Emmerdale's Debbie and Andy. I really don't understand?

Comments

• SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    If it had FA she could use that, but a healthy baby which wasn't a match she surely doesn't have a valid reason to abort.
    I agree. No valid reason
    She doesn't need a "valid reason" if she aborts before a certain time.

When did they change the law to allow abortion on demand as a form of contraception.:confused:
  • geraldinemariageraldinemaria Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    When did they change the law to allow abortion on demand as a form of contraception.:confused:

I know. I understand that if the pregnancy hasn't exceeded 24 weeks then the case has to be that
    * The continuance of the pregnancy has to involve risk
    * That termination would prevent injury or mental health
    * That the continuance of the pregnancy would risk the life of the pregnant woman
    * That there is a substantial risk that the child would suffer from physical or mental abnormalities as to be seriously handicapped

This story line isn't just stupid but also worryingly irresponsible.
  • Gwen_PYCGwen_PYC Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are supposed to view Debbie's actions as those of a desperate mother and not notice how completely irresponsible and insane her plan actually is. What if it takes five or six pregnancies for her to conceive a match for Sarah? Can a woman's body even stand that many terminations, one after the other, without a serious biological toll?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    RobbieJJ wrote: »
    its her fit body and firm little ass in those sprayed on jeans

men dont care about personality so much if they have a body like hers
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Ordinarily I'd agree with you but Debbie can make milk curdle by just looking at it. And I really couldn't tell you the last time I saw her smile.

Would you really want to go home to her?:confused:

I don't find Debbie in the least attractive, not just her personality but her looks. I just don't fancy these ultra thin women
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't event begin to imagine how Debbie love and Andy must feel having such a poorly daughter but this thing about getting pregnant and sleeping with one another, I think it's a bit over the top.
    They are trying the way a gay couple would try and that is not working, who is to say sleeping with one another will make it work?
    Horrible situation all round really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know if I had a child who was sick I wouldn't want a soap opera to fabricate stupid, faux angsty situations that have no bearing on reality when touching on this sensitive subject. It belittles the struggles real people must go through. Emmerdale did the same thing with the euthanasia storyline, too. It seems like a huge waste because topics like these can be the inspiration for fantastic drama, and sometimes even send a really positive message, too.

Spreading misinformation and using these sensitive issues as cheap, throwaway plot devices is unfair on the viewers who deal with these things in real life.
    Because as was stated in the dialogue they've used up all other possible options - natural conception is their last resort. And what's wrong with soaps covering childhood illnesses anyway? If they only covered adult illnesses there would be complaints of ageism surely.....

I didn't say there was anything "wrong" with soaps covering childhood illnesses, I said that if they ARE going to tackle sensitive subjects then they should treat the subject with the respect it deserves by at least adhering to the basic facts.

They haven't used up "all other possible options", at all. The most obvious option of all would be simply to wait before jumping to the conclusion that their current method isn't working! :rolleyes: And there are many things they could do to aid their current situation that does not involve having sex (drugs to boost egg release or ways to accurately time ovulation, raising money to undergo IVF privately). The inclusion of sex in this storyline ("oh nooo we have to sleep together!") is just unnecessary and ridiculous. :rolleyes:
    Gwen_PYC wrote: »
    We are supposed to view Debbie's actions as those of a desperate mother and not notice how completely irresponsible and insane her plan actually is. What if it takes five or six pregnancies for her to conceive a match for Sarah? Can a woman's body even stand that many terminations, one after the other, without a serious biological toll?

I've been wondering this myself.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where does it say , Thow shalt not enjoy ones self when making babies ,:p:o:o
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't have to sleep together, but they are planning on having sex
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    They don't have to sleep together, but they are planning on having sex

Haha, I was waiting for someone to point that out. I just don't feel comfortable being super blunt with words. :)
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gwen_PYC wrote: »

Mostly likely no and it could impaired her fertility badly and I agree I find the storyline irresponsible in retrospective of them suggesting to get pregnant and abort if the baby isn't a match it gives the wrong idea to people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Ordinarily I'd agree with you but Debbie can make milk curdle by just looking at it. And I really couldn't tell you the last time I saw her smile.

Would you really want to go home to her?:confused:

Totally agree :D Is there ever a scene where she isn't sniping at someone? Debbie just appears dead behind the eyes and I can't understand why Cameron puts up with this abrasive madam.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know. I understand that if the pregnancy hasn't exceeded 24 weeks then the case has to be that
    * The continuance of the pregnancy has to involve risk
    * That termination would prevent injury or mental health
    * That the continuance of the pregnancy would risk the life of the pregnant woman
    * That there is a substantial risk that the child would suffer from physical or mental abnormalities as to be seriously handicapped

This story line isn't just stupid but also worryingly irresponsible.

Exactly. Debbie seems to be under the impression she can get rid of a baby as if she's throwing out the rubbish. It very much depends on the area she lives in whether it's 'on demand' or not and some local authorities are stricter than others. And you still need two Doctors signatures. In Debbie's case the 'mental health' reason would probably be used unless the foetus was carrying the same disease as Sarah has. But how many times would Debbie get off with this before the health professionals started asking questions? What she's planning is completely unethical FGS not to say, as others have said, the toll on her body! And it could literally take YEARS for them to get a perfect match.

If the PTB go with this storyline I hope they show Debbie the Robotic one having trouble getting an abortion, especially if it's the 2nd or 3rd in short space of time. No doubt she'll go in there thinking she can just shout and get her own way as usual. Or explain she wants rid because it's not a match expecting everyone else to see her plight and bend to her will because that's what she's used to so it would be great to see her come up against some opposition, opposition that doesn't back down.
    ciaociao wrote: »
    I know if I had a child who was sick I wouldn't want a soap opera to fabricate stupid, faux angsty situations that have no bearing on reality when touching on this sensitive subject. It belittles the struggles real people must go through. Emmerdale did the same thing with the euthanasia storyline, too. It seems like a huge waste because topics like these can be the inspiration for fantastic drama, and sometimes even send a really positive message, too.

Spreading misinformation and using these sensitive issues as cheap, throwaway plot devices is unfair on the viewers who deal with these things in real life.

They haven't used up "all other possible options", at all. The most obvious option of all would be simply to wait before jumping to the conclusion that their current method isn't working! :rolleyes: And there are many things they could do to aid their current situation that does not involve having sex (drugs to boost egg release or ways to accurately time ovulation, raising money to undergo IVF privately). The inclusion of sex in this storyline ("oh nooo we have to sleep together!") is just unnecessary and ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Literally could not agree more. To ME they're going down the salacious/shocking angle I find it very distasteful. Especially when they haven't covered all the other options first. In fact Debbie didn't even seem to listen to the consultant, she just shouted a bit and walked out IIRC.
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Mostly likely no and it could impaired her fertility badly and I agree I find the storyline irresponsible in retrospective of them suggesting to get pregnant and abort if the baby isn't a match it gives the wrong idea to people.

Horrible. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some rabid anti-abortionist but FGS there should be some limits! If the programme shows Debbie having one abortion after another without coming up against any opposition from the medical profession it will be the most irresponsible thing they have ever shown and might be the thing that finally makes me switch off.
    Totally agree :D Is there ever a scene where she isn't sniping at someone? Debbie just appears dead behind the eyes and I can't understand why Cameron puts up with this abrasive madam.

She's awful, like a bloody robot. What Cameron is supposedly going to put up with is ludicrous. For her?

In any other characters hands this might have been a dramatic and sympathetic storyline but they couldn't have picked a worse character IMO. She's unsympathetic and like stone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    If the PTB go with this storyline I hope they show Debbie the Robotic one having trouble getting an abortion, especially if it's the 2nd or 3rd in short space of time. No doubt she'll go in there thinking she can just shout and get her own way as usual.

And if that doesn't work, she'll threaten the medical staff to "tell my dad", they'll be shaking in the boots for sure :rolleyes:

What a sad excuse of a storyline. All that crap about Sarah bein ill is just an excuse to make Debbie and wifebeater sleep together with their partners blessing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MissLola wrote: »
    And if that doesn't work, she'll threaten the medical staff to "tell my dad", they'll be shaking in the boots for sure :rolleyes:

What a sad excuse of a storyline. All that crap about Sarah bein ill is just an excuse to make Debbie and wifebeater sleep together with their partners blessing.

I agree. I think it's just been a long winded way of getting Debbie and Andy back together.

I was just thinking though. This being Debbie if she's refused an abortion she'll probably go to the 'back street' kind instead.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. Debbie seems to be under the impression she can get rid of a baby as if she's throwing out the rubbish. It very much depends on the area she lives in whether it's 'on demand' or not and some local authorities are stricter than others. And you still need two Doctors signatures. In Debbie's case the 'mental health' reason would probably be used unless the foetus was carrying the same disease as Sarah has. But how many times would Debbie get off with this before the health professionals started asking questions? What she's planning is completely unethical FGS not to say, as others have said, the toll on her body! And it could literally take YEARS for them to get a perfect match.

If the PTB go with this storyline I hope they show Debbie the Robotic one having trouble getting an abortion, especially if it's the 2nd or 3rd in short space of time. No doubt she'll go in there thinking she can just shout and get her own way as usual. Or explain she wants rid because it's not a match expecting everyone else to see her plight and bend to her will because that's what she's used to so it would be great to see her come up against some opposition, opposition that doesn't back down.

Literally could not agree more. To ME they're going down the salacious/shocking angle I find it very distasteful. Especially when they haven't covered all the other options first. In fact Debbie didn't even seem to listen to the consultant, she just shouted a bit and walked out IIRC.

Horrible. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some rabid anti-abortionist but FGS there should be some limits! If the programme shows Debbie having one abortion after another without coming up against any opposition from the medical profession it will be the most irresponsible thing they have ever shown and might be the thing that finally makes me switch off.

She's awful, like a bloody robot. What Cameron is supposedly going to put up with is ludicrous. For her?

In any other characters hands this might have been a dramatic and sympathetic storyline but they couldn't have picked a worse character IMO. She's unsympathetic and like stone.

I think the actress can add a lot to the character. The Charley Webb is wooden, no warmth or compassion, at least the actress who plays Alicia displays anger, frustration and compassion in her acting and also shows the transformation when she is happy. Debbie to Emmerdale is what Sean is to Corrie both seem to know people in high places and there will always be a job for them in soaps. I remember reading that the actress has no dreams about going to Hollywood, ofcourse not, she cannot act and looks arent everything.

The actress who plays Laurel is way ahead in the acting stakes.
    IMO childr actors don't always make good adult actors.
  • MisterDuckMisterDuck Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Alicia's summary was actually really good. Andy and Debbie are very selfish for expecting Cameron and Alicia to just go along with this whole scheme and act like there is nothing wrong with it.
    I don't understand why Alicia and Cameron even needed to be told about the "natural" idea, surely Debbie and Andy could just get on with it discreetly and if it worked, pretend the turkey baster had been successful?

It's not as though it would even take much time - no need for hours of foreplay, just a quick servicing and off to the Woollie for a well earned pint. I could get the whole thing done and dusted in less than 30 seconds, just ask my wife. :confused:
  • Sally77Sally77 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to begin with I thought the whole story was going to end when they found out amy's baby was a match, however now we know that isn't the case I have no idea how this is going to end. to be honest I don't like the SL but thats only because I can't stand debbie.

Debbie certainly acts so hard-done by, not just with sarah but with everything. she acts like a spoilt brat, everybody tip-toes around her and I can't stand it. she certainly thinks she is sombody special (sorry rant over with!!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MisterDuck wrote: »
    I don't understand why Alicia and Cameron even needed to be told about the "natural" idea, surely Debbie and Andy could just get on with it discreetly and if it worked, pretend the turkey baster had been successful?

It's not as though it would even take much time - no need for hours of foreplay, just a quick servicing and off to the Woollie for a well earned pint. I could get the whole thing done and dusted in less than 30 seconds, just ask my wife. :confused:

LOL!:D Well there is that I suppose but I think these two wanted to be honest with their partners.
    Sally77 wrote: »
    to begin with I thought the whole story was going to end when they found out amy's baby was a match, however now we know that isn't the case I have no idea how this is going to end. to be honest I don't like the SL but thats only because I can't stand debbie.

Debbie certainly acts so hard-done by, not just with sarah but with everything. she acts like a spoilt brat, everybody tip-toes around her and I can't stand it. she certainly thinks she is sombody special (sorry rant over with!!)

Debbie's intolerable isn't she? It occurred to me the other night that the only people she's OK/nice with on a regular basis are Lisa and Zak. She's not too bad with them. But no doubt if they showed disapproval of her plans she's blast them out too :(
  • geraldinemariageraldinemaria Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Debbie's intolerable isn't she? It occurred to me the other night that the only people she's OK/nice with on a regular basis are Lisa and Zak. She's not too bad with them. But no doubt if they showed disapproval of her plans she's blast them out too :(

The trouble is it's not just about her being tolerable with someone, anyone it's the non stop misery fest. I don't know how anyone can love her because she is so unremittingly down beat.

Being around her must feel like you are being consumed with negativity. It would make sense if this had just happened because of the current story line but we know she's always been like this and yet we are supposed to believe Cameron left his wife and kids to be with this unpleasant one dimensional character, And now that Andy probably falls for her again. Well at least Andy too is one dimensional and you can't really imagine him having a laugh either.

Alicia on the other hand. At least she is free to get with David I hope who you can see having a laugh.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trouble is it's not just about her being tolerable with someone, anyone it's the non stop misery fest. I don't know how anyone can love her because she is so unremittingly down beat.

Being around her must feel like you are being consumed with negativity. It would make sense if this had just happened because of the current story line but we know she's always been like this and yet we are supposed to believe Cameron left his wife and kids to be with this unpleasant one dimensional character, And now that Andy probably falls for her again. Well at least Andy too is one dimensional and you can't really imagine him having a laugh either.

Alicia on the other hand. At least she is free to get with David I hope who you can see having a laugh.

At least Natalie Anderson has done a bit more acting than Charley Webb. I am warming to Anderson's character as Alicia.
  • desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MisterDuck wrote: »

ROFL:D:D:D:D:D:D Nice one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    I think the actress can add a lot to the character. The Charley Webb is wooden, no warmth or compassion, at least the actress who plays Alicia displays anger, frustration and compassion in her acting and also shows the transformation when she is happy. Debbie to Emmerdale is what Sean is to Corrie both seem to know people in high places and there will always be a job for them in soaps. I remember reading that the actress has no dreams about going to Hollywood, ofcourse not, she cannot act and looks arent everything.

Natalie Anderson's portrayal of Alicia's angst has been the only bright spot in this badly done story. All my sympathies lie with Alicia who has been subjected to Debbie's nastiness and Andy's indecisiveness. In contrast, Charley Webb has been dire so Debbie is totally unsympathetic. I really hope this is the beginning of Alicia getting a new start away from the gruesome twosome. She and David would be good together for sure.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    [

Good comments
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissLola wrote: »
    Charity was 14 when she had Debbie. Debbie was 15 when she had Sarah. Debbie is only 21 although she has the spirit of a bitter grumpy 80 years old spinster.

The storyline was always gonna end up with Andy and Debbie doing the deed. First they'll do it because they have to then because they enjoy doing it...
    Thanks for explaining..still think Debbie doesn't look much younger then Charity!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The only way that Debbie could pull this off is if she went to a money scrubbing private clinic with no scruples. No way the NHS looks at her medical history and blindly signs off on multiple abortions. However, it is clear that TPTB have not given this story much thought beyond using it to get Andy and Debbie back together.