HO For Absolute Beginners?

CorstemmeeCorstemmee Posts: 976
Forum Member
✭✭
I have never, ever watched an episode, but am going to start trying to get into it.
I know there are numerous threads about various aspects, but it's too much for me to absorb.

If anyone's got time, please could you give me a run-down of who's who and what's going on - and anything else that might help a complete newbie?

Ta muchly. :)

Comments

• vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay...

The Blakes / Savages
    Dodger was raised by Dirk as his own but found out he was adopted and tracked down his Dad (Patrick) only to discover he has a twin sister Sienna. Patrick dated and emotionally and physically abused Maxine who Dodger fell in love with at the same time Sienna discovered her "dead" daughter was alive and Patrick knew where she was so they found her. Maxine eventually left Patrick for his son Dodger but not after having his baby. Turns out Sienna daughter is also her twin brothers daughter from a one night stand they had when they met as kids. A train explosion left their daughter in hospital and so Theresa - the mother of Dodgers baby - gave her kidney to help. Now Ssienna has Dodger held captive in the basement she used to get locked in because she wants to make more babies with him.

Will - Dodgers other brother is in prison because he faked being in a wheelchair to steal Dogers girlfriend then murdered her on their wedding day. Then murdered his Mum then held the entire family hostage before actually ending up in a wheelchair but he's now on his way back to also be obsessed with Dodger. I think it's the abs.

The Cunninghams...
    Cindy had a one night stand with a murderous doctor and got pregnant then her and Mercedes and boring Lindsey murdered him which made her go a bit mental (A LOT) and now she's a bit better but it was all dramatic. She loves Dirk which shows she's no longer a shallow gold digger. Her daughter Holly has a new face every other year and each face comes with a different personality. She's dating Robbies less interesting twin who is anorexic and a bit annoying.

The Roscoes
    Least interesting family ever. Freddie is in every scene and every story but his drama classes stopped at GCSE. He's boning his big brothers baby mama and fiance she has spent a year flipping between who she wants. Robbie is in a love triangle with his Dad and his old teacher who happens to be the ex wife of his long lost brother Darren who has a heart condition we knew nothing about.

The Osbournes
    Frankie and Jack just hang about. Tom just lost his virginity at the age of 5 (he's nearly 15 but he's always 5 in long term viewers eyes). Nancy is a massive **** and dresses like an 103 year old. She likes painkillers too much and has bad hair. Darren is the sexiest man alive and is very funny but kind of just floats around not doing much and doesn't seem too phased about his secret mum and entire family popping up.

The Lomaxes
    Tegan had a baby but didn't know she was pregnant it was from a gangster who was her mums frienemy. He got murdered. Turns out the baby got swapped at the hospital with her next door neighbours baby who she often looks after. Tegan has leukemia again and is maybe in a relationship with her sisters ex fiance after shagging him in a life during a gun siege at the hospital. Leela gave birth to Peri when she was 14 because EVERYONE is 14 when they have their first baby. The dad went to prison then came out of prison and all the secrets came out and he accidentally killed both of Leelas parents in a hit and run but nobody knows except for Freddie for no reason at all.

Grace and Trevor
    They are funny. She wants a baby. Former gangsters turned angry florists/bar managers.

Esther
    FOrmerly suicidal sometimes gangsters accomplice lesbian who bought a coffee shop with £50k she found in a bin and is now going to be surrogate tot he person she took the money from as means of saying "my bad"

The McQueens
    Myra the mum fell out with her daughters husband so she faked her own death. Theresa the cousin murdered Carmels husband on their wedding day then had his kid and a few other people died because of her bullcrap.Carmels fiance was murdered by local gangster but Carmel was engaged to her ex-husbands brother within a month of him sending Theresa to prison. Then he brainwashed Carmel and tried to kill Theresa on a train at a family wedding but it crashed and him and Carmel died instead. Mercedes is currently reall really not dead somewhere but everyone thinks she is. Phoebe kind of exists to make up numbers. JP is gay. He got raped by a student and then ended up marrying his former enemy despite him cheating constantly, doing loads of coke and getting his best friend pregnant. He might bang his cousins new husband.

The O'Connors
    Tony and Diane had a one night stand in a ot tub and she got pregnant so he didn't leave the country with the love of his life instead he stayed but he had a cancer so went on a weird drug mission in morocco then EVERYONE who ever engaged with Sinead either died or tried to kill themselves so she went a bit cray and become a prostitute then her baby died and she went mega cray and started taking revenge on everyone and seduced Tony but ended up falling in love with him which of course Diane found out on the wedding day and then it turns out the cancer made Tony infertile and the baby belongs to her gay best friend who is Tonys best friend and business partner but everyone is over it because after Sinead ruined her GBFs wedding day she got ran over by the local mentalist and almost lost the baby. Diane also does not know that her baby is Tegans baby.

That will bring you up to date with where stories currently are.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Grace and Trevor are brilliant - Grace is a character who was hated at first, but we've seen that she does have a heart. Trevor has been horrible but is now hilariously funny at trying to not be bad! He likes goldfish.

Sinead and Tony: Sinead is Tony's kind of step-daughter (Tony has twins with Diane, who he just married, and Diane is Sinead's step-mother from her previous marriage to Sinead's dad). Sinead's brother is Finn, who raped John Paul. He is currently in prison.
    Sinead drunkenly slept with Ste and is now pregnant with his child. She was with Tony (he had an affair and Diane found out on her wedding day) but they have now split up after Tony found out that he couldn't be the father of Sinead's baby because he is now infertile after chemotherapy (for testicular cancer which he got the all-clear for last year).

Edit: Ah, the above post now had the O'Connors in it :)

Peri and Tom recently slept together after they had a heart-to-heart about their parents dying. Oh, and by the way, Peri's 14..............(re: above post!)

Nancy and John Paul are best friends....although this changes depending on the writer! Finn attempted to rape Nancy, she didn't see who it was, and she reported it to the police but accused Robbie of being the person who attacked her. That was the day before her 2nd wedding to Darren and she went ahead with it. At the reception, Finn congratulated her and went to kiss her on the cheek (I think) and she smelt his aftershave and recognised it from her attacker and then accused him. No one believed her and that led to John Paul admitting that he was raped 7 months previously by Finn. Nancy later said that she 'had to be man enough' for the both of them - i.e. he didn't report it to the police, but she did. They had no scenes together until last week where they seem to be best friends again?!!!!!!

John Paul was raped in January and he did go to the police and spoke to Sam Lomax (Peri's mother - actually grandmother!) and he was in the process of being examined but he couldn't go through with it all and walked out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol that's pretty much it
  • CorstemmeeCorstemmee Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow! Thanks so much. :)

Must read and digest...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right - just read through all that and....

.... :o

.... wow - not sure how I'm ever going to get my head around that lot! Haha!

Think I just need to start watching, and refer back to this thread when I've got more of a clue as to who's who!

Thanks again. :)
  • FrancyFrancy Posts: 10,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would you want to get into HO now??? LOL Don't do this to yourself!! :D
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Corstemmee wrote: »

Think I just need to start watching, and refer back to this thread when I've got more of a clue as to who's who!

I picked it up around 2 years ago just by jumping in and asking a few questions here. The HO fans on here are lovely and always answer quickly and in a LOT of detail :D But I'm actually going cold-turkey on HO now. I haven't watched an ep since the day before Christmas eve, and I'm going to stay strong and not watch any more until that idiot producer is gone.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Corstemmee wrote: »

Yep, throwing yourself in and watching is the best way. This week will be everyone's favourite family the Roscoes centre stage. The thing to note about Hollyoaks is that each week a particular storyline or group of people will be the main focus, with maybe some small subplots or set-up for the following week. Therefore you can pick and choose weeks to avoid the characters you hate. Families tend not to acknowledge anything that exists outside of their own troubles so you won't get confused.

Although this is not the best era of Hollyoaks, you do have it easy in that the major retcons have already happened so it will be easier to accept the farcical twists and turns.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the last few weeks it has been getting a lot better but we haven't seen Freddie so....

Do just jump in and join us in the daily threads ask any questions you like. The threads tend to be very entertaining!
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now I read that back this show is absolutely NUTS
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh ask as many questions you like :) In time you'll get used to it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vkmax wrote: »
    Now I read that back this show is absolutely NUTS

Lol - I was thinking that!

:D
  • D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think your choosing the best time to start watching. With the 20th on 2015 they will most likely have a dip back into the past. Just start watching and if you need any questions we are all here to help you. :) Hope u like Hollyoaks, welcome to the Hollyoaks family. :)
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for this. Loved hollyoaks back when I was at uni during the browning storyline. Stopped watching not long after the bus crash and esther tried to kill herself.

Seems like half the cast have been killed since :p
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »
    Thanks for this. Loved hollyoaks back when I was at uni during the browning storyline. Stopped watching not long after the bus crash and esther tried to kill herself.

Seems like half the cast have been killed since :p

You are right about so many of the cast being killed off. I watched an episode from January starring Leela yesterday (as it was Kirsty-Leigh's birthday). Anyway, there was a scene with Nana, Carmel, Jim, Fraser and Sonny. Of these, Nana is the only survivor! :o