Options

is working modern day slavery?

OnexOneOnexOne Posts: 3,816
Forum Member
✭✭✭
this question goes out to all, everyone in work that either hate their work or love it! is work modern day slavery? lets face it many many years ago, did man have to work for a living? prior to money?

Comments

• Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    OnexOne wrote: »
    this question goes out to all, everyone in work that either hate their work or love it! is work modern day slavery? lets face it many many years ago, did man have to work for a living? prior to money?

Before money there would still have been slavery, and yes, those that didn't have slaves to do it for them would have had to work for a living. Usually hunting, gathering or farming. It was hard, and few lived beyond 40 years, much like the 3rd world today.
  • Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately if we didn't work, the world would ground to a halt? Obviously. So I dont think it's a modern day slavery at all. It's been happening since the word dot..
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes it is.
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suppose in the true sense of the word slaves were given tasks that could/would ultimately kill them, or at worst disable them at quite a young age, but, having said that in the coal mines before nationalisation miners were treated no better, I would suggest that if you like the job you have then it is not slavery, some days your job may seem most disagreeable (I worked outside, and in the present weather hated it), but on hot summer days?? eh!!, it was a great job, depends on your outlook to work, do you work to live, or live to work?
  • Options
    OnexOneOnexOne Posts: 3,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so prior to money, how did the world not ground to a halt back then?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    To the question......:rolleyes:

this question goes out to all, everyone in work that either hate their work or love it! is work modern day slavery?
    No, and it's an insult to all those who have been slaves
    lets face it many many years ago, did man have to work for a living? prior to money?
    Yes they did and unlike today, there was no over generous benefits system.

How can it be slavery when these days, you can choose not to work and be no worse off.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    There was always money or riches of some kind but it belonged to a tiny part of the worlds population who owned all the land so people had to work for them for nothing other than a tiny amount of food(slavery). Today people work to earn money which is not slavery though we are still heavily taxed by the rich which I suppose is a form of slavery in itself.
  • Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because they ate dirt & didn't have Corrie on the box :D
  • Options
    danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slavery is working for nothing. Slaves aren't paid, they don't own a house or get to go out of a weekend to get rat arsed and have fun... maybe if people have a job they enjoy it would be more of a hobby they are paid to do instead of working for the hell of it.
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well obviously it didn't, but things moved at a much slower pace, people who worked tended not to live to a ripe old age, or had jobs that caused them to become poorly when still quite young, some of that I suppose down to ignorance in he workplace, safety issues etc, we have moved on tremendously in working conditions, we don't employ very young people to do manual labour/work in the mills (if we had any), whilst I think there may still be room for improvement in some working conditions, I don't think on the whole there is any comparison to make between now and the 'olden days'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mankind has always had to "work" for a living.

This used to mean going out hunting, rooting about for roots leaves an berries, finding water, making skins into clothing, looking after offspring, finding heat and shelter etc etc etc.

Later on it involved farming, bartering, fighting off marauders.

The advent of money just made barteriing/working more flexible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    To the question......:rolleyes:

No, and it's an insult to all those who have been slaves
    Yes they did and unlike today, there was no over generous benefits system.

How can it be slavery when these days, you can choose not to work and be no worse off.:rolleyes:

No worse off?. I'm a hell of a lot worse off since I lost my job.

To the OP, you get paid for working, you are free to get another job (subject to availability and skill set of course), you are free to take holidays etc. So no, not akin to slavery in any way shape or form.
  • Options
    Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    Unless you have enough capital or assets to never work again in your lifetime, you're a slave.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost all of us are slaves, unless you are a banker or the owner of a big business - they're the people who are truly running the country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If we were all given a fair share of the earth's resources we wouldn't have to work half as much as we do now.
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's only the pampered people of the west who have absolutely no ****in idea of what slavery is yet whine about being slaves
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Đirona wrote: »
    it's only the pampered people of the west who have absolutely no ****in idea of what slavery is yet whine about being slaves
    What would you suggest the west should do to address this in-balance?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would you suggest the west should do to address this in-balance?

stop comparing their wrapped up in cotton wool lives to those who really have to work for a life
  • Options
    JustmadeitJustmadeit Posts: 7,512
    Forum Member
    i think by now with the technology available and if money was distributed globally and fairly then none of us should have to do more than a 6 hour day, say 10 till 4

in the past they predicted wed work shorter weeks etc, it never happened

if we just slowed down as a world,shorter working weeks would be possible. unfortunatly an arms economy and a world trying to please shareholders ruins everything

the world could be so much better but the love of money ruins it all

we are incredibly lucky in this country compared to many thats for sure though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Đirona wrote: »

They know what slavery is.

Just because someone isn't shackled in chains or being whipped doesn't mean they are still not slaves.
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I don't think it is Slavery,
    I perceive slavery as, being in Bondage against one's will, and owned by a master.

:)
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slaves were owned by slavemasters. The slave had no say in what they did and got no pay for it. They'd be beaten or raped or killed if the slavemaster felt so inclined and he'd never be brought to account for it.

Has anyone got an employer who is free to rape, beat and murder them, with no come back?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Slaves were owned by slavemasters. The slave had no say in what they did and got no pay for it. They'd be beaten or raped or killed if the slavemaster felt so inclined and he'd never be brought to account for it.

Has anyone got an employer who is free to rape, beat and murder them, with no come back?

There are degrees of slavery.

That is one of the worst degrees.

People in sweat shops are slaves.

If the unemployed are forced to work for their money then that will certainly be a form of slavery.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it is.

How did I know you'd say that?

Of course it isn't-it's a bloody silly question, if nobody worked, nothing would ever get done and society would collapse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They know what slavery is.

Just because someone isn't shackled in chains or being whipped doesn't mean they are still not slaves.

so what is your particular definition of slavery?

going to work?