World Cup 2014- The Official Thread!!

Comments

• djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    A 10pm kick-off Russian time would be a 7pm kick-off over here I think.

Prime time in other words...

Yep that's right as Russia's time zone is now GMT+4 all year round after they adopted to keep daylight savings all year round. Hence they are 4 hours ahead in winter and 3 hours ahead in summer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Pretty sure the 2008 Champions League final in Moscow between Chelsea and Man Utd kicked off at 7.45pm BST and that went to ET and penalties
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Pretty sure the 2008 Champions League final in Moscow between Chelsea and Man Utd kicked off at 7.45pm BST and that went to ET and penalties

Yes, it was, and it kicked off at 2245 local time, summer in Russia has now changed and it will be 2345 local time if they were to start matches at 1945 UK time.

Also that was a one off match where the kick-off time was dictated by UEFA. This is a FIFA tournament with many matches in one country over 4 weeks.
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it was, and it kicked off at 2245 local time, summer in Russia has now changed and it will be 2345 local time if they were to start matches at 1945 UK time.

Also that was a one off match where the kick-off time was dictated by UEFA. This is a FIFA tournament with many matches in one country over 4 weeks.

11am, 2pm, and 5pm i think will be the kick off times....
    Forum Member
    11am, 2pm, and 5pm i think will be the kick off times....

Or an hour later at most. Not a chance in this world or the next will there be matches kicking off at 2345 or 0000 local time.
  • Darren_HaywardDarren_Hayward Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regarding 2018 KO times the 23.45 Russia/19.45 UK ko would most likely be for the final
    Forum Member
    Regarding 2018 KO times the 23.45 Russia/19.45 UK ko would most likely be for the final

Not a chance.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bet the BBC will have Nick Grimsaw commentary on the BBC Red Button that worse then cbeebies.
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or an hour later at most. Not a chance in this world or the next will there be matches kicking off at 2345 or 0000 local time.

7pm here is 10pm in Moscow isn't it during the summer? I don't think a 10pm local time kick-off is impossible but is probably around the limit.

I think the 2008 CL final kicked off at 22.45 local time because I remember Martin Tyler making a point in his commentary midway through extra time that it was 1am over there (Andy Gray said he'd never known Tyler be up that late!) which must have been 10pm over here = 3 hours difference.
    Forum Member
    7pm here is 10pm in Moscow isn't it during the summer? I don't think a 10pm local time kick-off is impossible but is probably around the limit.

Yup, any later than that and I will be amazed.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I tend to agree, although they may go as far as 10.30pm in the group stage.

i.e. group stage games at 4.30pm, 7.30pm and 10.30pm for matches 1-32, then 7pm and 10pm for matches 33-48 and 6pm and 10pm for matches 49 onwards.
  • stato77stato77 Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a chance. Latest kickoff will be 10pm local time in Russia, so whatever that makes that in the UK. 6pm at the latest?

Every stadium, apart from one (Ekaterinburg) is at most 3 hours ahead. Therefore, a 10pm local kick-off will be 7pm UK time. Like I said, there will be a prime-time kick-off guaranteed.
  • Stereophonic83Stereophonic83 Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure why people would think the KO times at the 2018 World Cup and mainly the Final would be at times considered prime time in the UK. When any WC is on the kick off times are relevant to the country which is hosting it. Luckily for us living in the UK, the time difference shouldn't have as much as an effect as say America or Australia.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure why people would think the KO times at the 2018 World Cup and mainly the Final would be at times considered prime time in the UK. When any WC is on the kick off times are relevant to the country which is hosting it. Luckily for us living in the UK, the time difference shouldn't have as much as an effect as say America or Australia.

A World Cup in Australia would be awful in terms of kickoff times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was mentioned on another thread but just to say here too - Gabby Logan will again be the BBC's England reporter this summer.
  • stato77stato77 Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nobody said all games would be prime-time did they? I would bet my house that the 2018 World Cup Final will be though!
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    When any WC is on the kick off times are relevant to the country which is hosting it.

wrong

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27187741
  • arunan22arunan22 Posts: 1,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep in mind a 6pm KO UK time would be either a 7pm or 8pm KO time for most of Europe - which is what FIFA care about. The UK, whilst being a big TV market isnt the only consideration!
  • Stereophonic83Stereophonic83 Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As the man in orthopedic shoes said, I stand corrected
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some World Cup Warm up matches on BT:
    Mon 26th May Australia v South Africa International Friendly 10:30 BT Sport 1 / BT Sport 1 HD
    Tue 27th May France v Norway International Friendly 20:00 BT Sport 1 / BT Sport 1 HD
    Wed 28th May USA v Azerbaijan International Friendly 0:00 BT Sport 2 / BT Sport 2 HD
    Sun 1st Jun USA v Turkey International Friendly 19:00 BT Sport TBC
    Sun 1st Jun France v Paraguay International Friendly 19:00 BT Sport TBC
    Sun 1st Jun Germany v Cameroon International Friendly 19:30 BT Sport TBC
    Fri 6th Jun Croatia v Australia International Friendly 19:00 BT Sport TBC
    Fri 6th Jun Germany v Armenia International Friendly 19:45 BT Sport TBC
    Fri 6th Jun Brazil v Serbia International Friendly 23:00 BT Sport TBC
    Sat 7th Jun USA v Nigeria International Friendly 23:00 BT Sport TBC
    Sun 8th Jun France v Jamaica International Friendly 20:00 BT Sport TBC
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder when we'll discover line-ups for the BBC/ITV. Think it is often around now for the BBC.
  • Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC are replaying their coverage of a number of classic World Cup games involving the home nations in full ahead of this year's tournament:
    Starting with England's heroic World Cup success in 1966, we'll rerun, in full and 'as live', the highs and lows of the Home Nations' campaigns of yesteryear.

Thanks to the BBC's innovative live technology, you will be able to watch or relive classic moments as though they are unfolding for the first time, including the 1966 World Cup final at Wembley, Archie Gemmill's wonder goal for Scotland in 1978, Gerry Armstrong stunning Spain in 1982, the 'Hand of God' in 1986 and Gazza's tears in 1990.

These matches will be replayed in full and will be given the BBC's full live treatment, including 'live' video, full text commentary and contributions from special guests with unique perspectives on the action, including Gary Lineker.

There will also be the chance to see the original BBC presentation from the likes of Des Lynam, and punditry from Jimmy Hill, Terry Venables and Sir Bobby Charlton, among others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27213333
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC World Cup Rewind:
    In the build up to this summer's tournament, the BBC will be bringing classic World Cup games of the past into the present. They will be broadcasting 5 games "as live" via the BBC Sport app on mobile, tablet and connected TV giving viewers a chance to relive some of the BBC's past World Cup coverage. There will also be "as live" text commentary online and special contributions from guests, as well as the chance to get involved via social media. The five games the BBC will be reliving are:

England v West Germany (1966 Final) - Fri 30th May 12pm
    Scotland v Netherlands (1978 Group Stage) - Sat 31st May 3pm
    England v Argentina (1986 Quarter Final) - Wed 4th June 3pm
    England v Germany (1990 Semi Final) - Sat 7th June 3pm
    Spain v Northern Ireland (1982 Group Stage) - Sun 8th June 3pm

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27213333

EDIT: beaten to it :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder when we'll discover line-ups for the BBC/ITV. Think it is often around now for the BBC.

Pretty sure I read on twitter somewhere that the BBC's would be released tomorrow. It's normally out by now.

ITV's tends to be later, normally in the last week or so of May.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure I read on twitter somewhere that the BBC's would be released tomorrow. It's normally out by now.

ITV's tends to be later, normally in the last week or so of May.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/worldcup2014

well there you go...