EastEnders dropped

Comments

• djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that the soaps weren't moved temporary to their sister channels during the World Cup tournament. I'm sure they could have moved EastEnders to BBC three and Coronation Street & Emmerdale to ITV2. Everyone gets these channels now that we are post DSO.

Also is there any need to have the soaps on Christmas Day? I'm sure a Christmas film would be more fitting then the daily drivel.
  • Jimmy SkitzJimmy Skitz Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    really kitkat you mention the hours of sport during these tournaments but how many hours each and every bloody week of the year are soaps dominating the airwaves? at least in sport there is an offseason
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,242
    Forum Member
    Again, sorry if somebody else has suggested it or it has actually been announced, but looking at the schedules for tomorrow and Thursday when there is no football, they'll cancel Traffic Cops on Thursday and run EE for an hour. It seems the most easily expendable item of the right length in the next few days to get back on track.
  • Teabag84Teabag84 Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djonshore wrote: »
    I'm surprised that the soaps weren't moved temporary to their sister channels during the World Cup tournament. I'm sure they could have moved EastEnders to BBC three and Coronation Street & Emmerdale to ITV2. Everyone gets these channels now that we are post DSO.

Also is there any need to have the soaps on Christmas Day? I'm sure a Christmas film would be more fitting then the daily drivel.

I am a soap watcher but in Xmas day it's about family stuff and the films that are on!
    Forum Member
    really kitkat you mention the hours of sport during these tournaments but how many hours each and every bloody week of the year are soaps dominating the airwaves? at least in sport there is an offseason

Did you not see my comment that I understand and accept the argument that soaps are on for a couple of hours every weekday night 52 weeks a year whilst big tournaments are not?

Does that not cover that point and show sympathy towards it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Again, sorry if somebody else has suggested it or it has actually been announced, but looking at the schedules for tomorrow and Thursday when there is no football, they'll cancel Traffic Cops on Thursday and run EE for an hour. It seems the most easily expendable item of the right length in the next few days to get back on track.

its been mentioned the scheduler for BBC 1 needs a kick up the backside for not thinking of the possibility of a World Cup game going to Extra Time
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Why did they have to drop EastEnders tonight? BBC has the two main channels :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you not see my comment that I understand and accept the argument that soaps are on for a couple of hours every weekday night 52 weeks a year?

Does that not cover that point and show sympathy towards it?

i missed that bit sorry
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

EastEnders has to try and make everyone miserable every Christmas
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teabag84 wrote: »
    I am a soap watcher but in Xmas day it's about family stuff and the films that are on!

Exactly, so there is no need to have the soaps on Christmas Day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quite sad really.
    Forum Member

I agree that now everybody has transferred to Digital so has these freeview channels it would have been the most sensible thing to do. To be fair, ITV2's transmissions of Corrie and Emmerdale have stayed exactly as they always are.

I suspect that even though everyone does have them, the schedulers think that many viewers won't check the schedules to realise they are on a different channel and will therefore miss them so ratings will suffer. This will be a particular concern for ITVwho might have media planners pulling advertising space. It is noticeable that both ITV and EE have seemed to try very hard to avoid clashing with the big football games even if it has meant changing the slot, I assume to minimise ratings damage. They don't care about stuff like the News, One Show, Celebrity Masterchef, Holby City.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    Why did they have to drop EastEnders tonight? BBC has the two main channels :(

BBC2 carried on Showing live coverage of Wimbledon
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I love a bit of doom and gloom in walford at Christmas! Lol.
    Forum Member
    its been mentioned the scheduler for BBC 1 needs a kick up the backside for not thinking of the possibility of a World Cup game going to Extra Time

I think they probably have but they just feel it is too complicated to come up with a third and fourth scedule for the games going to extra time, penalties or needing to show Wimbledon on both BBC1 and BBC2 in the evening. They already have to print a schedule 1 and 2 for the knockout stages of the World Cup.

To be fair, it is pretty rare for a big tournament like this to clash with Wimbledon. It BBC2 wasn't so tied up with that it wouldn't be such a problem.

No worries about not seeing that comment - it was at the end of the 3rd paragraph and I don't blame anyone for having zoned out by that stage!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No you missed my point he needs a kick up the arse for not simply saying EastEnders will air at 8pm weds to begin with and avoiding this in the first place
    Forum Member
    I love a bit of doom and gloom in walford at Christmas! Lol.

I do have to admit that the couple of times they've tried to do 'happy' it has bored me to tears! Plus, no matter how traumatic your enforced captivity with your family has been, seeing their traumas always makes you count your blessings!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Raging :mad:

I'm so mad I've just hit my neighbour with a big stick

;)
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they probably have but they just feel it is too complicated to come up with a third and fourth scedule for the games going to extra time, penalties or needing to show Wimbledon on both BBC1 and BBC2 in the evening. They already have to print a schedule 1 and 2 for the knockout stages of the World Cup.

To be fair, it is pretty rare for a big tournament like this to clash with Wimbledon. It BBC2 wasn't so tied up with that it wouldn't be such a problem.

No worries about not seeing that comment - it was at the end of the 3rd paragraph and I don't blame anyone for having zoned out by that stage!

The Summer Football tournaments have always clashed with Wimbledon.

BUT I thought BBC2 may have shown Eastenders at 8, seeing as it wasn't a British player playing, but it was a quarter final
    Forum Member
    No you missed my point he needs a kick up the arse for not simply saying EastEnders will air at 8pm weds to begin with and avoiding this in the first place

Ah I see, understand. That's a fair point - all they'd have needed to do was cancel Watchdog and put a half hour 'filler' on like a sitcom or quiz show repeat or cancel the One Show to clear the schedule for a day Football wasn't due on at all.
  • Teabag84Teabag84 Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once again, as an avid soap watcher I really don't see the problem. Soaps aren't reality and they aren't live. Things like Wimbledon help our economy. They can't be put off. What about the people who want to watch the live games? If soaps were on in their designated slot it just wouldn't work. Yes, BBC could plan for a longer game both with football and tennis - but it rarely happens and to keep everyone happy with informing them or changing plans would be impossible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah I see, understand. That's a fair point - all they'd have needed to do was cancel Watchdog and put a half hour 'filler' on like a sitcom or quiz show repeat or cancel the One Show to clear the schedule for a day Football wasn't due on at all.

Would anyone cry if the one show wasn't on? They hardly get massive figures
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I feel the BBC fail and god knows why they do this because they aren't a commercial broadcaster in the first place. Is that when Murray or any other top Brit is playing in Wimbledon, they move the live match from BBC TWO to BBC one to chase ratings?

They should keep the match on BBC TWO uninterrupted and not faff about with the schedule in place. It's not like anyone in the UK can't watch BBC TWO.
    Forum Member
    Once again, as an avid soap watcher I really don't see the problem. Soaps aren't reality and they aren't live. Things like Wimbledon help our economy. They can't be put off. What about the people who want to watch the live games? If soaps were on in their designated slot it just wouldn't work. Yes, BBC could plan for a longer game both with football and tennis - but it rarely happens and to keep everyone happy with informing them or changing plans would be impossible.

I basically agree with you. I love Soaps and would much rather watch even a bad one than a Sport event but I do appreciate that Millions feel differently, Sport is something very immediate that needs to be shown live, it doesn't happen all the time, things as big as the World Cup and Olympics are worldwide newswide events and something like Wimbledon does bring money In.

I would argue about Tennis and Football rarely over-running thought. It is a regular event at Wimbledon, especially in the second week and if they're behind in the schedule due to rain - which hasn't actually happened this year. Also, once you get to the knockout stages of the World Cup, i'd say more games than not go into the extra 30 minutes and then often to Penalties simply because thet have to get a decisive result. Every game i've seen this week (which is quite a few living with somebody that wants to watch) has gone to extra time and I remember this being the case in previous tournaments.

If I were the scheduler I would probably work on the assumption that they will and then have fillers ready to slot in should they not need that extra 45 minutes. Things like repeats of favourite sitcoms or quiz shows (Only Fools and Horses, Good Life, Royle Family, A Question of Sport, Would I Lie To you).
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    The Summer Football tournaments have always clashed with Wimbledon.

BUT I thought BBC2 may have shown Eastenders at 8, seeing as it wasn't a British player playing, but it was a quarter final

No,no no...they shouldn't tamper with the tennis. It's the highlight of my year and millions of others too.

This ^. People need to be adaptable. As you say, the soaps aren't live and can be watched at any time and in various ways.

Live (popular) sporting events should take priority.