Outdoor cat keeps pooing and weeing indoors

chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
Forum Member
Hello

My 8 year old cat, Kitty, has recently made it a habit to poo and wee in the house, even though she's an outdoor cat, and there is always a window or a door left open throughout most of the day.

Why is this?

There was a time when she'd be out all day and we'd be lucky if we saw her in the evening to feed her, but lately, she's been spending so much time indoors, and particularly in my bedroom. She's also become really clingy with me, more so than usual. I mean, we all know that I'm her favourite, but honestly, she's with me all day every day, sleeping on my slippers, or on my boyfriend's hoodie, or just sitting next to me and looking at me. She never used to be like this.

She hasn't pooed or weed in my room yet (thank God!) but she has done it a few times in the kitchen, and once or twice in the living room. And like I said, I don't know why because there is always a window open for her to go out.

We make it a habit now to make sure she is physically put out in the morning after her food, and then again at around 7pm. She hates it though. Meowing and whining and trying to claw her way back in. I hate doing it :( but she NEEDS to go out! Plus, she'll always come back about an hour later which is also very strange considering she used to be out all day long.

Also, about 2 weeks ago, I saw her do a poo in our garden and cover it up. Now she's never ever used OUR garden as a toilet (as much as that might anger some people/cat-haters :p) so does this have anything to do with it?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer.

EDIT: We've also tried a litter box but she doesn't use it. She just finds a plastic bag on the floor, or a pile of tea towels to do it on.

Comments

• stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like there may be a stray cat around that has frightened her so that she no longer feels safe in her territory.

Had a problem with my 3 cats recently but it took me ages to realise that there was a stray around because I am surrounded by woods. My 2 little cats became very anxious about going out and my big cat became so stressed that he had diarrhoea for two weeks. Normally they are all out and about all day but they became very clingy. Finally found out there was a stray tom terrorising them. He was starving, frightened and very aggressive. Took me two weeks to trap him........little b*gger was very smart (although I did succeed in catching a few neighbours cats in the trap!!!!

Once trapped, took him to a rescue centre, where he was neutered. Three weeks later, this viscious best had become a friendly, loving beautiful cat who was very quickly rehomed! He had just been hungry and frightened.

So I suggest you keep an eye out for any strays esp stray toms as this may be the problem. Ask the neighbours if they have seen a stray as well or if their cats have changed behaviour.

She does sound very stressed but persevere with the litter tray ( perhaps putting it just near the back door) and give her lots of cuddles and treats. She may also be frightened to poo outside because it leaves her scent. Let her stay in if it makes her feel more secure as locking her out if she is frightened will only make her even more stressed.

Hope that helps
  • tomorrowtomorrow Posts: 32,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat used to be an outdoor cat - but (by choice) is now always indoors.

She often asks for the door to be opened (ignorning her cat flap) - but has a sniff of the air and backs away from the door.

Our litter tray has a hood - although she has no shame or modesty!

I have returned to using the litter tray.
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    tomorrow wrote: »
    My cat used to be an outdoor cat - but (by choice) is now always indoors.

She often asks for the door to be opened (ignorning her cat flap) - but has a sniff of the air and backs away from the door.

Our litter tray has a hood - although she has no shame or modesty!

I have returned to using the litter tray.

Exactly the same with mine!! He used to be quite happy to trip the light fantastic all day long but the past 6 months or so you're hard pushed to get him out. I know some is down to the weather being rubbish but I think Charlie is just getting a bit old. He had his annual booster jab last week and we mentioned it to the vet and he said that as a cat gets older he/she will go out less and less.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I agree with stargazer - please don't shut your cat out OP, she is obviously stressed by something outside, most probably a new cat in the area. If she can't get indoors, she can't get away from him, which will be terrifyng for her and probably expensive (in vets bills) for you.

If she prefers a plastic bag to wee on (one of mine liked that too) try putting a plastic bag in a litter tray and see if she will use that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EDIT: We've also tried a litter box but she doesn't use it. She just finds a plastic bag on the floor, or a pile of tea towels to do it on.

There are many reasons why your cat won't use the litter tray: she may not 'like' the type of litter, its position may be 'wrong' (too close to his food, too visible, smelly) etc.

My outdoor cat has an indoor tray for backup purposes and it still gets used, despite me letting him out whenever he asks.

But like JoTaylor and tomorrow, my cat has hardly been out for months. Hopefully now the summer is coming -- it is, honest! :p -- he will be outside enjoying himself more?

My advice is to accept the fact that your cat doesn't want to go outside and work on the litter tray use. Shutting him outside is likely to make him worse....
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Thanks so much for replying, everyone! Really appreciate it :)

I did think that perhaps something spooked her, be it another cat or some yobs or something.

So I'll continue to keep the windows open in case she does want to go out, but I'll also put a plastic bag in her litter tray because that sounds as if it could work.

I also do think it might have something to do with the weather because she's a bit of a prissy little thing who doesn't like to get her paws wet :rolleyes: and probably doesn't like the cold either. We'll see once the weather picks up, I guess.

I do love how I can be sitting here on my computer and all of a sudden I hear this "MAOW!" and she's right by my feet looking up at me :) As soon as I get up to stroke her though she does that walking away thing as if to say "Yeah! Food! Let's go get me some food!... Seriously. Come on."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do love how I can be sitting here on my computer and all of a sudden I hear this "MAOW!" and she's right by my feet looking up at me :) As soon as I get up to stroke her though she does that walking away thing as if to say "Yeah! Food! Let's go get me some food!... Seriously. Come on."

You are one of us -- a slave!!! :)
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Thanks so much for replying, everyone! Really appreciate it :)

I did think that perhaps something spooked her, be it another cat or some yobs or something.

So I'll continue to keep the windows open in case she does want to go out, but I'll also put a plastic bag in her litter tray because that sounds as if it could work.

I also do think it might have something to do with the weather because she's a bit of a prissy little thing who doesn't like to get her paws wet :rolleyes: and probably doesn't like the cold either. We'll see once the weather picks up, I guess.

Charlie now refuses to eat his breakfast in the kitchen while its cold - it must be too cold on his paws (wooden flooring) so he strolls into the lounge and sits as if to say 'well come on I'm having brekkie here if you don't mind!'
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Roooty wrote: »
    You are one of us -- a slave!!! :)

I am such a slave :sleep:

I've also moved my hairdryer into the freezing cold spare room across the hall so as not to wake her up or scare her when she's sleeping on my bed. So pathetic!!! *hangs head in shame*

JoTaylor wrote: »
    Charlie now refuses to eat his breakfast in the kitchen while its cold - it must be too cold on his paws (wooden flooring) so he strolls into the lounge and sits as if to say 'well come on I'm having brekkie here if you don't mind!'

That's hilarious!! :D Talk about high maintenance!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    My cat loved going out last year but because the weather is so bad this year so far, he has stayed in a lot more but has been 'going' outside most days but the last two days he used his tray because it was wet outside.

It has been a really vile winter this year:(