Options

Sky Box Has Reverted Back To Old Style Search Function

JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
Forum Member
My Sky box was in stand by yesterday morning and was on channel 998 as if an update had been done overnight. Just realised that the search function has gone back to the old style search. I have had the new style search function for about a month and now the old one has reappeared. Anyone else had this happen or can explain why. This is like a backward step. I have never known my sky box to downgrade before! Mind you it may mean I get the old style showcase back,

Comments

• Options
    David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is your box still runing R008. also the new search use's the internet to work. if your box is not doing so it will us the old search. all you need to do is reset your box in the network setting.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    is your box still runing R008. also the new search use's the internet to work. if your box is not doing so it will us the old search. all you need to do is reset your box in the network setting.

Not sure what you mean by running R008. But I have all the On Demand stuff connected ok. The Boxsets and catch up etc are all present. I will try a reboot and se if that helps.
  • Options
    dcopparddcoppard Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by running R008. But I have all the On Demand stuff connected ok. The Boxsets and catch up etc are all present. I will try a reboot and se if that helps.

R008 refers to the start of the software/model number shown under settings and details tab.
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,744
    Forum Member
    Strange. The new version search only arrived on my box yesterday when I first switched on.
  • Options
    airbusA346airbusA346 Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Strange. The new version search only arrived on my box yesterday when I first switched on.

Same for me; and I am glad it has reverted back, IMO the Enhanced Search is rubbish.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    airbusA346 wrote: »
    Same for me; and I am glad it has reverted back, IMO the Enhanced Search is rubbish.

Your box has not reverted back, it has just lost it's internet connection, then it shows the old search.
  • Options
    RobSmithSRobSmithS Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My box (drx895-c)had the r008.063.49.08p download early morning either on Wednesday or Thursday.

The new search (added for the first time as a result of that download) worked yesterday but today the search has reverted to the old style as others describe above. Box is broadband connected, downloads the on demand content fine, no known disconnection has occurred.

Also the other change I noticed (to do with Showcase/on demand) is outlined with the answers here:
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1920170
  • Options
    spearce8spearce8 Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Same here, channel 998 yesterday morning, I've one of those new built-in wireless boxes, old search is back, not complaining, never liked the *new* feature, you could never search for the next 7days without switching off your internet first.

Also experienced no 'disconnection'
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem. I tried to use search and it said there is no or a limited broadband connection and reverted back to the old search screen.

Catch Up and On Demand are working fine though. I'm on version R008.063.49.08P

Edit: I just checked their forum and Sky are aware of this issue, there is a problem with their servers.
  • Options
    horace_Tort1horace_Tort1 Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    My Sky box was in stand by yesterday morning and was on channel 998 as if an update had been done overnight. Just realised that the search function has gone back to the old style search. I have had the new style search function for about a month and now the old one has reappeared. Anyone else had this happen or can explain why. This is like a backward step. I have never known my sky box to downgrade before! Mind you it may mean I get the old style showcase back,

Same here I have R008.063.49.08P
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    I have the same problem. I tried to use search and it said there is no or a limited broadband connection and reverted back to the old search screen.

Catch Up and On Demand are working fine though. I'm on version R008.063.49.08P

Edit: I just checked their forum and Sky are aware of this issue, there is a problem with their servers.

Server problems at Sky.
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    same software version has you guys box was on channel 998 yesterday morning
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    The connected search seems to be working again on my box now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    airbusA346 wrote: »

How is it rubbish? It offers far more functionality to the previous version. Previously you could only search by programme title but now you can search for actors or items in the synopsis.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Wizross wrote: »
    How is it rubbish? It offers far more functionality to the previous version. Previously you could only search by programme title but now you can search for actors or items in the synopsis.
    It has it's positives and negatives.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It has it's positives and negatives.

I don't really see the negatives - apart from the lack of tabs for demand/guide/planner.
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree its far superior to what we had before I'd hate to go back to that.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't really see the negatives - apart from the lack of tabs for demand/guide/planner.
    Here are some examples

Oh dear. I find this update to be a big step sideways. :(

I like the power of the new search. I like the ability of the search to be performed in the planner - I have a lot of recordings !

I can do without the conflation of On Demand with TV Guide results.

I really, really, don't like the fact that a search no longer returns Planner hits alongside TV Guide hits :(:(:(

It used to be that you could do one simple search and, by tabbing sideways, you could review hits on the TV Guide, On Demand and Planner separately,quickly and easily. Now you would have to do multiple searches to go back and forth. :(
    ep1987 wrote: »
    Brilliant, they've removed a key feature. I'm guessing they haven't fixed the stacking issue (slightly different programme names not staying together in a stack, 'New:' tends to ruin things as does adding custom titles like they now do for A Football Life).
    Just noticed another backwards step.

Previously you only had to enter the start of a programme name, 2 or 3 letters would narrow it down enough but now you have to enter the full first word or risk it not being identified and also if the word is in an EPG listing it will bring that up also.

e.g.
    Typing in 'kar' then entries for Karl Pilkington will appear in the list but if you press select then no Karl Pilkington shows are in the results.
    I've found some more issues with the new search.

e.g. Type in War and then scroll down the list and select war.

Plenty of search results. How many? Nobody knows.
    It should say how many results have been found.
    It should also list how many pages of results there are as you could be there a long time scrolling though.

Also it should have extra filters.
    As far as I can tell it's just random.
    There should be an option to sort by name/title.
    There should also be filters to filter genres, films only, programmes only, On Demand and Sky Store.
    Yea, that's pretty bad.

I counted over 120 pages of hits ... that's about 1,000 hits.

Surely there is a clear and obvious requirement to list only hits with "war" in the title !?!
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Of course typing in a word like "war" is going to give you a huge number of "hits".
    The idea is surely that you then refine the search by typing in other words.
    For instance, typing "war" followed by "world" just gives you a few pages of hits, mostly containing "World War" in the title or synopsis as you'd expect.
    It's no different to the way that Google searches work with dropdown suggestions.
    :)
    I scrolled through 10-15 pages before I gave up.

Yes, it should have a 'titles only' filter.
    What about the film 'War'?
    It's been on Channel5 recently and may also be in Sky Store.
    How easy would it to be to find that?
    You type in war, it highlights it in the dropdown so you select it and then are presented with 200 pages of listings???

I don't see why selecting 'war' doesn't result with titles containing the word 'war' are not listed first.
  • Options
    airbusA346airbusA346 Posts: 261
    Forum Member

No tabs, and programmes aren't grouped into series.

And can't search by category, which I used quite a lot.