Date for Updates announced - details

Comments

• pizzajohnpizzajohn Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Oh well, I tried.

Did everthing up to item 6

"6. Press and hold the STANDBY button on the front of the product. The product will now start up and the download process should start, please keep the STANDBY button held in for 30 seconds and then release. The following screen should appear on the TV set while the download takes place"

And that's where it fell down. Before 30 seconds has elapsed, the machine starts up and displys a channel then, turns off.

The only problem that I can attribute this to, is that the smallest USB drive I have is 2Gb and I've tried two.

Anyone else having problems?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    pizzajohn wrote: »

The only problem that I can attribute this to, is that the smallest USB drive I have is 2Gb and I've tried two.

Definitely looks like it is picky on USB drives - strange really because the first drive I tried had been perfectly ok with ordinary transfers.

Looks like you might have to wait a little longer..

Patrick
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well, I tried.

Did everthing up to item 6

"6. Press and hold the STANDBY button on the front of the product. The product will now start up and the download process should start, please keep the STANDBY button held in for 30 seconds and then release. The following screen should appear on the TV set while the download takes place"

And that's where it fell down. Before 30 seconds has elapsed, the machine starts up and displys a channel then, turns off.

Mine updated OK from a 2GB USB stick. Maybe it's down to individual sticks or manufacturers.

Rgds.

Les.
    Forum Member
    Definitely looks like it is picky on USB drives Patrick

Thought I'd cracked it. I tried a 16Mb Compact Flash card in a USB reader but that's no good either. Do you know if this the only way to upgrade or, will it upgrade over the air or, over Ethernet?
  • alan.walan.w Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    savvy wrote: »
    Mine updated OK from a 2GB USB stick. Maybe it's down to individual sticks or manufacturers.

Rgds.

Les.

Is it a formating thing? has it got to be Fat32 :p
    Forum Member
    Thought I'd cracked it. I tried a 16Mb Compact Flash card in a USB reader but that's no good either. Do you know if this the only way to upgrade or, will it upgrade over the air or, over Ethernet?

I think you will simply have to wait until this afternoon after 4pm when you will get the OTA upgrade.

Patrick
    Forum Member
    IOTA upgrade.

Patrick

OTA = Over The Air :o Aw Gosh!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Geoff_W wrote: »
    Not many, thankfully. But haven't you heard of Sod's Law?

Absolutely and of course it could happen. Put it this way, I have the same issue as you but I barely give it any thought as it is quite rare for a power cut to occur and I don't think I've ever returned from a holiday to discover a power cut has taken place.

It would be annoying I agree and I would like to see it fixed too. Maybe it will come. For the time being, for me, I'll be over the moon at being able to delete progs when a recording is taking place. WAHOOO
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan.w wrote: »
    Is it a formating thing? has it got to be Fat32 :p
    Mine's FAT32.

Remember to rename the files (both - 1 at a time, I did loader first) as per the instructions, it won't work with the original filenames (which are there for version identification), and it must be in the root of the drive, not in a folder.

Rgds.

Les.
    Forum Member
    Well, I've tried the following:

Pen Drives
    DaneElec 2Gb
    Crucial 2Gb
    Kingston 2Gb formated to FAT32

Compact Flash
    Sandisk 16Mb (via a USB interface)

None of these work.

So, I rang Humax and, after what seemed a lifetime, was answered by a most uninterested iok. I got the impression that he was just a kid as his use of words seemed to mirror txt spk!

I told him about my trials and was greeted with, "16Mb is too small, it's at least 700Mb". Funny, when the downloaded file is only 6.67Mb?

He offered no solution and didn't seem to know about or, understand anthing regarding the recomendation of a sub 2Gb USB drive.

Finally I asked about the OTA update. Again, the Milky Bar Kid didn't seem to understand. I gave up! I'll wait for that OTA update but, the only thing that I'm worried about now is, "is my rear USB slot OK?"
  • BurfordBurford Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I agree with Les. Mine wouldn't work until I re-named the files, i.e. delete the version numbers, then Bingo||
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll wait for that OTA update but, the only thing that I'm worried about now is, "is my rear USB slot OK?"
    Can you upload jpg/mp3 via the rear slot? If so, it's OK.

Why use the rear slot, can't you use the front slot?

Rgds.

Les.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Burford wrote: »
    I agree with Les. Mine wouldn't work until I re-named the files, i.e. delete the version numbers, then Bingo||

Read the update instructions.... it helps..... sometimes.... I did the same banged in the stick and wondered why nothing was happening then I read the instructions.... Dohhh,
  • HummyownerHummyowner Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    The download instructions state use the front USB slot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hummyowner wrote: »
    The download instructions state use the front USB slot.
    Yes, that's why I asked why he is using the rear slot.

It's easy to get caught up in the excitement, and just whack it in without reading all the instructions.

Rgds.

Les.
    Forum Member

It's easy to get caught up in the excitement, and just whack it in without reading all the instructions.

Rgds.

Les.

The instructions have changed from just over an hour ago. Wow, there are even pictures now and, yes it now says front and not rear. Encouraged by other's succes, I used my CF/USB combo ( to get below 1Gb) an hey presto...Nada!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member

Rgds.

Les.
    ...as the actress said to the bishop! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    I've got a Crucial 512MB USB drive, formatted to FAT32, renamed file in root and nothing! It just boots straight through to TV with standby button held down :(
  • alan.walan.w Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tryed a corsair 2gb key smallest i have it wasnt haveing that so put a 1gb SD card in a usb holded and it worked i have updated the loaded to 1.53, I think i will wait to see if the OTA update works for the softwear bit :)
    It does say on the instructions "We recommend using memory sticks of under 1Gb in size" :D
    Forum Member
    The instructions have changed from just over an hour ago. Wow, there are even pictures now and, yes it now says front and not rear.

Don't want to be cruel PizzaJohn... but before I upgraded mine I printed out the instructions which clearly state FRONT usb port, and that was more than 2.5 hours ago... I believe the expression is "bang to rights"...... :D

Patrick
    Forum Member
    I've got a Crucial 512MB USB drive, formatted to FAT32, renamed file in root and nothing! It just boots straight through to TV with standby button held down :(

Yep, that's exactly what I'm getting and, despite God knows how many attempts and variations to the process, that I've made, the only certain thing is that the stair carpet is wearing out!!

Just called H again and the USB drive has to be 1Gb or less. Software is available from about 4p.m. for manual update or, await tomorrow mornong's 'housekeeping" and it'll be there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Yep, that's exactly what I'm getting and, despite God knows how many attempts and variations to the process, that I've made, the only certain thing is that the stair carpet is wearing out!!

Just called H again and the USB drive has to be 1Gb or less. Software is available from about 4p.m. for manual update or, await tomorrow mornong's 'housekeeping" and it'll be there.
    Do we know if this will do both the loader and the main software?
    Forum Member
    Don't want to be cruel PizzaJohn... but before I upgraded mine I printed out the instructions which clearly state FRONT usb port, and that was more than 2.5 hours ago... I believe the expression is "bang to rights"...... :D

Patrick

Got a printed copy here too and it's rear!

Take a peek at this " http://www.humaxdigital.com/global/support/downloadcenter_model_tool.aspx?category_seq=61 " then order a retrial:)
    Forum Member
    Ha, ha.. but I have the evidence, perhaps there is inconsistency across the site. Glad yours has upgraded ok now though....

Patrick
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know if this will do both the loader and the main software?
    I don't believe the Loader will be available OTA.

If the OTA is interrupted for any reason with a Loader, it could brick your box.

Rgds.

Les.