)

Shame because it was on my shortlist.

Having seen some superb speedtest results posted I was impressed but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and sadly 3's performance is very poor where I live and work despite the hype.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worth seeing what it's like at different times of day or if they have any plans to add more cell sites in your area. It does vary area by area. Three coverage is very poor where I work, but very good at home. Speeds vary from 2-12 Megs depending on load and time of day for me.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Shame because it was on my shortlist.

Having seen some superb speedtest results posted I was impressed but the proof of the pudding is in the eating and sadly 3's performance is very poor where I live and work despite the hype.

Thats the same with all networks. All networks have their good and bad coverage areas. But if you take into account coverage and tech used etc... then MBNL have the best 3G network in the UK. But that doesn't mean everywhere in the UK. There will be a lot of places where MBNL may be worse or miles ahead.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Once again, the usual suspects have come out to bash 3 and they clearly have a personal vendetta against what is otherwise a very successful network and the best coverage... It is yet another thread to attempt to discredit 3 and they will post the same negative stuff that they have been posting for months.

(cont p94)

On a more serious note I have never really got truly mindblowing speeds on 3, but that may be partly because I have ancient HSPA hardware (7.2/2). I have managed 6Mbps occasionally though, and to me raw speed is not important. In my case the alternative is EE or no one, because Vodafone and O2 haven't heard of this new fangled 3G technology and think spotty EDGE is now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Once again, the usual suspects have come out to bash 3

No.

Just posting the facts:

The performance tonight using a 21Mbps capable dongle in an 'Utrafast' upgraded area.

The reality is far from the promised performance.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not Three's best night for me either. But it is Saturday night at peaktime.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2562651149.png
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Admittedly it's good enough for browsing and better than nothing as an emergency service provison when fixed line broadband is unavailable but it's really poor compared with Vodafone and O2 where I live. I would not consider buying a contract on 3 with the level of performance they provide from personal experience which has been confirmed by your (Martin Philip) speed test posting.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Managed to get Download 4.28Mbps Upload 0.3Mbps and Ping 186ms using an iPhone 3GS. Probably not the best phone to do speed tests with :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually I just tried it and got the same result. I wonder if they have some limited capacity at the moment due to some peers or transit links down. It's unusually slow.

Whilst not a service outage, it's not as fast as normal for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My latest result is poor.

Not great when my Vodafone mobile is delivering 6+ Mbps in the same area.

http://speedtest.net/result/2562385613.png

The network designed for the Internet eh?

I expect the usual 3 supporters and apologists to post some nonsense to try and justify the proven poor 3 network performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will vary, you'll find you get higher speeds at times randomly when less users are using your cell and lower speeds when more are. One night it can be 2, the next it can be 12.

LTE will go some way to improving things and will come at no extra cost apparently. I'd rather have a more generous or unlimited 2-12Mbps service at a decent cost over and expensive 750MB plan at a silly cost with limited coverage though,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My latest result is poor.

Not great when my Vodafone mobile is delivering 6+ Mbps in the same area.

http://speedtest.net/result/2562385613.png

The guy posts to complain about a near enough 3Mbps speed test when only the other day he said the following!

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=62119213&postcount=7
    Who cares about whether it's 5, 10 20 or 40Mbps?

Unless it's replacing fixed line broadband it hardly matters.

As previously stated and confirmed 3Mbps is good enough for YouTube or BBC iPlayer HD streaming.

As I say wave try it at some different times and you may find the speeds vary, as they always will do on 3G by location and current usage in the area.

This IS the justification for LTE which you were arguing was pointless.
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're extremely unlikely to get more than 10Mbps even with the latest equipment in an Ultrafast area. This is just the way the technology works - These theoretical speeds are only applicable in an R&D lab. That's not the way it's been marketed though, obviously.

From personal experience, I'd say an 'average' of speeds using Three is about 2.5Mbps - which is just about right for browsing, basic YouTube viewing and small downloads.

At my city centre location, at the top of a tower block, I rarely get more than 1Mbps with the latest MiFi. In the Wirral, I get about 2Mbps. In South Manchester, I get about 4.5Mbps, but at this location the mast is just over the road.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're extremely unlikely to get more than 10Mbps even with the latest equipment in an Ultrafast area. This is just the way the technology works - These theoretical speeds are only applicable in an R&D lab. That's not the way it's been marketed though, obviously.

From personal experience, I'd say an 'average' of speeds using Three is about 2.5Mbps - which is just about right for browsing, basic YouTube viewing and small downloads.

At my city centre location, at the top of a tower block, I rarely get more than 1Mbps with the latest MiFi. In the Wirral, I get about 2Mbps. In South Manchester, I get about 4.5Mbps, but at this location the mast is just over the road.

That is very interesting. Very realistic and not good reading for some who have posted that 42Mbps is possible via 3G.

I have been dissapointed by 3's speed locally. It's very stable at about 1-2Mbps but nowhere near even 50% of the claimed speed capable of the dongle in my 'Ultrafast' area.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    That is very interesting. Very realistic and not good reading for some who have posted that 42Mbps is possible via 3G.

I have been dissapointed by 3's speed locally. It's very stable at about 1-2Mbps but nowhere near even 50% of the claimed speed capable of the dongle in my 'Ultrafast' area.

Just ignore my post then.

And I dont know anyone who is dumb enough to think you can actually get 42mbps on a dc-hspa+ connection
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Posting anecdotal evidence is fun. Bit bored here so thought I'd do a test, two phones - one on 3 and one on Voda.

3 - ping 82ms; down 7115kbps; up 1625kbps
    Voda - ping 1707ms; down 11kbps; up - hasn't started yet

Both side by side, even tried going outside to try to complete a test on Voda and no joy. Bottom line - depends where you are, who's on the cell you're using, and probably half a dozen other factors. My own experience is that, in the places I'm likely to be, 3 has by far the best mobile internet service. YMMV of course.