Taking a fake item back to a shop?

1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I bought an item (an ecigarette battery) from a large chain retailer, When I got it home I had issues charging it, I did a bit of googling and it was suggested my item might be fake or a copy, I went onto the manufacturers website who had a sheet on how to spot a fake, it had quite a lot of points and mine failed each one so it is a fake.

Fake or clone items are quite common with ecigs, eBay is full of them, its the price that gives it away, they are generally half the price of the original item however I paid full retail price for mine.

So my question is how exactly do I go about taking this back to the shop and getting my money back? As I stated this is a large retailer of 20-30 stores, I'm sure me going in accusing won't go down well.

Comments

• RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    Just take it back and tell them it doesn't work. You have no need to go in accusing them of selling fakes. You have a receipt. The thing doesn't work. You want your money back.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Just tell them it's faulty and not fit for purpose first, then refuse a replacement on the grounds that you think the batteries in them aren't genuine.
  • 1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Just take it back and tell them what's wrong with it.

Perhaps you should write to them explaining that you have concerns whether they are genuine products.
  • Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    I bought an item (an ecigarette battery) from a large chain retailer, When I got it home I had issues charging it, I did a bit of googling and it was suggested my item might be fake or a copy, I went onto the manufacturers website who had a sheet on how to spot a fake, it had quite a lot of points and mine failed each one so it is a fake.

Fake or clone items are quite common with ecigs, eBay is full of them, its the price that gives it away, they are generally half the price of the original item however I paid full retail price for mine.

So my question is how exactly do I go about taking this back to the shop and getting my money back? As I stated this is a large retailer of 20-30 stores, I'm sure me going in accusing won't go down well.

Just to say that price isn't always a giveaway. Sellers of fake items have been known to sell at close to full price too
  • AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has also been known for fakes to get into the chain before they reach the retailer who then has no idea his products are fake.

Take your e cig battery back to the retailer, explain why you think it is a fake, they may be unaware and will then need to withdraw the rest of their stock.

If you do not get a suitable response from them then head for trading standards. These fakes may be dangerous.
  • TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they get pissy with you tell them the charge they face is 'theft by misrepresentation'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just take it back with your receipt!!
  • debdawdebdaw Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I'd take it back saying that it doesn't work,and after a bit of research you think it's not genuine. You never know, they may be unaware if they are selling fakes, and might appreciate being told. You don't need to be accusatory, say that you thought they ought to know about it.