Options

Indigestion whilst pregnant

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
Forum Member
Hi all, I am 15 weeks and have had the odd occasion of indigestion so far. However I am now finding that I am getting it much worse than before and more frequently. I have got gaviscon but find it hard to bring myself to drink it as I find it has a similar consistency to phlegm!
Which foods are best to avoid and is there any other remedies which have worked for you?
TIA!!!

Comments

• Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    Rosie147 wrote: »
    Hi all, I am 15 weeks and have had the odd occasion of indigestion so far. However I am now finding that I am getting it much worse than before and more frequently. I have got gaviscon but find it hard to bring myself to drink it as I find it has a similar consistency to phlegm!
    Which foods are best to avoid and is there any other remedies which have worked for you?
    TIA!!!

Childbirth, the only remedy. Sorry!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mint tea, and ive heard jasmine tea taken with a meal helps prevent it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indigestion gets more common around where you are to the 20 week stage as that's when the baby starts to press on the diaphragm! Very little OTC you can take, people I speak to swear by old fashioned milk of magnesia, chewing liquorish, the list goes on!

A quick google of indigestion and pregnancy will give you 20,000+ women in your position. Good luck in finding your remedy :)
  • Options
    BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    Jeez, I sympathise OP. I suffered terribly and drank gallons of Magnesium Triscilate!! I mean gallons too. Row upon row of the damned little brown bottles. I couldn't get on with Gaviscon.

Avoid the obvious - spicy stuff and don't have too much dairy. And eat very slowly.

Edit -oh, and camomile tea, drunk slowly, eases it too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Childbirth, the only remedy. Sorry!

:D Short and simple but very true!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Milk and yogurt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Birdcage wrote: »
    :D Short and simple but very true!

Lol I hope it will be short and simple! Thanks for all the replies, I will try the tea ideas and avoiding dairy.
    I try to sit upright and not lay on the sofa whilst watching tv as that seems to make it worse (just doesn't help once I have to go to bed!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lol I hope it will be short and simple! Thanks for all the replies, I will try the tea ideas and avoiding dairy.
    I try to sit upright and not lay on the sofa whilst watching tv as that seems to make it worse (just doesn't help once I have to go to bed!)

Hard to get used to, I know, but try bulking your pillows up/using more and sleep kind of semi-sitting.
  • Options
    shuddupfluffyshuddupfluffy Posts: 3,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you'll have a baby with lots of hair!
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing that worked for me was sipping milk. It's horrible thing to have, isin't it?
    Try and avoid spicy foods and cheese, cheese being the one that use to murder me. I also think any kind of pastry had the same effect, even mashed potato!
    I hope you feel better soon and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.
  • Options
    toffeepennystoffeepennys Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I don't envy you , I had it real bad with both my two, I used to down a 600 ml bottle of Gaviscon a day, my gp waited till I got to 28 weeks then prescribed Ranatadine ( think that's the spelling) as she said the sodium in the gaviscon wasn't good for us,
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lived on soft, minty Remegel when I was pregnant as I hate Gaviscon.

It works wonders, tastes lovely and baby will be fine!

I had heartburn galore, don't miss those days.
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sleep on your left side and prop yourself up.

Avoid fat, spicy food, salad and dairy - milk will give you temporary relief but the fat will make the stomach produce acid to break it down.

Small, regular meals.

I got through gallons of Gaviscon. Don't envy you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm using the chewable Gaviscon and that seems to be working well enough. Could that be an option if you hate the liquid?

Oh, and try to avoid spicy and acidic food. I've switched from orange juice in the mornings to apple juice, and that's helping.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks again for all the suggestions! I didn't realise you could get chewable gaviscon, I will go to tesco tomorrow to see if I can find some.
    I will try the sleeping propped up aswell, I have lots of pillows and cushions around the house so I will go and collect some.

Is it true about the hair thing? My mum mentioned it aswellmbut I thought she was joking lol!
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks again for all the suggestions! I didn't realise you could get chewable gaviscon, I will go to tesco tomorrow to see if I can find some.
    I will try the sleeping propped up aswell, I have lots of pillows and cushions around the house so I will go and collect some.

Is it true about the hair thing? My mum mentioned it aswellmbut I thought she was joking lol!

Don't forget sleeping on your left side!

Helped with the pregnancies, helped with the stomach ulcer.
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    I always find I get more of the chewable Gavison in my teeth than in down where it's needed hehe. I've never been pregnant but I find a glass of milk with a spoonful of bicarbonate of soda helps. It actually tastes quite nice too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I will try and sleep on my left side, trouble is I am a bit of a fidget at the best of times, much to my husbands annoyance. I will definitely try though! The worst part now is when I roll onto my front and it wakes me up as my bump is starting to come out at last and it is uncomfortable.

Is it safe to drink bicarbonate of soda? I have got some but I don't really know what it is apart from you put it in scones
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried Rennies? If you have, do they taste any better. When I was pregnant 15 years ago I'm not sure Rennies were 'allowed', but they are now, and I know most pregnant women I've known prefer them to Gaviscon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be VERY careful with Gaviscon now, they have recently increased the amount of Potassium in it, at least the advance version. Not a good thing in excess at all. Normal gaviscon is of course ok if taken in normal doses.
  • Options
    shuddupfluffyshuddupfluffy Posts: 3,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When my son was born he had so much hair, everytime it was shift change we had about 6 midwives in our room to have a look at him! He was famous within the ward because of it.

I had quite bad indigestion and was constantly eating Remegel for about 8 months:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't know if the hair thing is true or a myth, but I had horrid heartburn from about 10 weeks, rennies where my best friend and the midwife put me on Zantac twice a day. My little one was the talk of the ward with her full head of thick hair!! she is 21 months now and on her 3rd hair cut, now has a shoulder length bob lol :)
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    I had horrendous heartburn, my son didn't need a hair cut until he was 2 and a half ... not true in my case
  • Options
    sweet cheekssweet cheeks Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP I feel for you. I had really bad heartburn/indigestion throughout my pregnancy and my obstetrician precsribed me zantac. I took 150mg a day (2 75g tablets) and never looked back! Didn't need to drink that yucky gaviscon anymore.

I did ask the doctor if the zantac were ok to take during pregnancy and she said that it was one of those medications the medical profession were just overly cautious about prescribing to pregnant women but she took them whilst she was pregnant herself and told me not to worry a jot.

PS my baby boy was born with a good mop of hair!
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a terrible time with heartburn, I would sit swigging Gaviscon out of bottle. I got to the point where I couldn't lay down without that horrible burning liquid coming right up into my mouth.

My son wasn't born with much hair, though he was six weeks premmie.