Bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE last night and have already got a virus

2»

Comments

• The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Providing you dont have Unknown Sources checked in security the Android is as secure as iOS.

As well as everything else download Android Assistant and give the cache and system cleaners a run.

Personally i would just reset the phone, you have not had it 2 minutes so you arnt going to lose anything.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, just do a factory reset...but before you do that give this a go

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.malwarebytes.backup

When set up again install your anti virus (I've never had a virus and I've been on android since day one).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Might this be of help at all?

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/web/malware-infected-extensions-take-shine-off-chrome-1216778
    Google's Chrome browser is in the spotlight following reports that extensions from its Web Store are being bought from their creators by agencies, pumped full of malware and adware and downloaded onto unsuspecting owners' machines as updated versions.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    McTeagle wrote: »

not for the mobile version it wouldn't, as extensions only run on desktop version of chrome.
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Hello again,

Well, I re-booted it, had a play around on the offending sites, and there was no sign of these ads.

Have now re-downloaded my usual apps (9gag, Instagram, Pinterest etc) and as of yet, still no ads. Phew! :)

I'm absolutely loving this phone now :D My husband is so jealous and now wants to get rid of his iPhone and get one now, but I said to wait until May/June for the S5 to come out.

I also downloaded a browser called Dolphin as a lot of people were raving about it across various forums and the like. Anybody else got this?

Also, what's the best Twitter app for Android? On the iPhone (I will eventually stop starting sentences like that, I promise) I used to use the paid-for app Tweetbot, and it was an awesome app. A real shame the Play store (or is it called "Google Play"?) don't have it as I use Twitter a lot :(

And 3 more quick questions, sorry!

Is there such a way to do a quick-scroll to the top of the page? On the iPhone (sorry! :D), you'd just have to tap the highest point of the screen and it would quickly scroll to the top of the page.

Why are there no back and forward buttons on any of the Internet apps? I understand that the back button-button (as in, the physical button to the right of the Home button) can take you back, but what if I need to go forward again?

Where can I acquire more Widgets? Are they bought via the store like apps?
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I agree, just do a factory reset...but before you do that give this a go

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.malwarebytes.backup

When set up again install your anti virus (I've never had a virus and I've been on android since day one).

I've already got AVG and Avast. Should I get this too, do you reckon? What's the difference?
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Hello again,

Well, I re-booted it, had a play around on the offending sites, and there was no sign of these ads.

Have now re-downloaded my usual apps (9gag, Instagram, Pinterest etc) and as of yet, still no ads. Phew! :)

That's good. Very weird you were getting ads like that in the first place.
    I also downloaded a browser called Dolphin as a lot of people were raving about it across various forums and the like. Anybody else got this?

Yup, it's a good fast browser.
    Why are there no back and forward buttons on any of the Internet apps? I understand that the back button-button (as in, the physical button to the right of the Home button) can take you back, but what if I need to go forward again?

You can press the menu button, then select forward.

Yup.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully it will all be ok now.

Also if there is one app that I think every Android phone should have is SwiftKey. This keyboard is amazing and so customizable. I could not do without it and am really getting use to the Flow input method (had it on other keyboards before like SlideIt and Swype but love it combined with the other features on this keyboard).
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello again,

I'm absolutely loving this phone now :DMy husband is so jealous and now wants to get rid of his iPhone and get one now, but I said to wait until May/June for the S5 to come out.

Also, what's the best Twitter app for Android? On the iPhone (I will eventually stop starting sentences like that, I promise) I used to use the paid-for app Tweetbot, and it was an awesome app. A real shame the Play store (or is it called "Google Play"?) don't have it as I use Twitter a lot :(

And 3 more quick questions, sorry!

Is there such a way to do a quick-scroll to the top of the page? On the iPhone (sorry! :D), you'd just have to tap the highest point of the screen and it would quickly scroll to the top of the page.

My daughter got an S2 when they first launched and her partner was a real Apple fan boy until he played with the S2 and he switched to the Galaxy asap. He's now using an S4 Active and I got the daughter a Note 3 for her birthday. Great phones.
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was like you a long term iPhone user since the 3G and found he switch to android fun but not entirely without problems, took me a while to get my head around the whole widget concept but now find them great, when you install an app they automatically appear in the widget list, I find yahoo weather, BBC news, twitter, signal finder and the music and alarm clock widgets useful, many you can resize and customise what info you want to appear in them, dolphin is one of the best browsers, I use it as I found chrome annoying and also found pop ups were everywhere..
    I find the google music app fantastic as fates the slow process of uploading my music from my home PC I now have my entire music library where ever I go, plus it streams well at high quality even with a poor mobile signal, unlike anything I used on apple, plus the screen size is fantastic, an iPhone looks like a tiny toy now in comparison..
    But things I do continue to miss about my iPhone or continue to annoy me about my s4 are
    - the lack of any type of iMessage/FaceTime
    - internet browsing isn't as good despite all the different browsers, in different ways I find them all clunky and useless for writing on forums in boxes like this site as it blocks the text box and jumps around, plus I'm not a a fan of the digitalspy mobile site, my iPhone and iPad display the desktop site just fine, yet android browsers have problems, even messing up the font size on each post, one large, one Random one very small..
    - I find the screen a little over sensitive to the point my phone will unlock by sliding the phone in my pocket next to my leg, and wrong letters will be typed on the keyboard while I hover over it.. While talking about keyboards I find the predictive text inferior to that of apple by quite some distance, which slows down text and post writing somewhat..
    That said, I love the change and until apple wise up and make a slightly larger screen I'll not even think about changing back, little things like the built in back button are invaluable and when I use my ipad I sorely miss it and hate tapping the page to search for the done button or where ever the app has put back button.
  • daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is an ad I get it when ever I go on nodq.com so frustrating though

@jaffboy there is a messaging like imessage kinda... its Google hangouts...
  • jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daclick wrote: »
    It is an ad I get it when ever I go on nodq.com so frustrating though

@jaffboy there is a messaging like imessage kinda... its Google hangouts...

Just started using google hangouts over the last few weeks as I found when I sent a emoji face in text on my s4 it was converting it to a mms and charging me a fortune and someone recommended it as a workaround,
    It has my email address and google details in it but still sends out SMS texts to people in my phone book who I have the email address and used to work ok on iMessage,
    So apart from my work around issue, I can't see the point of hangouts at the moment!
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    You can press the menu button, then select forward.

Thanks for the tip!
    Hopefully it will all be ok now.

Also if there is one app that I think every Android phone should have is SwiftKey. This keyboard is amazing and so customizable. I could not do without it and am really getting use to the Flow input method (had it on other keyboards before like SlideIt and Swype but love it combined with the other features on this keyboard).

Thanks for this! I downloaded the trial and I LOVE it!!! However, in text messages (as opposed to WhatsApp) and come to think of it, everywhere APART from WhatsApp, I don't get my Emoji keyboard option. Any idea why this is? I do love my emoticons, especially in twitter! But like I say, my Swift Keyboard doesn't give me that option. Only does so in WhatsApp.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for this! I downloaded the trial and I LOVE it!!! However, in text messages (as opposed to WhatsApp) and come to think of it, everywhere APART from WhatsApp, I don't get my Emoji keyboard option. Any idea why this is? I do love my emoticons, especially in twitter! But like I say, my Swift Keyboard doesn't give me that option. Only does so in WhatsApp.

You can just hold the ENTER key in the bottom right of the keyboard down for a couple ofsecondsto get all the emoticons.

Also you can set the amount of time it takes for the secondary character to come up when you hold the keys down (like how long you have to hold a key down to get a number).

I have also enabled cursor arrows on my keyboard as well.

Just hold down the 123 key in the bottom right to get into the Settings (I've changed mine right down so I only have to hold the key down for less than quarter of a second).

Also have you got FLOW enabled (where you just slide your finger over the keyboard instead of typing)? It takes a bit of getting use to, but it's a lot quicker once you do get use to it.

I just love the way you can customise SwiftKey with different settings and themes.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello again,

Carbon
    Tweetlanes
    Plume

...and my personal favourite FalconPro This is not on the Play store any more because it has used all it's Twitter "tokens", so you have to download it direct from the developer. (It is safe).
    There is workaround to the token issue if you so wish to try it. It's not as difficult as it looks ;)
    Forum Member
    You can just hold the ENTER key in the bottom right of the keyboard down for a couple ofsecondsto get all the emoticons.

Also you can set the amount of time it takes for the secondary character to come up when you hold the keys down (like how long you have to hold a key down to get a number).

I have also enabled cursor arrows on my keyboard as well.

Just hold down the 123 key in the bottom right to get into the Settings (I've changed mine right down so I only have to hold the key down for less than quarter of a second).

Also have you got FLOW enabled (where you just slide your finger over the keyboard instead of typing)? It takes a bit of getting use to, but it's a lot quicker once you do get use to it.

I just love the way you can customise SwiftKey with different settings and themes.

Thanks for this. I also have the Flow thing enabled and I cannot believe how accurate it is!! I use it more than just tapping the keys now :D

You're right, there is a lot of customisation which is cool. Great app. Thanks for suggesting :)
    artnada wrote: »
    Carbon
    Tweetlanes
    Plume

...and my personal favourite FalconPro This is not on the Play store any more because it has used all it's Twitter "tokens", so you have to download it direct from the developer. (It is safe).
    There is workaround to the token issue if you so wish to try it. It's not as difficult as it looks ;)

I paid for and downloaded an app called Tweetings as someone on the Android Central forum suggested it to me as it's quite similar to iOS's Tweetbot.

The main functions I need in my twitter app are:

Ability to view other people's mentions/@s
    Ability to set my trending topic area to UK
    Ability to view other people's (and my own!) conversations/threads

Do any of the apps you suggested do these 3 things?
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for this. I also have the Flow thing enabled and I cannot believe how accurate it is!! I use it more than just tapping the keys now :D

You're right, there is a lot of customisation which is cool. Great app. Thanks for suggesting :)

I paid for and downloaded an app called Tweetings as someone on the Android Central forum suggested it to me as it's quite similar to iOS's Tweetbot.

The main functions I need in my twitter app are:

Ability to view other people's mentions/@s
    Ability to set my trending topic area to UK
    Ability to view other people's (and my own!) conversations/threads

Do any of the apps you suggested do these 3 things?

I'm an absolute Tweetbot addict. It really is the one thing that isn't matched on Android. That said, on my Nexus 4, I use the Pro version of Plume (no ads) after a lot of trials of others, and that seems to be the next best alternative.
    Forum Member
    I'm an absolute Tweetbot addict. It really is the one thing that isn't matched on Android. That said, on my Nexus 4, I use the Pro version of Plume (no ads) after a lot of trials of others, and that seems to be the next best alternative.

Glad to have found another fan of the incredible twitter client that is Tweetbot!

Tweetings on my S4 is OK in that it's got the 3 functions I desire (except when viewing trending topics it doesn't show you the top tweets which is disappointing) but it's main problem is that it's so slow! I cannot believe how slow it is to load someone's profile to view! It's so staggered and each and every item on their profile, right down to the actual "follow" button, takes a good 3-4 seconds to load.

I will have to give this Pro version of Plume a go. I got the free one at first and wasn't impressed but hopefully the paid for version will be better.

Silly Tweetbot! I hope they got a good deal from Apple by giving them their exclusivity!