Options

The Woman In Black 2011 ( New Hammer Horror Film )

Comments

• Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from seeing this: Brilliant, head-to-toe goosebumps for quite a lot of the film and jumped out of my skin on more than one occasion!

Initially the 'it's Harry Potter' factor is a slight issue, especially with the line 'you look just like your mother' and a trip on a steam train coming in the first five mins, but I soon got past that.
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got back from seeing it and I loved it.
    I did struggle with Dan at first, for the first hour or so I just kept seeing Harry Potter. But then as I got more invested in the story, I forgot about that and really grew to care about the character of Arthur.

Members of our audience were visibly jumping and screaming throughout he film, which unfortunately invited lots of loud chatter and laughter from the chavs in the audience :mad:.

That Rocking chair....:eek:

The rocking chair part in the book is the scariest part ! :eek: Mind about DR i think he is made for the Arthur Kipps part in the film !
  • Options
    Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Initially the 'it's Harry Potter' factor is a slight issue, especially with the line 'you look just like your mother' and a trip on a steam train coming in the first five mins, but I soon got past that.

I hope those bits are there because they were in the book and/or play, and not an insultingly cynical attempt at the studio cashing in on HP even now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed this, but found it quite forgettable. While I was scared in the cinema, I couldn't for the life of me remember exactly what had scared me while I was there. If anything though, it shows that this kind of slow-burn horror really does have a market. Hope to see more of its kind.
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree 100% with those comments ...rybev ! surely a true horror movie should be at least 15 anyway ! i remember seeing a parent bring a 8 year old to see The Lovely Bones which was totally unsuitable for under 15s in my opinion ! And remember all old Hammer films were 18s or "X"s so why change it ?...hopefully the uncut bits will be put in the DVD release !
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    filmfan7 wrote: »
    Wouldnt it be so good if in a celebration of the old Hammer Horror film tradition that Christopher Lee was given a cameo role in this film ! ?

Hammer did that last year in The Resident.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree 100% with those comments ...rybev ! surely a true horror movie should be at least 15 anyway ! i remember seeing a parent bring a 8 year old to see The Lovely Bones which was totally unsuitable for under 15s in my opinion ! And remember all old Hammer films were 18s or "X"s so why change it ?...hopefully the uncut bits will be put in the DVD release !

A shame that in today's world the Blu-Ray/DVD is the definitive version of a movie and the cinema release just a sort of preview for that.

But nothing's new. The 30+ Blu-Ray release of classic Hammer Horror that starts next month will include censor cuts from the 1960s now restored to make these the definitive editions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Hammer did that last year in The Resident.

He looked very frail at last years BAFTAS !..but it would have been good if hed had a small part in TWIB film !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be good if more of Susan Hills books were adapted for the tv or big screen ! she does mainly crime novels but her ghost stories are the best IMO !..im reading The Small Hand ..a excellent creepy ghost story, at the moment and that would be ideal for an adaption !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    A shame that in today's world the Blu-Ray/DVD is the definitive version of a movie and the cinema release just a sort of preview for that.

But nothing's new. The 30+ Blu-Ray release of classic Hammer Horror that starts next month will include censor cuts from the 1960s now restored to make these the definitive editions.

It annoys me in so many DVD releases thats the film companies dont often add the deleted material to a DVD release and just have "extras" as if its too difficult to intergrate these into an extended verson all cinema goers would want ! isnt it about time these people give the public what they want ? which is an uncut version rather than the cut version in TWIB pandering to silly screaming teenagers who arnt interested in watching the film itself !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this last night, didnt have a clue about the story before hand, just knew it was a 'horror film'

Very much enjoyed it, think it helped that thier wasnt many 'chavs/kids' in the audience and everyone pretty much stayed quite throughout. Loved the rocking chair scene. How different is the film to the book? It has made me want to read it.
  • Options
    kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to see it last night after having loved the book, the 1980's TV Film and Stage Play... I think they did a really good job, It's not perfect, they have taken liberties with the original storyline but I think it works... most importantly it is scary.

But as some have mentioned, the fact that it's a 12a and being half-term week... The screening I went to was a little bit spoiled by the hoards of tweens. I actually missed the big rocking chair moment that my friends all made a fuss about afterwards because I was so busy looking over and tutting at a particularly irritating gaggle of unsupervised oiks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukool wrote: »
    Saw this last night, didnt have a clue about the story before hand, just knew it was a 'horror film'

Very much enjoyed it, think it helped that thier wasnt many 'chavs/kids' in the audience and everyone pretty much stayed quite throughout. Loved the rocking chair scene. How different is the film to the book? It has made me want to read it.

The book is brilliant ! def worth reading ! mind its differant to the film which is a loose adaptation ! i think its nearly half price in WH Smith at the moment !...also good are The Small Hand and Mist In the Mirror by the same author !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed the film. I felt some of the changes (from the book) didn't work that well and were a bit 'horror film cliche' but on the whole a great film. Will buy the DVD and hope the cuts are re-instated. The 12a certificate has been a BIG mistake. I've read blog after blog, and many comments at how peoples' experience of the film was ruined by little, disrespectful morons!

On a random note, I hope Liz White and Ciaran Hinds will attend a UK film convention or two in the very near future :)
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we talk about this out loud yet without the spoilers? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    richie4eva wrote: »
    Can we talk about this out loud yet without the spoilers? :D

I wanted a scene with Alice Drablow's funeral as our first good glimpse of Jennet Humfrye :/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the film. I felt some of the changes (from the book) didn't work that well and were a bit 'horror film cliche' but on the whole a great film. Will buy the DVD and hope the cuts are re-instated. The 12a certificate has been a BIG mistake. I've read blog after blog, and many comments at how peoples' experience of the film was ruined by little, disrespectful morons!

On a random note, I hope Liz White and Ciaran Hinds will attend a UK film convention or two in the very near future :)

May the curse of The Woman In Black haunt these little morons for spoiling the film for us ! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    May the curse of The Woman In Black haunt these little morons for spoiling the film for us ! :D

THEY
    were inappropriate for the film... according to a Den Of Geek blog and I very much agree.
    Funny how Daniel Radcliffe's next film apparently touches upon paedophilia ...gonna make that a 12a too?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rocking chair part in the book is the scariest part ! :eek: Mind about DR i think he is made for the Arthur Kipps part in the film !

I've never read the book but would like too. Lots of complaints on IMDB that the film plot was signficantly different (and therefore worse of course :p) than the book.
    I'm awful when watching HP flms going 'but that didn't happen in the book!' so I'm glad I didn't read it before I saw it. I'd like to read it now though.

I think Dan was good too. It's just that I am an ultimate HP fangirl and it took a while to see him as Arthur. It didn't help that audience members kept shouting out thigs like 'Avada Kedavra her!' and 'whip out your wand'....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've never read the book but would like too. Lots of complaints on IMDB that the film plot was signficantly different (and therefore worse of course :p) than the book.
    I'm awful when watching HP flms going 'but that didn't happen in the book!' so I'm glad I didn't read it before I saw it. I'd like to read it now though.

The Susan Hill novel is well worth the read. I think if you accept that the play, the 1989 TV film version and of course the book are all different in their interpretation, then all the better. IMHO the book is the best, but all adaptations are worthy.
  • Options
    M.D.N.AM.D.N.A Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    Did 'TWIB' make it to #1 in the UK box office?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    M.D.N.A wrote: »
    Did 'TWIB' make it to #1 in the UK box office?

Yep:

http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/uk/?yr=2012&wk=06&p=.htm
  • Options
    Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kenny12 wrote: »
    I went to see it last night after having loved the book, the 1980's TV Film and Stage Play... I think they did a really good job, It's not perfect, they have taken liberties with the original storyline but I think it works... most importantly it is scary.

But as some have mentioned, the fact that it's a 12a and being half-term week... The screening I went to was a little bit spoiled by the hoards of tweens. I actually missed the big rocking chair moment that my friends all made a fuss about afterwards because I was so busy looking over and tutting at a particularly irritating gaggle of unsupervised oiks.

To be fair, I think you have to be rather daft to go to the cinema when the kids are off school, unless there's absolutely no other way to see the film on the big screen. I avoid cinemas like the plagues during school holidays and weekends because nothing is worth trying to watch a film while surrounded by kids/tweens/teens. Nothing. I'd even rather wait for the DVD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laura P wrote: »
    To be fair, I think you have to be rather daft to go to the cinema when the kids are off school, unless there's absolutely no other way to see the film on the big screen. I avoid cinemas like the plagues during school holidays and weekends because nothing is worth trying to watch a film while surrounded by kids/tweens/teens. Nothing. I'd even rather wait for the DVD.

Well its the film makers fault for making horror films 12As ! ...gonna see this hopefully Monday and hopefully again the " Harry Potter Appreciation Society " will be at school ! :)