QI (Re: Carrie Fisher )

Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
Forum Member
✭✭
Was she any good?

I know I'll get laughed at, but I cringe when you have bad guests who try to be funny when they are not. Nothing wrong with not being funny if you contribute in other ways or simply say nothing.

Comments

• timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it,and got the feeling that she had been
    snapped up,simply because of the new Star Wars
    films, and the fact that she was over here,and was
    presumably available? She added nothing to the
    show for me, and was simply filling the fourth seat!
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    She was very good value. A bit bemused by some of the British humour but a good sport about the inevitable, bordering on tedious, Star Wars ribbing she got.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought her best moments came at the start ("Those are good answers!?") and the end (her ear defenders) and at least she didn't guffaw loudly like Jimmy Carr!

K
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    I thought her best moments came at the start ("Those are good answers!?") and the end (her ear defenders) and at least she didn't guffaw loudly like Jimmy Carr!

K

She is always 'good value' on programmes like that.

Similarly I got really annoyed by Carr.
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's good friends with Stephen so I presumed he'd asked her to take part and she thought, "why not?"
  • knawtitypaosknawtitypaos Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    She looks a lot older than 58. Still I suppose thats what cocaine does for you
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »

K
    He can't help his natural laugh any more than you can.

I thought Carrie Fisher was good value considering she (like most Americans) isn't au fait with British humour. She seems to be prepared to have fun. The only other time I've seen her away from Star Wars was in Big Bang Theory when she was in the same episode as James Earl Jones.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find when they import a "guest star" American it kills the humour. Its like inviting someone round that no one else knows very well and they end up disrupting the natural flow between the rest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    She looks a lot older than 58. Still I suppose thats what cocaine does for you

Actually, I thought she looked just like most 58 year-olds do, as opposed to most people in her profession who have spent almost all of their adult lives desperately trying to look younger than they are, in many cases through surgery after surgery.

Look at this picture of Nicole Kidman taken last year when she was 46. Can you tell me that she looks good for her age?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/05/14/article-2627410-1DD4C9AD00000578-792_634x783.jpg

She looks so unnatural and for what? Nobody is going to ask her to play 20- or 30-somethings any more so why do it?

Women (and men) who age gracefully are far more beautiful than those who are faking it.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't agree more. Its tragic to see what the likes of Meg Ryan have done to themselves, when they could have aged so well. I mean they were fantastically beautiful to start with, so why not run with it.
    Julie Christie looks so good and Helen Mirren, Judi Dench etc, I'm presuming they've had no work done.
  • Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She looked as if she didn't get it half the time but that's understandable. QI was good though - Stephen Fry almost damaging the world's oldest artificial tree and the experiment at the end with all the ping pong balls.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    The only other time I've seen her away from Star Wars was in Big Bang Theory when she was in the same episode as James Earl Jones.

Which was the first time they had met because James was in a sound booth doing his lines.

When they finally met on BBT as they approached each other Carrie said: 'Dad!'

As others have said she is darn smart for someone who was snorting coke with John Belushi (and Robin Williams) the night before Belushi died and who Fisher said even Belushi said she had a coke problem!

She understands the impact Star Wars has and embraces it.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lou Kelly wrote: »
    She's good friends with Stephen so I presumed he'd asked her to take part and she thought, "why not?"

Yeah she was in his documentary about Bi-Polar.