Options

Fried chicken and coloured friends fuss

shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
Forum Member
✭✭
Is it just me shocked by this? Not what was said, but the bloody fuss about it :eek:.

Comments

• Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fuss can't be all that big since I haven't a scooby what you're on about.
  • Options
    drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Is it just me shocked by this? Not what was said, but the bloody fuss about it :eek:.
    I'm not surprised, but only because I've seen it all before, and could therefore predict the exact response. But if you were going to ask me "does it deserve such a fuss" then no, to be honest. Just because a comment is ill-judged doesn't make it necessarily scandalous.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

are you giving clues at all?
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either I got up too early this morning or I'm missing something.
  • Options
    drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, blowing it way out or proportion.. aren't they all friends? I'm sure Sergio didn't say it to directly attack Tiger on the colour of his skin, I was annoyed that he even apologised in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

are you giving clues at all?

Sorry, its been on the news every time I've turned on the radio the last 24 hours, probably as it initially involved comments about Tiger Woods.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On BBC news NOW
  • Options
    Forum Member
    what a dick thing to say in an interview.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Pc brigade must still be around then. Ridiculous fuss :yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, its been on the news every time I've turned on the radio the last 24 hours, probably as it initially involved comments about Tiger Woods.

i don`t have tv.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, blowing it way out or proportion.. aren't they all friends? I'm sure Sergio didn't say it to directly attack Tiger on the colour of his skin, I was annoyed that he even apologised in the first place.

This. If Tiger Woods said I could come to dinner and he would cook fish and chips or a roast dinner I wouldn't blink. Some PC nut has stirred it up. Storm and tea cup spring to mind.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drykid wrote: »

thanks for the link. I think its up to the person a remark is about to decide whether it's offensive or not and not the rest of us. Maybe he likes fried chicken.
  • Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's been blown out of proportion at all. I'm not a person who broadcasts to millions regularly but I take pride in the fact that I have the appropriate knowledge in situations like these to avoid offending someone.

The term wants to seperate white people from all other colours of skin as if they can all be compound together into one blob: them and us. We may as well use the term "anyone who is not white". It's a term that is used by people who think white skin is superior. And, what's more it doesn't even make sense, since, like white, black isn't a colour either.

Regardless of it's stupidity, the term coloured is offensive. Anyone who uses such a term should be ridiculed, pitied, and then re-educated.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    This. If Tiger Woods said I could come to dinner and he would cook fish and chips or a roast dinner I wouldn't blink. Some PC nut has stirred it up. Storm and tea cup spring to mind.

on tv they have jokes about blacks eatting fried chicken.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If no one would have brought it up, it wouldn't be a racist remark. Why isn't the person who initially referred to it as racism getting put on trial for being an even bigger racist than anyone else?

Really annoys me, the people calling him racist are the actual racist people in this whole ordeal but they get away with it :confused: how can't people see that!?

EDIT: If I say racist one more time, I fear for myself... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If no one would have brought it up, it wouldn't be a racist remark. Why isn't the person who initially referred to it as racism getting put on trial for being an even bigger racist than anyone else?

Really annoys me, the people calling him racist are the actual racist people in this whole ordeal but they get away with it :confused: how can't people see that!?

how`s that work then?
  • Options
    PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nope. Sergio Garcia doesn't like Tiger Woods and is always taking shots at him. He knew exactly what he was saying. As I said in the other related thread Sergio Garcia is a jealous and resentful troublemaking punk.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    thanks for the link. I think its up to the person a remark is about to decide whether it's offensive or not and not the rest of us. Maybe he likes fried chicken.
    its case yet again of been offended on be half of others. i would hate someone to take it on my behalf.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    on tv they have jokes about blacks eatting fried chicken.

Is that a question or statement of fact?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    African Americans liking fried chicken (and watermelon for that matter) is a horribly old stereotype. (Though i guess most stereotypes are old & horrible)
  • Options
    PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is an old derogatory remark used to express racism. People liking or not liking chicken actually has nothing to do with it. It's the intention behind the remark.

Sergio Garcia knew exactly what he was saying. He doesn't like Tiger Woods and is always taking cheap shots at him. The guys an idiot. Instead of opening his mouth he should practice more and then maybe one day he could carry Tiger Wood's bag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how`s that work then?

Just because he has black skin, it means he likes Fried Chicken and would be offended by someone saying that? I'd choose Fried Chicken out of a list of unlimited other foods, but because I have white skin, that's alright, hell, I eat at KFC often, but again, because I'm white it's OK.

It's a stupid little insignificant thing and If I'm called a racist for commenting on a someone's culinary preferences then imo, they can f**k off because they're the racist for even thinking I'm saying it because they are black.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don`t have tv.

Well to be honest it was the radio news I was talking about. So did you hear about that murder in Woolwich?
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    The only possible consequence of all this silliness is that a lot of white people will feel they have to treat all black (can I say that?) people with kid gloves or perhaps they feel it is better to ignore them altogether if they possibly can.

Such a shame.