Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Oh wow! Edith topples DM. I am enjoying the rewatch and looking forward to great moments like that - which had slipped my memory.

Edith fits the joke: I have PMS and a GPS. Which means I am a bit.ch and I know how to find you!

Scary, but she certainly shook things up.

And Lia Williams was so brilliantly cast...

BP never spare the pennies on recruiting peerless talent for their supporting roles

And, indeed, why should they ?

MC deserves the VERY best :)
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite all my troubles from damage to my home re: Hurricane Sandy, awaiting for people to repair same, I needed to escape to that world of PW, and especially to the romance between DM and LG. There are certain lyrics of songs that I have heard in my lifetime (and you can guess that I am up in age by the titles) that have just gotten under my skin and remain there. Many of the songs pertain to a certain point in the series, especially the rows and then back together. Here are a few, with some lines skipped over, that I think pertain to this great love story streaming throughout the series:

Love Walked In (pertaining to S1E1)
    Love walked in & drove the shadows away
    Love walked in and brought my sunniest day
    One magic moment & my heart seemed to know that love said hello
    . . .. .
    The Very Thought of You
    The very thought of you
    I forget to do
    Those little ordinary things
    that everyone ought to do
    . . . . . .
    The mere idea of you
    The longing here for you
    You'll never know
    How slow the moments go
    Till I'm near to you
    . . . .
    Embraceable You Embrace me
    My sweet embraceable you
    Embrace me
    My irreplaceable you
    I love all the many charms about you
    Above all
    I want my arms about you. . . . . . .
    Come to me
    Come to me do
    My sweet embraceable you

If it takes forever I will wait for you
    For a thousand summers
    I will wait for you
    Till you're back beside me, till I'm holding you
    Till I hear you sigh here in my arms
    Anywhere you wander, anywhere you go
    Every day remember how I love you so
    In your heart believe what in my heart I know
    That forevermore
    I'll wait for you
    . . . .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New poll up on www.docmartinonline.net - What does Louisa think when she realises that Martin isn't coming to the pub (at the end of season 2, episode 5)?
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    Despite all my troubles from damage to my home re: Hurricane Sandy, awaiting for people to repair same, I needed to escape to that world of PW, and especially to the romance between DM and LG. There are certain lyrics of songs that I have heard in my lifetime (and you can guess that I am up in age by the titles) that have just gotten under my skin and remain there. Many of the songs pertain to a certain point in the series, especially the rows and then back together. Here are a few, with some lines skipped over, that I think pertain to this great love story streaming throughout the series:

. . .. .
    The Very Thought of You
    The very thought of you
    I forget to do
    . . . . . .
    The mere idea of you
    The longing here for you
    You'll never know
    How slow the moments go
    Till I'm near to you
    . . . .
    My sweet embraceable you
    Embrace me
    My irreplaceable you
    Above all
    Come to me
    Come to me do
    My sweet embraceable you

For a thousand summers
    I will wait for you
    That forevermore
    I'll wait for you
    . . . .

I love those old songs too Marchrand -- (I'm guessing we're the same generation.):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madmother wrote: »
    New poll up on www.docmartinonline.net - What does Louisa think when she realises that Martin isn't coming to the pub (at the end of season 2, episode 5)?

A) I'm going to take this bottle of wine and bonk him over the head with it.
    B) I'm going to finish this bottle of wine THEN bonk him over the head with it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Brilliant. :):):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

B! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

. . .. .
    The Very Thought of You
    The very thought of you
    I forget to do
    . . . . . .
    The mere idea of you
    The longing here for you
    You'll never know
    How slow the moments go
    Till I'm near to you
    . . . .
    My sweet embraceable you
    Embrace me
    My irreplaceable you
    Above all
    Come to me
    Come to me do
    My sweet embraceable you

For a thousand summers
    I will wait for you
    That forevermore
    I'll wait for you
    . . . .

Great songs, and they do apply. Thanks!:)
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Great replies!

B plus addendum: I'm going to finish this bottle of wine THEN bonk him over the head with it....THEN, after he's knocked out, cover him up and kiss his head. :)
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.itv.com/presscentre/presspacks/thetown/default.html

If anyone finds out that MC will be on one of the chat shows, please let me know. I'll post it to YouTube.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Here's a link to the ITV press pack for "The Town."

http://www.itv.com/documents/pdf/THE%20TOWN%20PRODUCTION%20NOTES%20FINAL.pdf

According to someone on Twitter, it will be aired in three parts, beginning Dec. 5 on ITV1. The interview with MC is on pages 7 through 9. AND, at the end, he says, about the new series of Doc Martin, "The Doc and Louisa will finally marry. That's how it begins. . . "
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The interview with MC is on pages 7 through 9. AND, at the end, he says, about the new series of Doc Martin, "The Doc and Louisa will finally marry. That's how it begins. . . "

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

According to someone on Twitter, it will be aired in three parts, beginning Dec. 5 on ITV1. The interview with MC is on pages 7 through 9. AND, at the end, he says, about the new series of Doc Martin, "The Doc and Louisa will finally marry. That's how it begins. . . "

Thanks for this! I just went back and watched the ending of S5E8, just to get in the spirit of it. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Great replies!

B plus addendum: I'm going to finish this bottle of wine THEN bonk him over the head with it....THEN, after he's knocked out, cover him up and kiss his head. :)

...And

Run your fingers through his silvery, closely cropped hair...

Sigh

If only wishes were kisses :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am going out to choose my hat right now...;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Nice choice of songs Biffpup. I have a Portwenn Playlist on my iPhone. Just some of the titles are enough...

Boats Against the Current
    Everytime You Go Away
    Fix You
    Stumble On
    Maybe Tomorrow
    Never Be Mine
    Talking Out of Turn
    Wall of Silence
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As to MC's remark that he and Louisa will marry at the start of S6, got me to thinking, timewise. I realize that PW time moves at a much slower pace than the rest of the world, but how are they going to pull off that S6E1 starts almost immediately after S5E8? Will S6E1 be a flashback to the wedding (and I assume a christening) and then move the storyline forward 2 or 3 years? I know their relationship will not be smooth sailing forward to E8 of the series to be filmed. Series 4 was filmed in 2009, Series 6 will be filmed in 2013. Four years in anyone's life shows a difference in your looks and mannerisms. Another thought-- their living accommodations: will they move into White Rose Cottage as their home and DM use the surgery as his offices as in past series? I can't imagine DM's practice being anywhere else in PW other than the building on the hill.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow. This sounds much more certain (and deliberate) than some of his other quotes about it. Can't wait to see that ring move to the left hand where it belongs! :D

Looking at that press pack, seems his part in the series is bigger than I expected. The stuff we saw when it was filming made me think he was just a background character, but everything in that press pack makes it appear to be a significant role in the series (interview #2 right after the lead and his prominence in the publicity photos).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    http://www.itv.com/presscentre/presspacks/thetown/default.html

If anyone finds out that MC will be on one of the chat shows, please let me know. I'll post it to YouTube.

Woo hooooo! MC has said before that Doc and Louisa will marry, but he's usually followed it up with something like, "I think," or "I don't want to give too much away." This is concrete, definite, and there's no wishy-washiness with the timeline. "That's how it begins."

I noticed the description of the town in "The Town", so to speak, which struck me as Portwenn in another dimension. "This town, it's all secrets, everyone knows something you don't." In Portwenn, I think we could say, "This village, there are no secrets, everyone knows everything about everyone."

Thank you, Conniej and umbrellagirl, for the link. It's so nice having people keeping me up to date.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As to MC's remark that he and Louisa will marry at the start of S6, got me to thinking, timewise. I realize that PW time moves at a much slower pace than the rest of the world, but how are they going to pull off that S6E1 starts almost immediately after S5E8? Will S6E1 be a flashback to the wedding (and I assume a christening) and then move the storyline forward 2 or 3 years? I know their relationship will not be smooth sailing forward to E8 of the series to be filmed. Series 4 was filmed in 2009, Series 6 will be filmed in 2013. Four years in anyone's life shows a difference in your looks and mannerisms. Another thought-- their living accommodations: will they move into White Rose Cottage as their home and DM use the surgery as his offices as in past series? I can't imagine DM's practice being anywhere else in PW other than the building on the hill.

Marchrand, I thought they had definitely aged between S4 and S5, even though only a few hours had allegedly elapsed. MC more than CC. Doesn't detract from his appeal, tho. So I think they would have no compunction about doing the same again. When you think of it, there was the wedding, then a lapse of about 5 months when she shows up 6 months pregnant (assuming she was about a month pregnant on the failed wedding day); 2 and one half more months til the birth, then 2 more months until the end of S5. So, less than a year from the end of S3 to the end of S5 and presumably beginning of S6, in Portwenn time, and what, at least 6 years between airing in 2007 and 2013?

As for where they will live -- I'm still betting that they wind up on the farm (with surgery still in Fern Cottage). But I hope White Rose Cottage is available again for filming -- that was a nice place and seems bigger than where Louisa currently lives.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've misplaced my crystal ball. Rats! Seems to me that time was a little murky and indefinite in S1 and 2, although the fact that Louisa was still feeling stung by Martin's breath comments at the end of S1 indicate that not too much time has passed when S2 starts. Then "On the Edge" seems to follow immediately after S2 because Louisa is still stung by the stalker comment. We aren't really given any indication of how much time passes between S2 and 3, are we? S4 -- no doubt, six months.

In the meantime we've got assorted comments indicating the passage of years. For example, in S4 didn't Al say Pauline has been working for Doc for three years? That, to me, tells us we're to accept each series as something like a year in the weird and confusing passage of time in Portwenn. Toss into that weird mix the fact that, in truth, filming only happens every other year, so the actors have aged more than is indicated in the passage of Portwenn time.

And, of course, we know only an hour elapsed between the end of S4 and the start of S5, during which time Pauline was abducted by aliens.

Coming up on S6 we'll have a definite marker, the age of James Henry. So, marchrand, your question is a good one. Will the wedding and/or christening be seen as a flashback? Or will we see it in real time, Portwenn style, and the series will begin shortly after the end of S5? In my mind, I see wedding scenes before the credits in S6 E1, with the series literally starting with a wedding. Just a guess. In reviewing old forum posts from prior years I saw that there was a lot of speculation, like this, about the timeline going into the next series. Some people got it right, or were close, and others were way off.

Oh, and about where they'll live, I'm placing my bet on the surgery, although I do wonder if during S6 there might be discussion or shopping for another house, one that doesn't involve waiting rooms full of patients overhearing their arguments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Marchrand, I thought they had definitely aged between S4 and S5, even though only a few hours had allegedly elapsed. MC more than CC. Doesn't detract from his appeal, tho. So I think they would have no compunction about doing the same again. When you think of it, there was the wedding, then a lapse of about 5 months when she shows up 6 months pregnant (assuming she was about a month pregnant on the failed wedding day); 2 and one half more months til the birth, then 2 more months until the end of S5. So, less than a year from the end of S3 to the end of S5 and presumably beginning of S6, in Portwenn time, and what, at least 6 years between airing in 2007 and 2013?

As for where they will live -- I'm still betting that they wind up on the farm (with surgery still in Fern Cottage). But I hope White Rose Cottage is available again for filming -- that was a nice place and seems bigger than where Louisa currently lives.

I love White Rose Cottage. Such a lovely place. I would love to see them there. I still bet on the surgery though.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    In the meantime we've got assorted comments indicating the passage of years. For example, in S4 didn't Al say Pauline has been working for Doc for three years? That, to me, tells us we're to accept each series as something like a year in the weird and confusing passage of time in Portwenn. Toss into that weird mix the fact that, in truth, filming only happens every other year, so the actors have aged more than is indicated in the passage of Portwenn time.

In S4E1, Martin tells Edith that he has been the judge for the local pig contest for the last two years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys! Check this out! Doc Martin on a cappuccino cup, and in Southern California, USA! :D:D:D
    http://twitter.com/max_minghella/status/268169481673650176/photo/1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Hi guys! Check this out! Doc Martin on a cappuccino cup, and in Southern California, USA! :D:D:D
    http://twitter.com/max_minghella/status/268169481673650176/photo/1

Welcome back, ReneeBird. I was just thinking about you this morning and hoping your absence was temporary!
This discussion has been closed.