Silent Witness Series 18 starts tomorrow 06/01/2015

Comments

• boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    It was about the realities of the decisions social workers make. At no point did they make out she was doing it for anything other than best intentions. Her decisions led to consequences she could never have envisaged. As for the baby that decision was made when she was at breaking point and it was Nikki who told her to err on the side of caution. I bet social workers could identify with her far more than you think. They are not superhuman with special powers of being able to see the future even though media in particular expects them to be.
    It really wasn't im sure we're all perfectly aware of the dilemmas social workers face but this character was poorly written and unfortunately the acting was poor, not even a little bit convincing, did social workers a disservice.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So a little girl kills a full grown man with a screwdriver, & an old granny manages to kill hubby with a meat hook, & the abused girl is left with the pasty face useless social worker who just tried to top herself? Is that correct.
  • Durham ViperDurham Viper Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jende wrote: »
    But by ignoring the young doctors advice it didn't look good on her.

True, she didn't listen to the junior doctor, but the senior doctor was adamant that it was child abuse
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Talk about far fetched. More plot holes than a very holey gouda. I thought the hamster was very good though.

I thought he was very hammy. Didn't convince me at all that he was a hamster. Didn't even look like one. The makeup and special effects were rubbish.
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    I thought the hamster was explained when Nickii and Jack went to the grandads house to ask if Kevin had been home and could they see the room that he had been sleeping In,
    if you remember they found the box that the hamster lived in under his bed,now I took them finding it at the time to prove Kevin had a hamster but afterwards I thought that Kevin threatened his step Dad first, then the Grandad went out with the Step dad in the car afterwards took the hamster out of its box and planted it in the car to look as if Kevin had killed him -plausible?
    or when Kevin threatened him first the hamster was with him and escaped in to the car and hid,Step Dad goes round Grandads to ask him what he's been saying to Kevin then grandad goes with step dad in the car and kills him while hamster still in car! *phew* l-sorry for long post :)
    But I was only joking about the unanswered question about the hamster (as in Richard Lintern's character asking about the hamster and getting no definitive answer).
    I think that the hamster got out of Kevin's pocket when he was in the car and then stayed there while the grandad later killed the step dad.
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I wonder what they have planned for the 20th anniversary next year? Would like to see Sam Ryan and/or Harry return for a story.
    Harry yes. Sam no...please!
    I only really began to watch SW after Sam left, but I really don't like any old episodes I have seen with her in. It's as if the whole program revolves around her.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    I thought he was very hammy. Didn't convince me at all that he was a hamster. Didn't even look like one. The makeup and special effects were rubbish.

:D:D:D
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member
    via_487 wrote: »
    But I was only joking about the unanswered question about the hamster (as in Richard Lintern's character asking about the hamster and getting no definitive answer).
    I think that the hamster got out of Kevin's pocket when he was in the car and then stayed there while the grandad later killed the step dad.

Harry yes. Sam no...please!
    I only really began to watch SW after Sam left, but I really don't like any old episodes I have seen with her in. It's as if the whole program revolves around her.

I enjoyed it then and now. It revolved around her as it was more about the pathologists job as originally intended. Now Nikki and whatsit get more involved in the whole thing and do part of the job that should be done by the police.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    This series is great but sadly let down by dodgy continuity and strange story twists

- The disappearing blood on last episode on white shirt after stabbing in newsagents

- The blink and you will miss it grandad kill the cab driver scenario

- In the first episode where they find the iPod touch and find footage filmed by kid with the other man even though the kid avoided all technology not to be tracked

- Again on the 1st episode they get news conference announcement to make kid leave house and he bumps into policeman who he did not know was going to be there and they go to police station but some how the sniper is already at police station and kid starts fire to evacuate building
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought this week's episodes were good and it was nice to see more personal scenes with the main characters with how they are feeling about the case.
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Social workers work as part of a team. in the real world the SW would have had to run everything past her manager. I said immediately that the senior doctor was wrong in saying the injury was non-accidental. He could only have said that he suspected it may have been non-accidental.

Still enjoyed it though and it certainly showed that social workers in child protection have a shit job.
  • haggishantshaggishants Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Can someone please tell me what Lizzie says when she's found in the playground? I've replayed it a dozen times and can't make it out. Sounds like (to the social worker) "yes, you're the one who tried to kill me" .... but that can't be right , surely?

And, yes, I had to go back to see when/how Grandad killed the stepdad. It was said very quickly in one sentence from Gran giving evidence, and I missed it on the first pass. (I went to bed thinking Gran had done both murders so had to review it the next morning!).
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone please tell me what Lizzie says when she's found in the playground? I've replayed it a dozen times and can't make it out. Sounds like (to the social worker) "yes, you're the one who tried to kill me" .... but that can't be right , surely?

And, yes, I had to go back to see when/how Grandad killed the stepdad. It was said very quickly in one sentence from Gran giving evidence, and I missed it on the first pass. (I went to bed thinking Gran had done both murders so had to review it the next morning!).

You're the one that tried to steal me :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    People keep predicting the demise of SW but it's currently out performing Broadchurch and winning its slot.

It does seem to be doing well, doesn't it. I don't think it's been anywhere near as good since Tom Ward as Harry left personally speaking.
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My problem with SW is how glossy it is. Everyone's immaculately dressed at all times. Perfect hair. Hospitals spotless. The lab looks like the foyer of a 5* hipster hotel. Kevin, having just come out of care, looked more like he'd just come out of a boyband video (actor who played him is sensationally good looking though!).

I just can't take it seriously for one moment.
  • haggishantshaggishants Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    You're the one that tried to steal me :)

Yes, that fits. Thanks for clarifying.
  • Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    My problem with SW is how glossy it is. Everyone's immaculately dressed at all times. Perfect hair. Hospitals spotless. The lab looks like the foyer of a 5* hipster hotel. Kevin, having just come out of care, looked more like he'd just come out of a boyband video (actor who played him is sensationally good looking though!).

I just can't take it seriously for one moment.

Do you really think like this about SW?!:confused: I must admit that has never crossed my mind,they all look pretty normal to me as TV programms go,if I think about it then everyone on TV looks spotless as they've all been in make up before hand unless they are supposed to look grubby,
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only watched SW for the past few episodes. Yes hard to believe its series 18!
    I loved the underground episodes and this week was good too filmed around Acton.
    Now have to catch up on Alibi
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bit annoying that the bit with the Grandmother confessing to the murder and saying the Grandad went out to see the step father was so rushed. At the end before coming on this thread thought either the Grandmother killed the stepfather or the boy did it and got away with it!
  • Hackney1Hackney1 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How sorry did people feel for Kevin. My heart went out to him all the way through. Without knowing what he'd been through we'd have judged him so harshly perhaps. Poor kid, just wanted his sisters back with him and to protect them.

Suspected the grandfather almost straight away. didn't suspect the SW of abuse but wondered where they were going with her part in the story ..

wondered how the SW would have remembered Mary's adoptive address - turns out she didn't!

Enjoying the whole series so far, giving up on the overly hyped BoredChurch (didn't think Series 1 was all that either, compared to other shows).

I enjoy Spiral, the gritty French dram on BBC4 and almost enjoyed Silent Witness as much.

One thought on SW episode this week - how come Lizzie spoke so well without a trace of the accents of her parents?! (good little actress too, so much better than the Corrie kids!).
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to sleep during this and I saw the bit where Kevin was holding a knife to some guys neck in a car and woke up near the end where it was revealed he didn't kill the guy. OH was out so I was watching alone. What happened? How is it Kevin didn't kill the guy after all?
  • Hackney1Hackney1 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we didn't see any more of Kevin and grandfather in car after that scene. the obvious assumption was that kevin killed Daniel until near the end when the grandmother reveals that Daniel called to see the grandfather because of the lies he'd told Kevin about him and that they then left together in Daniels car - so it turns out that grandfather killed Daniel to stop him telling the truth about him.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hackney1 wrote: »
    we didn't see any more of Kevin and grandfather in car after that scene. the obvious assumption was that kevin killed Daniel until near the end when the grandmother reveals that Daniel called to see the grandfather because of the lies he'd told Kevin about him and that they then left together in Daniels car - so it turns out that grandfather killed Daniel to stop him telling the truth about him.

So Kevin puts a knife to Daniels neck and then, after threatening him, does nothing and let's him go and then his Grandfather takes over and kills him. Oh well, glad I missed it then.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty dull story this week, i found i didn't care what happened to a single character. I think i found them all difficult to relate to and i kept drifting off and thinking about other things and having to rewind chunks to see what i had missed. Not even sure i can be bothered to catch the conclusion tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    Pretty dull story this week, i found i didn't care what happened to a single character. I think i found them all difficult to relate to and i kept drifting off and thinking about other things and having to rewind chunks to see what i had missed. Not even sure i can be bothered to catch the conclusion tomorrow.

I pretty much agree , it was predictible, cliched and generally awful.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »

I felt the same to be honest