Options

UEFA Europa League

Comments

• Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And will Steve Gerrard give the ball again to Demba Ba (who is now at Besiktas) :D
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Young Boys v Everton UEFA Europa League Last 32 1st Leg
    18:00 ITV4 / ITV4 HD
    Roma v Feyenoord UEFA Europa League Last 32 1st Leg
    18:00 BT Sport 2 / BT Sport 2 HD
    Wolfsburg v Sporting Lisbon UEFA Europa League Last 32 1st Leg
    18:00 ESPN / ESPN HD
    Liverpool v Besiktas UEFA Europa League Last 32 1st Leg
    20:05 ITV / ITV HD
    Celtic v Inter Milan UEFA Europa League Last 32 1st Leg
    20:05 BT Sport 1 / BT Sport 1 HD
    Tottenham Hotspur v Fiorentina UEFA Europa League Last 32 1st Leg
    20:05 BT Sport 2 / BT Sport 2 HD
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking good for BT Sport

They will be promoting this strongly in advance of next season when they have the CL
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Besiktas v Liverpool UEFA Europa League Last 32 2nd Leg
    18:00ITV4 / ITV4 HD
    Inter Milan v Celtic UEFA Europa League Last 32 2nd Leg
    18:00BT Sport 1 / BT Sport 1 HD
    Fiorentina v Tottenham Hotspur UEFA Europa League Last 32 2nd Leg
    18:00BT Sport 2 / BT Sport 2 HD

Feyenoord v Roma UEFA Europa League Last 32 2nd Leg
    20:05BT Sport 1 / BT Sport 1 HD
    Athletic Bilbao v Torino UEFA Europa League Last 32 2nd Leg
    20:05BT Sport 2 / BT Sport 2 HD
    Everton v Young Boys UEFA Europa League Last 32 2nd Leg
    20:05ITV / ITV HD
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Besiktas v Liverpool UEFA Europa League Last 32 2nd Leg
    18:00ITV4 / ITV4 HD
    Inter Milan v Celtic UEFA Europa League Last 32 2nd Leg
    18:00BT Sport 1 / BT Sport 1 HD
    Fiorentina v Tottenham Hotspur UEFA Europa League Last 32 2nd Leg
    18:00BT Sport 2 / BT Sport 2 HD

Feyenoord v Roma UEFA Europa League Last 32 2nd Leg
    20:05BT Sport 1 / BT Sport 1 HD
    Athletic Bilbao v Torino UEFA Europa League Last 32 2nd Leg
    20:05BT Sport 2 / BT Sport 2 HD
    Everton v Young Boys UEFA Europa League Last 32 2nd Leg
    20:05ITV / ITV HD

It is unlucky for ITV that 3 matches involving British teams are kicking off at the same time but I suppose at the same time it is good for BT as they are getting two really good games involving British teams which if there had been two games kicking off at 6 and two at 8.05 BT would have ended up with the Everton Game which is pretty much over.
  • Options
    gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it BT Sport have the 1st pick on the games?? As obviously Spurs Vs Fiorentina and Celtic Vs Inter on paper seemed the tastier matches
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    gamez-fan wrote: »
    I take it BT Sport have the 1st pick on the games?? As obviously Spurs Vs Fiorentina and Celtic Vs Inter on paper seemed the tastier matches

No, ITV has 1st pick and i believe 2nd pick also
    Liverpool will bring in the viewers and to ITV, thats almost more important than what might look a better game.
    (Im a Liverpool supporter and i agree the Celtic Vs Inter Milan game looks way tastier)
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV have 1st and 2nd picks. ITV are always going to pick both of their matches in different timeslots. ITV are also going to pick Liverpool. This explains the choices.

I don't think the Liverpool match is decided yet. It wasn't as if the first leg ended up say 5-0 to Liverpool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV have 1st and 2nd picks. ITV are always going to pick both of their matches in different timeslots. ITV are also going to pick Liverpool. This explains the choices.

I don't think the Liverpool match is decided yet. It wasn't as if the first leg ended up say 5-0 to Liverpool.

No I dont think the Liverpool game is decided either but the Celtic game is 3-3 after the 1st leg it is all to play for too and was the better 1st leg in my opinion. Ideally ITV would have wanted

Liverpool at 6.00 and Celtic at 8.05 but it never worked like that
  • Options
    gamez-fangamez-fan Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the good ole days STV would have had an op out to show a game their audience would be more interested in
    which would have been Celtic Vs Inter
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gamez-fan wrote: »
    In the good ole days STV would have had an op out to show a game their audience would be more interested in
    which would have been Celtic Vs Inter

Only in the Champions' League (although for a competition that started in 1992, "olde days" is stretching the definition of the expression somewhat).

Since the UEFA Cup/Europa League rights were centralised, there's never been an STV opt-out. Prior to centralisation, it was an effective free-for-all for rights to individual matches.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    and was the better 1st leg in my opinion.

But thats not the basis for the match selection.

The 2005 FA Cup Final between Manchester United and Arsenal which finished 0-0 was a very very poor match. If the BBC and BT were basing their match selections on this criteria they would have clearly not bothered showing this seasons FA Cup match between the same two sides (or indeed any other match ever played in football as I would guess most clubs have had a match between the two sides which was boring.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But thats not the basis for the match selection.

The 2005 FA Cup Final between Manchester United and Arsenal which finished 0-0 was a very very poor match. If the BBC and BT were basing their match selections on this criteria they would have clearly not bothered showing this seasons FA Cup match between the same two sides (or indeed any other match ever played in football as I would guess most clubs have had a match between the two sides which was boring.)

I remember that FA Cup final, the last BBC screened until they got the rights back this season.
    My god it was appalling wasn't it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    I remember that FA Cup final, the last BBC screened until they got the rights back this season.
    My god it was appalling wasn't it
    No, the last FA Cup final before the ITV/Setanta deal was Cardiff v Portsmouth in 2008.
  • Options
    Ryan_BestRyan_Best Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Only way for Celtic to go through is to win or draw 4-4 or draw 3-3 and go into extra time and win on pens. I don't see them doing either, so to me that game is not as exciting as the others.
    Liverpool 1-0 up at Besiktas is actually one of the better games as Besiktas are at home and could win. The Everton game isn't a good one as it's basically over. Spurs is on a knife edge.

So personally, i would have had Tottenham on at the 6PM kick off spot. (FOR ITV)
    Then Liverpool at the 8PM kick off spot. (for ITV)
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ryan_Best wrote: »

So personally, i would have had Tottenham on at the 6PM kick off spot. (FOR ITV)

But Liverpool kick off at 6pm. ITV can't choose the kick off times.
  • Options
    mattwmattw Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ryan_Best wrote: »
    Only way for Celtic to go through is to win or draw 4-4 or draw 3-3 and go into extra time and win on pens. I don't see them doing either, so to me that game is not as exciting as the others.
    Liverpool 1-0 up at Besiktas is actually one of the better games as Besiktas are at home and could win. The Everton game isn't a good one as it's basically over. Spurs is on a knife edge.

I agree with what you're saying in terms of the Liverpool game being one of the better ones and it's also quite nice to show both legs of the same game (i.e. give the full story of the tie) on itv.

On your precise selections, the Liverpool game is on at 6pm so that and the Tottenham game clash. Personally I would have picked Liverpool for ITV(1) at 6pm and Everton for ITV4 and had an early news on ITV(1) if I had been controller at ITV (with soaps from 8pm).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mattw wrote: »
    I agree with what you're saying in terms of the Liverpool game being one of the better ones and it's also quite nice to show both legs of the same game (i.e. give the full story of the tie) on itv.

On your precise selections, the Liverpool game is on at 6pm so that and the Tottenham game clash. Personally I would have picked Liverpool for ITV(1) at 6pm and Everton for ITV4 and had an early news on ITV(1) if I had been controller at ITV (with soaps from 8pm).

Yeah I would have had it on ITV with this schedule

5.00 Regional News
    5.15 Itv News
    5.30 Besiktas v Liverpool
    8.00 Regional News
    8.15 Itv News
    8.30 Emmerdale
    9.30 paul O Grady for the love of Dogs
    10.00 News
  • Options
    Howard_GilpinHoward_Gilpin Posts: 2,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering ITV4 is not on Freeview Lite there must be some disappointed Liverpool fans out there.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Yeah I would have had it on ITV with this schedule

5.00 Regional News
    5.15 Itv News
    5.30 Besiktas v Liverpool
    8.00 Regional News
    8.15 Itv News
    8.30 Emmerdale
    9.30 paul O Grady for the love of Dogs
    10.00 News

Klaxon time...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering ITV4 is not on Freeview Lite there must be some disappointed Liverpool fans out there.

It is online on the itv website but of course not everyone has online access
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Klaxon time...

Do you purposefully go through every post to bully STV Viewer who is purely making a point of how ITV could have changed the schedule to show the Liverpool game on ITV instead of ITV4?!?!?!
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, the second legs of Chelsea vs PSG and Man City vs Barcelona, the first legs of which were on ITV, are on Sky Sports, which is even worse. I've said it before, the people absolutely desperate to see stuff on ITV4 who can't receive it via Freeview Lite and don't have access to it via another platform is absolutely tiny. If they can't get ITV4, Liverpool fans are missing a lot more Liverpool matches on Sky and BT.

Anyway, I know this thread and others loves to come up with contingency plans and someone on Twitter reminded me that the semi-final first legs this season are on 7th May, which is of course election day. If there's a British team in them they'll be on ITV1, but what happens if there's a load of injury time and it carries on past 10pm?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, I know this thread and others loves to come up with contingency plans and someone on Twitter reminded me that the semi-final first legs this season are on 7th May, which is of course election day. If there's a British team in them they'll be on ITV1, but what happens if there's a load of injury time and it carries on past 10pm?

I would imagine they'd just join the election coverage almost as soon as the full-time whistle goes, maybe with the post-match analysis hastily switched to ITV4.
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,401
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    I would imagine they'd just join the election coverage almost as soon as the full-time whistle goes, maybe with the post-match analysis hastily switched to ITV4.

Can't see it running over 10 being an issue, that's just the time the polls close, and the start of hours of pointless speculation, it doesn't get interesting until midnight when the results start coming in.