Comments

• carvellcarvell Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ignore this
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    jonesyboy wrote: »
    How often do Sky and BT Vision, issue software releases? Not that often, so Humax are no different.

I can't compare to BT Vision, however ff the Humax box was half as reliable as a sky box, I'd agree, unfortunately from my experience it doesn't come close. Sky never suffered from locking up when left switched on for a couple of days, neither did it frequently miss recordings. If you paused a programme, it never jumped back to live TV when the programme finished, even though you were only a couple of minutes behind (in chase play). It also allows you to delete programmes whilst another was being recorded.

I could go on, but I know you don't need me to. Everybody that owns a HDR knows that the device has some fundamental flaws which shouldn't be there, and I'm hugely disappointed that Humax haven't fixed these core issues after almost 9 months.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryhhh wrote: »
    I can't compare to BT Vision, however ff the Humax box was half as reliable as a sky box, I'd agree, unfortunately from my experience it doesn't come close. Sky never suffered from locking up when left switched on for a couple of days, neither did it frequently miss recordings. If you paused a programme, it never jumped back to live TV when the programme finished, even though you were only a couple of minutes behind (in chase play). It also allows you to delete programmes whilst another was being recorded.

I could go on, but I know you don't need me to. Everybody that owns a HDR knows that the device has some fundamental flaws which shouldn't be there, and I'm hugely disappointed that Humax haven't fixed these core issues after almost 9 months.
    Who is is everybody that owns a Humax box that has some fundamental flaws.:confused: The only flaw that bothers me is the slow deleting of recorded programs. That is only a niggle. Not important as far as I am concerned.My Humax has not locked up once. Read these forums. not everybody has problems. :rolleyes: Things that could be improved . Yes. There are many worse manufacturers than Humax.

As for Sky being reliable. Having had many Sky+ boxes. None have been reliable. All had frequent lock ups . Being in the trade, our customers confirm this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    ...ff the Humax box was half as reliable as a sky box, I'd agree, unfortunately from my experience it doesn't come close. Sky never suffered from locking up when left switched on for a couple of days, neither did it frequently miss recordings.

You must be lucky with your Sky Service. My Thomson HD Box locks up about every 3-4 weeks - most recently just now during the F1. The only way I can get it back is to turn it off for a few seconds and then wait, and wait, until it reboots.

I agree that there are bugs with the Humax that are taking too long to fix.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,508
    Forum Member
    hillel wrote: »
    You must be lucky with your Sky Service. My Thomson HD Box locks up about every 3-4 weeks - most recently just now during the F1. The only way I can get it back is to turn it off for a few seconds and then wait, and wait, until it reboots.

As it's a Thomson it probably needs the faulty capacitors in the PSU replacing.

My Pace Sky+ has only ever once locked up, and I've had it since Sky+ first went 'free' with any subscription (was that July 2006?).

Any computer system can crash, and often it's caused by a poor and noisey mains supply - Thomson HD boxes seem particularly prone to mains borne problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    jonesyboy wrote: »
    Who is is everybody that owns a Humax box that has some fundamental flaws.:confused: The only flaw that bothers me is the slow deleting of recorded programs. That is only a niggle. Not important as far as I am concerned.My Humax has not locked up once. Read these forums. not everybody has problems. :rolleyes: Things that could be improved . Yes. There are many worse manufacturers than Humax.

As for Sky being reliable. Having had many Sky+ boxes. None have been reliable. All had frequent lock ups . Being in the trade, our customers confirm this.

Okay, fair point, maybe I've just been unlucky and have got one of the many boxes that appear to be prone to locking up and failing to record, but surely the number of people posting on this forum about these very problems would suggest that the number of people with this issue is far from insignificant.

Don't get me wrong, I hate to admit that the Sky+ boxes are better, in fact they were far from perfect, but they were far more stable than the HDR I now have. The HDR has a lot of potential, which I'm sure will be realised in the future, but right now, its so unreliable, it's bordering on not fit for purpose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ... failing to record....

Any chance you have power glitches, as was pointed out to me there is a bug with the HDR that after a power outage in standby it will not wake up and record.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, fair point, maybe I've just been unlucky and have got one of the many boxes that appear to be prone to locking up and failing to record, but surely the number of people posting on this forum about these very problems would suggest that the number of people with this issue is far from insignificant.

Don't get me wrong, I hate to admit that the Sky+ boxes are better, in fact they were far from perfect, but they were far more stable than the HDR I now have. The HDR has a lot of potential, which I'm sure will be realised in the future, but right now, its so unreliable, it's bordering on not fit for purpose.
    For you its unreliable. For many on here it is not. Who knows what percentage of users of any of the STBs post on here. E.G. many millions of people use Sky +. How many posters are there on DS. In comparison not that many. Count up the number of regular different posters there are on Freesat+. 50 max at a guess. Normally these sites attract users with problems, yet many are trouble free. It hardly says that the Humax HD PVR is awash with problems.

Not scientific I know. We have installed many thousands of SKY+ boxes over the years. Many people have lock ups. I have no idea what percentage. Some are hardware problems some are user issues. i suspect some Humax issues are the user. For example the Sky+ box does not like to be hurried. Does the Humax react in the same way? Who knows. I personally never hurry through any STB entries or menus.

I digress, but I.M.O. the Humax is no worse than all the other STB's I use(5) or have tried (To many to list).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    If you press schedule and red you get the buffered epg without loading a new one
    Yeah, I know but I've got a Harmony One and haven't got around to rearranging things to take that into account!
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any chance you have power glitches, as was pointed out to me there is a bug with the HDR that after a power outage in standby it will not wake up and record.

The power has to be off for at least around 30 sec and the foxsat has to be in sby at the time. Shorter than that or if the foxsat is booted it will continue to record it's schedule
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The power has to be off for at least around 30 sec and the foxsat has to be in sby at the time. Shorter than that or if the foxsat is booted it will continue to record it's schedule

Other things I can see are either lower priority (e.g. the delete fiasco) or potentially difficult to diagnose (lockups), this one is a howler though - you go off on holiday, one little power glitch and no recordings. Its not difficult to reproduce - I'm just lucky that in the last 2 years my power has gotten a lot more reliable as new homes were built in the village.

Who in their right mind releases a PVR that doesn't cope with power outage ?
    Forum Member
    As it's a Thomson it probably needs the faulty capacitors in the PSU replacing.

My Pace Sky+ has only ever once locked up, and I've had it since Sky+ first went 'free' with any subscription (was that July 2006?).

Any computer system can crash, and often it's caused by a poor and noisey mains supply - Thomson HD boxes seem particularly prone to mains borne problems.

Thanks for the feedback :)

The caps are fine, I tested them - that was my first thought, too. My mains is filtered and is clean.

My problem yesterday was that, for the first time ever, I was getting a HDCP error from the Sky box during the F1. The HDMI feed kept going off and I had to switch to Scart. (All this on BBC SD!) I had to carry out a hard reboot to clear the problem.

My Pace Sky+ box never locked up in the ~ two years I used it.
  • TernTern Posts: 2,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who in their right mind releases a PVR that doesn't cope with power outage ?

That would be Humax - assuming they are in their right minds. :)

Of course they probably weren't aware of the bug when they released the box. Or at least that's what I'd like to think.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,508
    Forum Member
    hillel wrote: »
    The caps are fine, I tested them.

How did you test them?, the only real way is an ESR meter - although checking for ripple on the capacitors with a scope is fine as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an old Daewoo Freeview+ box (well less than a year).

After a power cut it will come on in standby and thus it never sets the clock and because of that no timer recordings are made....

So Humax are not the only makers to miss the basic checks before they launch a product....

They are all bad!

Automan.
    Forum Member
    How did you test them?, the only real way is an ESR meter - although checking for ripple on the capacitors with a scope is fine as well.

I used a scope and a 100kHz, 0.5V p-p, signal. Crude, but effective!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wrt "Who in their right mind releases a PVR that doesn't cope with power outage ?"
    Tern wrote: »
    That would be Humax - assuming they are in their right minds. :)

Of course they probably weren't aware of the bug when they released the box. Or at least that's what I'd like to think.

Its simply not conceivable that they didn't test that - If testing was so badly planned we would have many more issues. No they would have known and somebody on the team classified the fault as not critical for fix before release.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I'm getting really bugged by mine now. I don't get trouble with recordings being missed - if i leave it alone and don't go near it it's fine.

However, it regularly locks up when try to take it out of standby when it's recording and it has also got a habit of switching itself off when i try to change the volume on my TV (but only if i press the button rapidly). Both of these make me think there's something wrong with the software treats IR commands.
  • boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tern wrote: »
    Well, seven months isn't really 'rushing', is it?

Quite, so you would think they would have released the first major bug fixes in a timely manner.

Quite, so you would think they would have released the first major bug fixes in a timely manner.

There's no point in pushing because it is now perfectly clear that Humax have no great concern for their customers.

2-3 months would have been quite acceptable.

4-5 would have been tardy but not too bad.

6 months was really pushing the boundaries of reasonable.

But we are now close to 7 months since the initial release and we still haven't even got a date yet.
    Mmmm,didn't know it had been 7 months,got a diferent view now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boyzie wrote: »
    Mmmm,didn't know it had been 7 months,got a diferent view now.

It should have been longer, but the launch kept getting delayed - presumably until the 02 firmware update was made available. Don't think much is know about the 01 firmware, except that it DID allow you to delete files whilst recording.
  • digitldigitl Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Panman1300 wrote: »
    I'm more and more convinced there was a duff batch produced, as all the people who have reported these freezes and had their boxes changed now don't have the problem (await response from those who got another duff box).
    I'm here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    savvy wrote: »
    That's not what Bob said - my reading of it anyway. Humax will release updates that will support BBC iPlayer. When BBC implement it at their end is up to them.

That's how I interpret it.

Rgds.

Les.

I understand the sentiment behind your words Les. Sadly it is not up to the BBC.

As in all areas the BBC has do everything after cutting through lots of red tape.

The BBC Trust does not now intend to publish a decision on the 24 July regarding project Canvas. In fact there is now no set date for a response. Full details are here.http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/consult/closed_consultations/canvas.html
  • nwhitfieldnwhitfield Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPlayer and Canvas aren't the same thing. Canvas is bogged down in red tape, but that's not the case with iPlayer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    What's the plan then Nigel?

Are we going to get iplayer coming to Freesat products like the Foxsat HDR first and then start again with Canvas if it gets the go ahead?

Since Freesat includes the other broadcasters are they going to want iplayer on Freesat products?

I'm not really sure where they are going with it right now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarification:

Canvas is a completely different beast, a beast yet to be fully defined. There is lots of debate yet to happen about Canvas so there is no need to involve it in discussion about any current products or developments.

iPlayer will come to both our current Freesat products, there will be an update to support things that the BBC need in order to run iPlayer in MHEG. So as not to spoil a great deal of strategy I cannot say when that update will be sent and I cannot say when iPlayer will launch. However, what I can say we are working hard and while many aspects are finished there is a great deal more testing needed. The work streams of the BBC and ourselves are complimentary but not exclusive we are working to deliver them the tools to do what they want to do, when they can do it. I know they are working hard to deliver new and exciting projects but it isn't my job to steal their thunder. They are very keen to move forward, as are we.

In addition we have taken the time to work on some of the more challenging issues people have had with the otherwise successful products. If anyone is having issues beyond just niggles, or problems with broadcast signaling, then you should consider your consumer rights and return the product for replacement or repair*.

*Remembering your retailer is with whom your contract of sale is with, as they have sold you the product.