Not going out

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Yay! Someone agrees with me that Lucy's sudden (to me) about-turn was surprising! As I said earlier, a few ''moments" in earlier episodes does not indicate you're madly in love and would suddenly, randomly agree to marry your lodger! Hugh Dennis' absence in this episode was ridiculous - but they've done the same with Tim the last 2 series. One mention, then it's like he disappeared off the face of the earth!

I was at a recording of an episode from the 6th series where they recorded a scene where Lee & Lucy had a snog. They didn't use it for the broadcast though.

I also went to a couple of the script read throughs for this series. The one for the wedding was in March, along with the Mugging episode. Then in April there were the Plane and Surprise, and that included Hugh Dennis.

I also had a ticket for the recording of the wedding, but I got there too late and didn't get in. I don't know why Hugh Dennis wasn't there, but his isn't a major character, and he might have had other bookings.

its a comedy show. Filling in information on the back stories for minor characters is fine, so long as it doesn't get in the way of a gag.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they did briefly at the end of the last episode but it was one of those /cut the screen in half, promote what's on next and after that as well pop bits with a voice over where they tell you too much in the space of 10 seconds.

If they did I definitely didn't hear it. Anyone else?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ahenry wrote: »

its a comedy show. Filling in information on the back stories for minor characters is fine, so long as it doesn't get in the way of a gag.

I have been amused at the very detailed analysis in this thread of a completely fictitious relationship! You begin to wonder if some people confuse fact and fiction. :)
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,544
    Forum Member
    hunter23 wrote: »
    They could have told us about it. I had no idea it was even on

Well i player and catch up TV services should make it available to watch for 30 days and if you have a set top box that allows you to save what you record then watch it at your pleasure that way, unless your set top box is set to automatically delete programmes which I would not reccomend as a setting. Helpful huh? :D:)
  • lankyguy007lankyguy007 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    I think a lot of us had noticed they were a couple in all but name for a while now. You can see my point from the first episode of the season. It has also been a running theme that they have liked each other throughout all seasons.

It wasn't an out of the blue moment for me.
    Yeah there has been a lot of hints and evidence for them liking each other. I still find it a bit bizarre that some people hadn't noticed that Lucy clearly liked Lee...

The only thing was whether it was believable that they'd just get engaged immediately instead of going out with each other first but I think you can just about justify it, as unlikely as it may sound.

There's a lot more outtakes on the DVDs than there were last night. Well worth watching.
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Well i player and catch up TV services should make it available to watch for 30 days and if you have a set top box that allows you to save what you record then watch it at your pleasure that way, unless your set top box is set to automatically delete programmes which I would not reccomend as a setting. Helpful huh? :D:)

i'll watch it later tonight on iplayer i think. if i hadn't have flicked over last night then i wouldn't have known at all about it. to hardly tell us about it and put it on that late was stupid.
  • jay seanjay sean Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Just watched the wedding episode, that was the best episode for a long time
    Forum Member
    hunter23 wrote: »
    i'll watch it later tonight on iplayer i think. if i hadn't have flicked over last night then i wouldn't have known at all about it. to hardly tell us about it and put it on that late was stupid.

The wedding episode was a repeat, I think it was originally shown last friday night as has the latest series in general. The out take one was shown just before the repeat. Do you have Sky? If you do, then maybe you should select the remind or record entire series option and whenever a programme you have set under a remind or record series is about to be shown, it will show in your planning guide.
  • MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I have been amused at the very detailed analysis in this thread of a completely fictitious relationship! You begin to wonder if some people confuse fact and fiction. :)

Not really but as a reply to one of my earlier posts said, it has to be believable to the viewers. To me, it's unbelievable that ANYONE would agree to marry someone they haven't had any sort of romantic relationship with. I know it does happen though. I also think there was greater comic potential in at least a couple of episodes showing them 'dating' and planning the wedding. Each to their own though. I enjoyed the episode and am glad if it is the end then some sort of closure was achieved.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really but as a reply to one of my earlier posts said, it has to be believable to the viewers. To me, it's unbelievable that ANYONE would agree to marry someone they haven't had any sort of romantic relationship with. I know it does happen though. I also think there was greater comic potential in at least a couple of episodes showing them 'dating' and planning the wedding. Each to their own though. I enjoyed the episode and am glad if it is the end then some sort of closure was achieved.

Some very strange things happens with relationships and marriages!
    Forum Member

People are giving their views on the/a programme, they know its fiction. Whats wrong with giving views about how good or bad a programme or film is?
  • TurbulenceTurbulence Posts: 4,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not going out,
    not staying in,
    Whatever will I do?
    Stand in the bloody doorway?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You do realise that fiction is supposed to reflect some semblance of reality, right? That's kind of the point of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turbulence wrote: »
    Not going out,
    not staying in,
    Whatever will I do?
    Stand in the bloody doorway?

Not going out
    Not staying in
    Just having a w***
    With my balls on my chin

I've been singing that for 7 series now, or however long its been. I think I may be ill.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    elnombre wrote: »
    You do realise that fiction is supposed to reflect some semblance of reality, right? That's kind of the point of it.
    Not necessarily. Fiction based on alternative realities is a whole genre in itself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Fiction based on alternative realities is a whole genre in itself.

And how often are the interpersonal relationships between the characters not based on normal human emotions and responses?
    Forum Member
    Am awful lot. It is a rich mine for writers to delve into. A simple and well known example is Spock from Star Trek.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am awful lot. It is a rich mine for writers to delve into. A simple and well known example is Spock from Star Trek.

I doubt Star Trek would have been the success it was if Spock didn't have human characters to react to him in a recognisably human way. And Star Trek's central premise was one of humanity too - that people (and okay, aliens too) of all walks of life could work together for a common goal. Besides which, to bring us back on topic, I don't recall Lucy from Not Going Out being a vulcan. ;) Seems to me she was supposed to be a rational and very down to earth woman.
    Forum Member
    Just pointing out the fallacy of your assertion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »

It's a vehicle for daft puns and situations and not much more. No wonder TV shows are analysed to death these days to the point where 'they are all crap because they have plot holes everywhere' when people are analysing 'Not Going Out'. Beggars belief it really does.

It's one reason I hardly use this forum anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just pointing out the fallacy of your assertion.

You still haven't. I never said sci-fi doesn't have non-human characters, I said fiction relies on recognisably human interpersonal relationships and the example that you cited clearly does so. It was in fact, Gene Rodenberry's core aim for the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    It's a vehicle for daft puns and situations and not much more. No wonder TV shows are analysed to death these days to the point where 'they are all crap because they have plot holes everywhere' when people are analysing 'Not Going Out'. Beggars belief it really does.

It's one reason I hardly use this forum anymore.

If Lee and the other writer's didn't expect the audience to have built up any investment in Lee and Lucy's relationship 1. they wouldn't have dragged it out for 6 years and hinted at it regularly and 2. the show certainly wouldn't have ended with a wedding and a 10 minute montage with 'The Power of Love' playing.

And yes, if you don't like analysis of TV shows, visiting a TV show forum probably isn't the best move.
  • Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I like NGO it really had jumped the shark around the time of Tim Vine's last series in it. Now Lee & Lucy are married, leave it at that. I can't see it working now. The whole show was based on them disliking each other but now it's gone full circle.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aidan11 wrote: »
    The whole show was based on them disliking each other but now it's gone full circle.

Technically it wasn't based on them disliking each other as Lee originally lived with Kate (Megan Dodds) when the series started.

Also didn't Lucy have a crush on Lee when she was younger?
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah there has been a lot of hints and evidence for them liking each other. I still find it a bit bizarre that some people hadn't noticed that Lucy clearly liked Lee...

The only thing was whether it was believable that they'd just get engaged immediately instead of going out with each other first but I think you can just about justify it, as unlikely as it may sound.

There's a lot more outtakes on the DVDs than there were last night. Well worth watching.

It was all done and dusted a bit quickly and I'm surprised they didn't make more of them getting together, just for the comedic value. I know it doesn't matter, it was only a comedy series, and the "plot" doesn't have to make sense. But I'm sure they could have created some amusing "situations" that were better than earlier episodes of the last series, using their upcoming marriage as the theme.