Options

Paternoster Row Spin-Off: What Would You Like?

2»

Comments

• Options
    CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Moffat said he had approached the BBC about a spin off but that he didn't have the time to do it or something.

I think it could work well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CelticMyth wrote: »
    I think Moffat said he had approached the BBC about a spin off but that he didn't have the time to do it or something.

I think it could work well.

Well now Matt is definitely confirmed for 2014 and Moff definitely too it would be great for it to air inbetween series 8 gaps etc as a parallel to Doctor Who too :) its a shame they didnt have it planned this year so in Sept/Oct they can lead into the 50th with it but alas :D
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it would cost too much to do a costume drama like that - especially a sci-fi costume drama. The 'good' thing about the Sarah Jane Adventures was that it was modern times and cheap.

I'd love to see it though.

The BBC probably have a massive toy box full of Victorian dressed sets to reuse.
    It's one of the things they're known for. They must be one the leading production experts in the world when it comes to Victorian period television.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the Paternoster gang, but I wonder if they'd work as a series in themselves. Maybe they would. Be interesting to give them a try with a short series maybe and see how it goes.
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Some great ideas. I'd love Jackson Lake to be the fourth member although David Morrissey might struggle to return.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some great ideas. I'd love Jackson Lake to be the fourth member although David Morrissey might struggle to return.

Unless there is some Time travel involved then Jackson Lake would be a very old man in 1893.

They could introduce Frederick Lake (Jackson's son) who would be in his late 40's in 1893.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Oops - ralise I have said some of this in a previous post)

A few reasons why it won't happen:

1) it would be too expensive to do as it is essentially a costume drama - Sarah Jane Adventures was relatively cheap due to it being modern times.
    2) it would be an expensive sci-fi costume drama which I doubt the BBC would go for.
    3) it would have to be prime-time to make it worth the money - the BBC don't seem sticking any new concept stuff on Saturday night that is new concept and this show(which would be great - don't get me wrong) would be too much of a chance for them).
    4) are they not better making guest appearances every now and again and would the set-up get old and tiring? (Opinion from someone else).

I'd love to see it happen having said all that stuff above.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC probably have a massive toy box full of Victorian dressed sets to reuse.
    It's one of the things they're known for. They must be one the leading production experts in the world when it comes to Victorian period television.

It's not simply about clothes, it is about all the other Victoriana and creating either one-off sets or closing down real locations for periods of time.

The reason 'First Of The Summer Wine' only ahd one series was due to the cost of doing a period drama.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    They live on a street called Paternoster Row and were called The Paternoster Gang by the Narrator in the Minisode "The Great Detective".

Thank you for answering. I avoid Children in Need like the plague, I'm afraid (not because I don't give to charity, but because I can't bear the type of evening it is with regard to TV viewing/scheduling; the same is true of Comic Relief :o). I'd caught up with the 'Call the Midwife' skit on youtube from C.I.N., but I didn't hear about there being a DW part of it, I'm afraid. Is it a 'tradition' of sorts? Clearly I'm not part of that - am I the only one who didn't know?

Anyway, it explains my lack of knowledge, whether justifiable in other people's eyes or not. Does everyone, but me, know the reference, then (or, at least, why and where it came from) then?! :o
  • Options
    GaladrielGaladriel Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    At the risk of annoying some people, I would want for it not to be done by the current DW showrunner. Mr Moffat has already shown that he cannot juggle major two shows. If he was in charge of a DW spinoff, I fear that Doctor Who would suffer as it has done with Sherlock.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it a 'tradition' of sorts?

There's been a number of mini DW stories done for both Comic Relief and Children in Need in recent years so yes it's something a tradition.

Even in the years where there's nothing special filmed they usually have the first showing of the Christmas Special trailer or something.

Not just the new series either The Five Doctors was broadcast as part of Children in Need in 1983 and the Curse of Fatal Death was a Moffat written Comic Relief sketch in 1999.

Have a look at this list of episodes there may be a few mini episodes you've missed.
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the BBC cutting back on Doctor Who itself, not to mention it's entire (already limited) lineup of fantasy / Sci-Fi programming, why on Earth do people think they would produce a Doctor Who spin-off show? Talk about it for fun, by all means, but some people seem to think this could actually happen.